iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Liability insurance on the mill.

Started by Woodchuck53, April 26, 2008, 06:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodchuck53

Not sure if this is the right place but I am milling. Is there some noise about a mill on your home property not being covered. What I mean is should I approach the carrier and explain that I will want to take out a policy to cover accidents on site or if some one comes around while I am not there? Will they want to drop my homeowners? Will it be real expensive? Where I was set up before we didn"t worry about because it was family and a few custom saws for friends. My wife works in the industry as an insurance clerk for a very large timber operation. About 500,000 private acres and they have all kinds of stuff for there truckers, mill sites and logging sites. Probably some others as well. With my work schedule she ask that I have a way to totally enclose and lock up the mill when I am off to work. Any thoughts from you bigger guys as well as independents. Thanks Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

graydawn

i checked on my homeoners ins one company would not cover or even sell me a policy that wopuld cover my mill

Burlkraft

I was fine with my Peterson mill on my homeowners. I would assume that it was because it was stationary, to them anyway.

When I bought my Woodmizer they dropped me, like a bad prom date  >:(  >:(  >:(  The WM has wheels and they did not want to insure that.

If they knew anything at all, they would know that the band mill is about the safest mill out there.

My agent finally did find someone to cover my mills on my homeowners  ::)  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

leweee

Seen an ad in "Sawmill & Woodlot" for these folks.

Margeson & Associates
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Woodchuck53

Will have to check it out. Thanks.Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

CLL

Just recieved ad from Margeson,(Missouri) so I assume they are looking for business from small mills like me.(woodmizer 40HDG) Since my farm policy covers mine no need to look at this time.
Too much work-not enough pay.

woodmills1

you can buy a policy I think it is from inland marine, or if you have more than 10 acres check out a company called Farm Family.  I have them and my machine is covered at home and on the road, as well as on anothers site.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

New Brunswick

I called my agent the other day and asked if mine was covered through my home owners (which I assumed it was.....wrong.) He said any business operated from the home had to be separate, I am waiting to hear back from him on a quote for a new policy, I will let you know when I find out.

Kelvin

Its best to ask your homeowners policy b/c if you have a problem, say your friend comes over and wanted a board, but also came to your house to hang out, and he gets hurt, his insurance company will make your home owners pay, and they will have a problem b/c of overlap from business to homeowners private insurance.  THat is why they want seperate properties so they know whos liability is whos.  No insurance company wil part with money they can pin on someone else.  If you tell the truth you will get in trouble.  I'm for telling the truth up front and getting the right coverage.  my homeonwers dropped me like a hot potatoe here in michigan, each state has different rules.  Some states Farm Bureau will cover woodmizers, but not mine.  You can sometimes get an exclusion so that anything that happens with mill is something you pay for personally, like 5 million in lifetime rehab for someone who slips and falls.  (hey, it happens more often then we think!)  My sawmill needed a lliability policy, and a propety coverage.  Inland marine covers the property for theft and fire ( i still owe on mine so need coverage)  Liability is very hard to get, or easy, but super expensive as there is no small mill catagory.  I spent weeks on the phone begging to give away my money to someone, so plan ahead. It will take time to figure out.  I pay $2,500 on my business, tools, mill liablity and inland marine (includes barn)  I am insured as a furniture maker who mills his own lumber.  The only way i could find to make it work.  Otherwise its Penn. Lumbermans for big $$$$
Good luck,  do a search here for more info.  It comes up a lot!
Kelvin

Woodchuck53

Thanks Kevin. Insurance is a thorn until you need it. I gat t-boned last fall in an older truck. It had 165,000 on it (1989) and would drive it offshore and back. All the insurance would pay was worth. Of coures it did not even cover a good down payment on another. The cost to fix was higher. I bought it back put a flat bed on it and it still runs and works like it always did. With the mill I am trying to head it off at the pass. So for it sounds like I will etheir have to keep it a shady hobby or go up on some of the charges. I have a reputation of cutting anything anywhere and a lot of good people I help out so not sure how the extra cost will impact our operation. All info to that effect is greatly appreciated. Have a great on Chuck.

Handy Andy

I have Allstate, and bought an umbrella policy to cover liability on my place.  Also boosts liability on vehicles.  But it is only good on my property, far as milling goes. The cost wasn't bad, and covers hunters etc. My idea is to boost auto liability as well as cover property, lately see people sue over auto accidents for much more than the liability coverage.  A fellow a few miles away is making payments because his wife pulled out onto the road in front of someone. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

KjBarnwood

The insurance I have covers my demo of barns, sawing, and product coverage ( a joke) and it only costs me $3,000 for the first $15,000 of gross profit and then they get 15% of all income over that!! :'(

I can't find anything else!  If anyone knows please let me know.

Some guys use general contractor ins., but my agent said they may not honor that if I only do demo.

It's crazy because if I sell a bord for $1 they'll take $0.15, and if I sell it for $1,000,000 they gladly take $150,000 for the same board - even though the risk doesn't change, just my ability to sell.  This would even include wood that I buy from a farmer and then resell!  Let me tell you this makes it almost impossible to make a few bucks, the honest way.  But I'll still try. ;D

Keith

DR Buck

KjBarnwood

There have been a lot of posts about insurance here on the forum.   Coverage availability and cost besides being based on your business model are also dependent on you location.  many insurance companies are licensed for certain states and not others. 

You can check out "Hummel Insurance Agency" in Berlin OH.   They were are the Sawmill Show there a few years ago.  They offered reasonable coverage.  Unfortunately for me they don't provide coverage in VA.  :(     I finally ended up with really GOOD coverage at a reasonable rate from "Burns & Wilcox-Scottsdale" through a local agent here in VA.  I've got $2,000,000 liability and full coverage for my equipment for just over $100 per month.

Also look at some of the old threads on this subject.  There are other companies mentioned.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!