iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hamburgers - What makes a goood hamburger?

Started by woodbowl, April 25, 2008, 01:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I'm with Dave and WildDog, my hamburgers are to be well done and I also squish the grease out of them. It's kind of funny because I like my steaks so rare that they moo when turned. ;D

Dave Shepard

I think it is because you can taste more beef when they are cooked well done. No steak tartar for me. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Patty

I like my burgers fried in a HOT iron skillet, crusty on the outside and just a little bit pink on the inside. Tomatoes, lettuce and a tiny bit of onions and I am good to go.  8)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Engineer

If I have a restaurant burger, unless I trust the kitchen, I order well done and slightly 'crispy'.  At home, if the meat is from the store less than 12 hours (I don't grind my own) I'll make burgers medium rare to medium, all I put on 'em is a little garlic mayonnaise and a slice of fresh tomato, maybe some red onion if there's some in the house.  Salt and pepper too.  I like 'em best on a very soft roll or an english muffin.

Furby

What's with the 12 hour thing?
You have no clue how long that meat has been laying around the store. ;)

Engineer

True, but the local chain puts a made-on and sell-by date on the package.  They also claim (under penalty of a lawsuit, I guess) that they grind up to five times a day, in-store.  So if it's good aged meat and I buy it the day they grind it, I guess, I'm ok?  It's not anything except a personal preference.

Furby

I can respect that.
At least you know what they are claiming, many folks just buy.

Weekend_Sawyer

I am having my first cookout tonight, and of course it's raining here! Ah well I have cooked in the rain before.

I like to add hickory chunks to the grill. Latley I have been doing it for everything it adds a great flavor. Whenever we take down a nice hickory I cut a bunch of 2" rounds off and stack them in the shed and split chunks off as needed.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scgargoyle

Quote from: WildDog on May 03, 2008, 05:59:13 PM
I'm with you Dave, my Burgers are flattened and cooked real well, preferably on a BBQ plate and finnished on the Barby grill, I'm slowly turning my wife around, Nicky likes to cook them thick and with grated carrot for added moisture.

How do you remove the grated carrot before you eat them? :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Slabs

This is the Hotdog and Burger stand woodbowl was talking about in an earlier response.  Picture taken today.  The grill was hot and loaded and the smell was delicious.

The original owners were Maggie Davis and Merle Carter.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

woodbowl

Aeeeey, there it is, H&M hot dog! Thanks Slabs. That little building does an incredible buisness. And the name .... H&M hot dog, you wouldn't think that any buisness with a name like that could survive. It's not fancy and I wonder if maybe that is one of the reasons for their success. Burgers and hot dogs are the only things they cook, but most folks get a burger. There hot, every time. I believe the sign says est 194 .... something.

It's not busy now, but I believe I can safely say that there are well over 100 people in and out of there every day. So what makes a little bitty hole in the wall like this, defy the norm in dining?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

footer

May sound wierd, but try peanut butter on the burger.  Yummy 8)

Don_Papenburg

I like mine well done but juiciey too .  I prefer homemade whole wheat bread to a store bought bun . 
Lamburger  is good also .
  Has anyone made a HAMburger?  Ya know with real smokehouse ham.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

OneWithWood

I am partial to venison burgers.  Many ways to dress 'em, depending on my mood and liquid libation.  :)
One With Wood

iffy

Anybody ever tried adding osage orange chips or shavings to the grill? Gives a unique smoke flavor that I like better than hickory or mesquite.

OneWithWood

No, but I have added liquid that was filtered through maple charcoal to the chef.  Makes everything taste better  8)
One With Wood

iffy

Thank You Sponsors!