iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rot Resistance based on species/pole size?

Started by mushhuskies, April 24, 2008, 11:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mushhuskies

Hey y'all,

I have a bunch of pole sized material on my land that I want to use for fencing.  This isn't a long term fence, just protecting some poplars and aspens till they get beyond the reach of the deer/elk.  So, maybe 3-5 years.  My question is:  In a size class of say, 4-6 inches in diameter is there any reason to think that young cedar sapwood will outlast doug fir sapwood or will they both just rot at about the same speed??  I might slap some green anti rot gunky on them but it wont penetrate very far.  Probably answered my own question here if I just think about it!! :D

Great forum........pete

beenthere

Welcome to the forum..
Either species should last the 3-5 years...

but, where are you located??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

It depends on the species of cedar.  The term "cedar" refers to hundreds of different species in different genera, different families, and even different classes.  Since you mention doug-fir, I would assume you're probably referring to western redcedar (Thuja plicata).  In that case, I wouldn't expect there to be much difference between the durability of the sapwood of the two species.  However, our eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) has sapwood that is very durable, nearly as durable as the heartwood.

Hope this anwers your question, and welcome to the forum! :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

mushhuskies

Thanks for the responses.  I am talking about western red cedar and I live in Northern Idaho.  The soils range from granitic to heavy clay.  Always a joy to dig into! 

Thank You Sponsors!