iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bizzare Foods

Started by Norm, April 23, 2008, 05:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I've been watching the show and thought I'd see what folks here have eaten they consider a candidate for the topic. The most unusual dish I had was while I was in Hong Kong teaching a class. They brought in this dish that had baby octopus in it. They must have been no more than a couple of inches long and were served in a thickened stock over rice. I did try them and they weren't bad tasting but the look of putting them in your mouth was less than appetizing.  :D

zopi

Sea Urchin roe, salmon roe, turtle, rattlesnake, cobra (including le Venin) dog, rat, monkey, camel,
calf fries, pufferfish, OMGZBBQ! >gasp< UNPASTEURIZED fresh cheese (stupid bureaucrats)
octopus salad, durian fruit, spam, sweetbreads, tripe (Vietnamese pho soup! YUM!)
grubs, ants, termites, earthworms, Baluts.

all that is pretty bizarre to most folks, and I have eaten most of it at one time or another..now,
bizarre? Pretty much anything that comes out of the industrial complex as far as processed food..we're poisoning ourselves slowly in the name of the almighty dollar...high fructose corn syrup sucks.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Leslieann

I don't believe I've anything that.... umm...exotic.  :)  I've eaten some sushi, that's about it.  I don't know exactly what I've eaten and part of me prefers not to.  :D

LeeB

Zopi, how did you get past the smell on the durian fruit?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

limbrat

Not a dish as much as an ingredient. Blue cheese it taste good but it has gone moldy. Imagine the prospect of dining on a moldy anything with the exception of blue cheese.
ben

zopi

Durian fruit is the one
Quote from: LeeB on April 23, 2008, 06:50:42 PM
Zopi, how did you get past the smell on the durian fruit?

Durian in one of the few I have not had....good friend has though...you, umm, hold your nose and eat..he says the flavor and texture are not wholly unlike a good stilton or brie cheese..

The other notable I have not been able to try is cobra...I have got to get to Viet-Nam..or Thailand..

I love sea urchin roe (Uni) flat grossed the dive master out on a tour I took...first he freaked because i showed up with a half dozen urchins, then almost puked when I cracked 'em and ate the eggs..woulda been different if I were in greece at the time,
I think that may have been in La Palma..

I love grossing out the guys on the ship...someone will catch an albacore or a little tuna or something..hey..can i have some of that...slice...eat...<G>

It doesn't get any fresher.

Camel, for the record, sucks...

and, yes, Anthony Bordain is among my pantheon of gods...

I'd be willing to bet that the best meal I have ever had was at a
crappy little hole in the wall in Dubai...some street urchin tried to pick my buddy's
pocket and got caught...unfortunately a cop saw it...would have been unpleasant...my buddy saw the
cop coming and smacked the kid around a couple times and told him to go thataway as fast as he could..kid got the hint...well, apparently his uncle or cousin (never did figure it out) owned the place there on that corner...he pretty much insisted on feeding us by way of thanks...fresh shwarma, flatbreads,
mutton, cucumber dressing, and a vegetable plate so fresh it was scary...the pastries were akin to
Baklawa, but not quite..they were made of a finer dough, sort of like Croissant with nuts and honey.
he had some chiles so hot they ought to have skipped the scoville heat scale and gone to the richter scale.

Dubai is a neat place...and the streetmeat anywhere in the world will be interesting, if not altogether safe..i give you the NYC dirty water hotdog as proof...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

olyman

zopi----remind me to never go anywhere to eat with you----------that could be a extremely enlightening experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

zopi

Nahh..it's fun...if it looks good, and (sometimes) smells good, try it! Then ask what it is...

An ark shell is a strange (and not so vaguely naughty) looking morsel...but they sure are good.

Still hate raw tomatoes though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Paschale

Quote from: olyman on April 24, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
zopi----remind me to never go anywhere to eat with you----------that could be a extremely enlightening experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

zopi----remind me to never go anywhere to eat with you----------that could be a extremely enlightening experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

zopi, you're my kind of eater!  I'll eat nearly anything once...have had sweetbreads and tripe before, and gator, conch, eel, octopus and beef carpaccio, but haven't had the chance to eat many more bizarre things.  Had a chance to eat durian in Thailand, but I didn't have the guts.  I regret it now, but oh well...I'll eat it some day.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Tha's OK, Paschale.  In your old age, when you move south, and you will, youwill get the opportunity to eat many things considered by many as bizarre.   Tripe!  what a delicacy that can be.  If there are still some Southerners when you arrive, you will find that most bizarre meals are just common fare to most of us.  :D

stumpy

As far as I'm concerned, Asparagus, brussel sprouts and green beans are bizzare foods. Yuk >:(
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

beenthere

But sauerkraut is ok?     :D :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zopi

Quote from: Paschale on April 24, 2008, 04:39:13 PM
Quote from: olyman on April 24, 2008, 01:54:37 PM
zopi----remind me to never go anywhere to eat with you----------that could be a extremely enlightening experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8)

zopi, you're my kind of eater!  I'll eat nearly anything once...have had sweetbreads and tripe before, and gator, conch, eel, octopus and beef carpaccio, but haven't had the chance to eat many more bizarre things.  Had a chance to eat durian in Thailand, but I didn't have the guts.  I regret it now, but oh well...I'll eat it some day.

Oh yeah...I am definetly a food nut...havin' a cup of beef barley soup...wifey makes the best..everyone else's is beef barely soup..<G>

watchin' phood network too..Iron chef america is coming on...I miss the japanese show...those guys know how to EAT!

anybody ever had good Russian Borscht?

The american crappola doesn't cut it..think heavy beef stew with beets...a little sour cream and dill..maybe some fresh horseradish..and vodka!

hmm...horseradish..I need to get out back and dig some fresh..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

LeeB

I ain't seen nothing bizzare yet, cept mebbe the durian fruit. It stinks to bad for me to eat. Now peanuts in any way shape or form, that's bizzare.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

zopi

Quote from: Tom on April 24, 2008, 05:06:44 PM
Tha's OK, Paschale.  In your old age, when you move south, and you will, youwill get the opportunity to eat many things considered by many as bizarre.   Tripe!  what a delicacy that can be.  If there are still some Southerners when you arrive, you will find that most bizarre meals are just common fare to most of us.  :D

fried green 'maters...nuff said.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: stumpy on April 24, 2008, 07:00:41 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Asparagus, brussel sprouts and green beans are bizzare foods. Yuk >:(

I wish i could cook some of each for you...most folks don't cook veggies very well...good fresh
asparagus steamed until it is just soft, and tossed with cracked sea salt and compound butter..MMMM!

Green beans are invarialbly overcooked...they should be quickly boiled in water that has cooked a chunk of onion, and had a bit of bacon grease added...

Brussel sprouts...suck. if they are cooked even a little too long they are gnasty...I cook them quickly in
court boullion..or plain water and toss in a little EVO or butter.

Margarine is banned from my kitchen.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

i ate a balute, i was way less than impressed.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

zopi

Quote from: Dan_Shade on April 24, 2008, 09:46:41 PM
i ate a balute, i was way less than impressed.

yup. yuck.

hate pickled eggs too...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Paschale

Quote from: zopi on April 24, 2008, 09:12:45 PM

I wish i could cook some of each for you...most folks don't cook veggies very well...good fresh
asparagus steamed until it is just soft, and tossed with cracked sea salt and compound butter..MMMM!

My favorite way to eat asparagus is grilled.  Coated in some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with some salt and pepper, or oil and soy sauce...then get some nice char on them, just enough to soften them up a bit.  Then grate a bunch of fresh parmesan cheese all over top.  Nothing's better in the spring, if you ask me!  I could have a whole meal of just asparagus.   8)

Fla._Deadheader

>:( >:(  Ya DON'T cook asparagus. Just knock off the bugs and dirt and chow down.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

scgargoyle

I musta missed the part about knocking the bugs and dirt off. Ya gotta have protein and minerals, ya know. What about fiddleheads? I almost grabbed me a bunch of 'em in SC, but I figured the folks in the park might get mad....
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Patty

We have grown asparagus for years, and I still think the very best is picked from wild plants growing in the ditches. We have every asparagus planted location memorized along our walk to work, they taste the best picked and eaten on the spot. Yumm!

Frog legs come to mind on bizarre foods. Norm & his brother got a bunch one day hunting bullfrogs, brought them home and cooked them right up. I just could not bring myself to put one in my mouth.  :-X
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

LeeB

Tastes like chicken, Patty

semologger

Now I do likes frog legs. I am like most ill try anything. I love fried oysters but dont like them raw.

Fla._Deadheader

UUmmmmmmmmmmmm  Oysters on the ½ shell, with a touch of Lusiana Hot Sauce.
Slurp, slurp. Gusta Mucho.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

I am truly shocked no one has mentioned Grits yet...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paschale

Quote from: crtreedude on April 25, 2008, 08:17:04 PM

Well, the subject was bizarre foods.  In order to be discussed in the thread, wouldn't it have to be edible? 

;D

crtreedude

Quote from: Paschale on April 25, 2008, 09:26:56 PM

Well, the subject was bizarre foods.  In order to be discussed in the thread, wouldn't it have to be edible? 

;D

Ah, you are correct sir, I stand corrected...
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Bro. Noble

Two foods that I really liked were my grandma's cottage cheese and my Aunt Veta's sour pickles.  I liked them best when Mom smelled them and said "I think we'd better throw these out"  ;D

I like food you can taste ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

WDH

Quote from: Paschale on April 25, 2008, 09:26:56 PM

;D

Such a low blow, way below the belt :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Quote from: Patty on April 25, 2008, 05:02:40 PM

Frog legs come to mind on bizarre foods. Norm & his brother got a bunch one day hunting bullfrogs, brought them home and cooked them right up. I just could not bring myself to put one in my mouth.  :-X
To a hillbilly, frog legs are not considered bizzare at all.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

limbrat

They can seem bizzare if you dont pull the nerve when cleaning them then put them straight in the grease and they start hopping. But still all the food so far has been fresh aint none of it shot full of mold. The ideal of eating something moldy like blue cheese just dont sit good with me.
ben

zopi

Quote from: scgargoyle on April 25, 2008, 03:31:10 PM
I musta missed the part about knocking the bugs and dirt off. Ya gotta have protein and minerals, ya know. What about fiddleheads? I almost grabbed me a bunch of 'em in SC, but I figured the folks in the park might get mad....

Fiddleheads R good...sautee them in butter with a little lemon verbena..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 25, 2008, 07:07:05 PM

UUmmmmmmmmmmmm  Oysters on the ½ shell, with a touch of Lusiana Hot Sauce.
Slurp, slurp. Gusta Mucho.  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

nope..Crystal hot sauce is the bomb on seafood...Louisiana, and Tabasco are foreggs and chicken...

Tejas Pedro is for Gizzards and Wings..

And Dave's insanity sauce is for bringing down that sucker that claims it can't be too hot...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

y'know, as southern as i am..I hate grits..and iced tea..

Hominy on the other hand...Take a pork butt and sear it in the grill, then drop it in the pressure cooker with a couple chopped onions, and cook as for making stew...whilst that is cooking,  take a little butter and start it in the skillet...melt and boil the water out, then add roughly a tablespoon of either all purpose flour or bread flour ( I prefer bread flour.more gluten, makes a better texture stew) cook this over low heat stirring constantly with a whisk..until it is a light dirty blond color, set the roux aside to cool while the
stew finishes in the cooker..once that is done, let the cooker pressure down, set it in the sink and run a little cool water over the top, it will pressure down a bit quicker..pick the meat out and strain the garbage out of the broth and run the broth back into the pot, you might need to add a little water to it, but you can do that after thickening...bring the stock back to a slow boil, and add the roux a little at a time, thicken as much as you want, but again, think beef stew...now start adding chile powder, to taste, but it's best with just a little heat, so as to avoid masking the pork flavor...season further with garlic, cumin and maybe a little cayenne...pick the meat apart and remove the fat, as for pulled bbq and add back to the stew,
let this cook at a light simmer, and add a couple cans of  rinsed  white hominy, and maybe a little tin of green chile. add water as needed to maintain the consistency, and you may have to add a bit more chile powder as the flavors meld...the dish is called posole, traditional mexican stew...yer s'posed to use dried white corn, but it has to soak for three days, then you have to scrub the bloody husks off....umm...nahh.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WildDog

Bush oysters    =   crumbed and fried calf testicles. ;D
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Modat22

Did you know that grits are a great rust remover whe used in a walnut shell blaster.
remember man that thy are dust.

Dave Shepard

Talked to one of the drivers at my last job yesterday. He spent the winter in the Philipines. He said it was like living in the Bizarre food show all winter. He said the further from the city you got, the poorer things were and the more varied your lunch selections became.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!