iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Band Saw

Started by enj, April 28, 2008, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enj

I've heard a portable band saw (Mafell) is a valuable addition to building log homes...
I'd like to hear some opinions before I invest big dollars...
I've searched the forum and don't see any discussion...
Input requested...
Thanks in advance...
Ed

Tom

We've talked of a couple.  One is an Italian saw and I can't think of the name of it now.  There is also one by Falberg or Fahlberg that is used to carve corbells and stuff.   I don' t know much of the prices.  The subject usually was met with little interest by our timber framing guys.

Dave Shepard

Welcome, enj!

I don't know how well a bandsaw would work with log home building, as I am not familiar with the techniques, but they do have a niche in timber framing. I have seen crucks sawn on two sides with a band sawmill, or a swingmill, and then the other two sides sawn with a Mafell hand held bandsaw.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

enj

I should explain more...
Purpose is not to substitute for a sawmill...
But to use for cutting joints of various kinds...
The use of a circular saw requires multiple turns of the log...and in some cases completing the cut with a chain saw...not the cleanest way...
The thought was that a portable band saw might speed up the process of forming joints and ultimately result in cleaner cuts...
Hope that focuses the intent of use a bit better...
Thanks
Ed

Thehardway

Are you talking about a handheld model? I can see the usefullness a tool like that would bring, however many portable bandsaws do not have the throat depth or power to accommodate doing much on a log home scale.  Have you seen a particular model or can you give us a better description ie. size, power, etc?

I have a milwaukee portable bandsaw.  The width/depth of cut it has would not do much in a log and the blades are primarily made for cutting metal.  They plug up with wood very quickly.  I can see where a larger saw might work but then it would probably be more powerful than you could hold.

Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

witterbound

I know of some shops who are using a stationary band saw to cut curves.  Some even put the timber on dollies and guide them through the saw.  Must be quite a sight.  Some shops also use the stationary saws to cut the sides of tennons on braces.  I've seen pictures of shops using portable band saws, but I guess I don't know of any who actually use them.   Will be interesting to see what others say.

enj

Here is the link to MAFELL http://www.timberwolftools.com/tools/mafell/MAF-Z5Ec.html
Check out the video...however he shows only end cuts...
My thought is it would speed up cutting tennons and other cuts nicely...
Any thoughts...?
Thanks
Ed

maineframer

Enj:

We use a hand held pro-tool bandsaw in our shop. It is very handy on frames with multiple birds mouths as well as large through tenons and curved cuts.
We bought the saw about a year ago-----it saved us probably a week of labor on the first large frame we cut. If you cut several frames out each year I think it is a good purchase.

David
David

enj

David...
Thanks so much for the input...
This is exactly what I was wanting to hear...
Our feeling is the time saving would be valuable...
I was looking for verification...
Thanks again...
Ed

Thehardway

That's a a cool video.  So many toys so little money. :(  Sometimes it makes me want to be a production guy just so I can justify a cool new tool.  Now I understand what you are referring too.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

maineframer

Enj,

Yes, if your time is valued this tool is a good one.
I really don't think you would regret it.
Do you timber frame full time? Where is your shop?

David
David

enj

Actually I am getting my son the equipment he needs to set up his business...
He is a true craftsman and has done some really beautiful work...he's building a large barn right now...
I just got a TimberKing B-20 off eBay...after a few hours (actually a couple of days) and a new alignment kit for the unit we're finally cutting logs and not just breaking blades...
I have to give a few good kudos for TimberKing support...nice guys, very helpful...and actually didn't mind my many phone calls...
Previously he was using an older model mill (no name mentioned) which was in bad repair and actually quite dangerous...
So Dad stepped in... I would rather have the cost of good safe equipment than the other cost options...
He is of the opinion this BandSaw would be a valuable time saving addition... I accept his position, but wanted some confirmation from you guys who have much more experience...
Another cool video is from http://www.falbergsawz.com/ a nice piece of equipment but a bit heavy for cutting tennons, etc...
We are close to Wimberley Texas...
Thanks again for all the input...
Ed

LeeB

What are you using for logs in Wimberly? Cedar?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

enj

Eastern Red Cedar hauled in from East Texas...
Our land has not been cleared since 1931 so we spend a lot of time clearing...
It's mostly Juniper, with a good bit of Oak... some old growth Juniper, but mostly fence post quality...We don't cut the Oak...
We do some burning, but mostly chip...I have a Bandit 250 (12")...the Bandit is so fast three people can't keep up with it...I got it off eBay also...
Thanks for asking...
Ed

LeeB

I was just curious. I lived in Central Texas (Cedar Park and Liberty Hill ) for nearly 30 years. I figured you were trucking logs in from somewhere. I had heard of someone bringing in truckloads of pine somewhere out your way. Never did find out who it was.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Loren

I own a O@M Portable Bandsaw.  I have only used it a few times myself.

It's pretty cool.  It will do things that are very difficult to do without it.
It has an 8" depth of cut but that is pushing it.  It does best on
6" or under. 

I haven't done any timber-framing and I'm not sure I ever will but a
tool like this is fun to have around in case I ever need it.   There is some
commentary about portable band saws on the Timber Framers Guild
forum too.  You might want to ask there.

Tom

HEy Loren!!

Welcome to the forestry Forum.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!