iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tool offer

Started by Jim_Rogers, April 28, 2008, 11:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Guys:
Recently, I found a machine shop who can produce this new tool for us:

What it will allow you do to is attach a combination square's ruler to your framing square to make accurate measurements.

Here is a shot of how I have set it up for my framing squares:

I joined two standard framing square together by boring another hole through the square and taping it to receive a small bolt. This made both square true to each other.

This is how I use it:

In the above picture, I'm using the "Slider Combo" to measure the depth of the housing of a centered mortise for a brace. This brace needs to be housed exactly 7 1/2" from the back side, which is the reference side.

The only way to do this is to measure around the corner and then in.

I've invented this tool in order to do this.

I'd like to make this tool available to you.

The cost is $49 $60 each plus shipping.

For $49 $60, you get just the "Slider".

You would attach it to your own framing square and use your own combination square ruler.

It only attaches to the 2" side of the framing square.

To make a run of these I need to sell at least five (5).

So, I'm opening it up to all timber framers here on the Forestry Forum, with a 5% going to the forum from each sale.

Once I have five confirmed orders, I'll instruct the machine shop to do a run, and when they are complete, I'll mail them out to everyone.

A confirmed order will require a deposit of $20, paypal accepted, no credit cards please.
Cash or check.

Please email for any further details to jrsawmill@verizon.net

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Just an update, I have received two orders so far, and one maybe.

Jim Rogers

Thehardway

Jim,

That's a neat idea.  I have been using a similar arrangement that uses two framing squares placed together with adjustable clamps or set screws as a tenon gauge.  It is very handy.  I have fabricated it here myself so I won;t be ordering, however, for those without fabrication abilities I will attest to the usefulness and value of this type of tool and urge them to order one and add it to their arsenal..

My setup permits the inside corners of the squares to be used without interference of the clamp.  It does not however provide for mortice depth measurements.  I think a little modification to the design could allow it perform both duties.  I'll try to get a couple pictures posted and email you with an idea for modifications.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Jim_Rogers

I have two confirmed orders and one order, won't be long now.....

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I placed the order with the machine shop this morning.
Although I never did get 5 sold, I'm moving ahead with this project.

Dave Shepard

If you don't get them sold right away, I'll see if I can take one off your hands a little later in the summer. I am in serious saving mode for truck parts at the moment, been buying too many goodies lately. :-\

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

I picked up the sliders at the machine shop the other day.
And as we have modified the design to be able to fit more standard framing squares and combination rulers the machine shop did less work and therefore lowered the price.
I can now lower my sale price to you to $49 each.
Anyone who has order one and confirmed their order with a deposit will only need to pay the balance due.
They are ready to ship.
I'll be emailing those who have confirmed their order shortly, and their package can go out as early as Monday.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I got some boxes from the post office and the box and postage is $4.80.
So the total with postage is now $53.80.

They are on hand ready to ship.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

Over the weekend I installed my squares onto the new tool.  The fit was very good.  I used my Japanese made stainless framing square (from Lee Valley) and the fit was snug without play.  That was very good.  I then installed my Starett rule from my machinists square and it was a looser fit.  This is good as this one needs to slide easily and a little play is not going to affect the depth measurement.  Great job on the dimensions Jim!
   Just a thought while assembling...the plate with the window has the slots for the square and rule.  Would it be easier to assemble if the slots were in the lower plate and the windowed plate was flat?  That way you could hold the lower plate in your hand, lay the square and rule in place, then install the window plate and screws in that order?  Just a though incase you do another run of them...
Brad
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Right now all the machining except for the holes is in one plate the top plate.
And the back plate is flat.
Doing it your way would mean both plates will have machining in them, again other than holes.
This could add to the cost.....I would assume.....

Brad_bb

You may be right in the smaller run quantities.  I'm used to designing for higher quantites.  There you'd have fixturing and the cost difference probbaly wouldn't be very significant.  Thanks for the tool!  Cant' wait to put it to use sometime in the next year.  I still have to drill and bolt my squares together...I'm not sure if I should get some cheaper squares to do that with or drill my good ones...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

If you buy two new squares, around $7 each, you could make up a pair like mine.
To do this bolt them together through the existing hole and then measure and create a new hole through both of them while bolted, on the tongue. This should make the new hole the exact distance as the existing hole and thereby make it easy to flip one of the squares over and create the "U" shape squares.....
Hope that helps....

Jim

Thank You Sponsors!