iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

steel hydraulic line repair

Started by woodmills1, April 28, 2008, 08:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Anyone know If I can braze one of my steel Hydraulic lines on my tractor/loader to repair a pinhole leak?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gary_C

I weld those steel hydraulic lines all the time, but I gas weld with a filler rod. Thats the best way if you can gas weld. The problem is you have to disconnect and blow as much hydraulic oil out as you can and then you still have to get it hot to burn the rest of the oil off before welding. Stick or wire feed does not work as well because you have to turn the heat down so much to prevent blowing more holes that you can't burn off the oil. And I don't like to braze anything.

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

leweee

Any contamination when brazing results in pin holes. ::)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Dave Shepard

We have a lot of brazed hydraulic lines here on the farm. As you braze, the contaminants get cooked off. This is with tractors that probably make about 1800 psi max.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

My neighbor used to silver solder them all of the time.   You couldn't even find where he had worked.

woodmills1

Well thats what I am talking about, using my oxy acetyline to heat it to max then fill in the hole after I separate the metal and complelteley drain, then burn off the excess hydraulic fluid.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

isawlogs

Yes you can braze the line , its best though to gas weld them . All depends on what you prefer or feel comfortable with if you feel more comfortable with a braze ... go for it .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

woodmills1

Isn't the difference between braze and weld the filler or did I miss something???
I will use the gas torch, completely separate the metal from the rubber, use gravity to drain as much as possible then blow it out.  Heat and burn then apply filler.  Hope it works................Need loader soon.

isawlogs

Without going into to much technicallity . the difference is that a weld is the fusion of two metals together where as a braze is added metal sortof glued on ...  ;) 
  If you would like a more technical theory I will dust off my dictinary and start finding the correct terms  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

scsmith42

If the outside of the steel line is greasy, you will need to clean and degrease it very thoroughly before you weld.  Heating alone may not be enough to get it clean, and any grease residue inside the pores of the metal can create problems during welding/brazing.

I've brazed up steel hydraulic lines on farm equipment before w/o any problems.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Woodchuck53

Brazing is perfect for this repair. If your not a good acetelyn welder then you don't have to worry so much about creating a puddle. Just heat enough to remove the residuals from your draining, blowing are whatever and apply your brass rod. 1/16 borax coated takes less heat and is always ready to go. Have never blown out a repair. Whether heavy equipment with lots of pressure or your standard farm mounted FEL. Good luck CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Gary_C

Quote from: LeeB on April 28, 2008, 08:38:59 PM

Why not  ???  ???

I learned how to gas weld first and then never liked working with that brazing rod and flux. Plus if you get a hole to fill, it is easier to drip metal on with the filler rod and then going back and making it flow together. Plus it is stronger if you do it right and you can easily repair any pin holes. 

Yes you can repair it with brazing, but I much prefer gas welding.  ;D

LeeB

OK. I never gas welded before and very little brazing. Just wondered why you felt that way. Trying to learn something new.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gary_C

Gas welding is becoming kind of a lost art. It takes a lot of practice to be good at it and it does not seem to be used much anymore. Auto body shops did use gas welding to repair rusted body panels, but now they just replace the whole panel.

I learned to gas weld doing car body repair, but that is way to much work for an old man now.  :D

Cedarman

I take the line, blow through with an air hose and clean with a wire brush to make it shiny all around the hole.  I heat the line to a red temp all around to vaporize the oil then clean again.  I have used coated rod or plain rod that I heat, stick in the flux jar and heat both line and rod.  It should flow just fine.   I have done some pretty nasty cracks and holes.

No one ever showed me, but I did watch a lot of brazing repairs when I was a kid.

Get an old line and practice a little.  I think its kind of fun.  I have done this to lines on my big round baler that get rusty and develop pin hole leaks.  Fuel lines that crack. Big 3/4" lines on loaders.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Handy Andy

I used to try to fix those old hydraulic lines.  My experience is you fix it in one place and before long it will sprout a new hole in another place.  Now I just get a hose made to replace it.  They have fittings that will fit about anything, lots of farmer machine shops have hose making equipment.  Price it first, not every shop is reasonable. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

HOOF-ER

Just yesterday I brazed daughters car fuel line. Tricky part was burning off the gas so I could braze it. ;D ;D After looking at the problem and sleeping on it, decided not to spend half the day to dismantle upper half of engine. Worked great just keep weld area clean.
PS Neighbor came over to supervise ,thought I was nuts. Decided not to stick around! :D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

LeeB

Woodchuck53

Man be careful with that. Dismantle it and move away from the vehicle sir, Most people in this area bring that sort of thing to me. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

woodmills1

One guy that used to work for my father would braze holes in gas tanks.............he kept them full of gas................... :o :o :o

HOOF-ER

It wasn't as bad as it sounds. It was for the fuel rack going to the injectors. It was right up on top of the engine where I could get to it easy. I disconnected the fuel line and burned off the gas in the vertical part going to the injectors. Never even flared up when I put the oxy/act to it. ;D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

woodmills1

my lines arent old they just had a poor holder to star with and I smashed and bent them in the wood a few times.  Then I made better hold downs but caught a tree limb in the dark feeding the bonfire the other night and caused a leak.  I took them off today and man are they squahed and bent, no wonder the loader seems slower.  So I ponied up and bought new ones..............expensive they are.

Woodchuck53

Morning, in a pinch JB weld will repair a line in the woods. Had a hose on a Cummins repaired once in town. By the time I got in the woods fuel was every where. When the mech. unbolted the inj. pump and set aside he crimp the line. Of course putting it back the line cracked. They sent it out and here I am. BY myself in the woods and back then no cell. Had a JB tube kit and as for as I know that stuff is still on the truck 6 yrs. later. Another time I was in a hurry and set a rod holder on my work table with a stub in while tacking up something. Tripped over the well organized chaos in my shop and the rod grounded out against my torch body. Burned right through the oxy. tube on the torch. The other torch is at the farm so all I had was JB. Cleaned it real good and applied. After setting up drilled it out and am still using it that way. About 3 years. Wouldn't go any where with out it and a box of rags. Have a good one CV

dnalley

I'm confused...not unusual.  Are y'all talking about a flexible braided steel hose or a solid tube?  Reason I ask is that woodmills talked about separating the rubber from the steel ??? or something like that.  I just can't imagine doing a braided line but I guess stranger things have been done.  But then again, my question may be as dumb as it sounds :o :o

woodmills1

Was talking about solid line and should have said unbolted the rubber lines from the steel.  I bought the new ones and put them on this afternoon.  The hydraulic company calls them rigid lines, read that not cheap.  But, I had just plain forgotten how fast my metavic loader used to be, before I crushed and bent the lines out in the woods. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!