iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need help with old computer, SSL error on security issues.

Started by SPIKER, April 22, 2008, 10:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPIKER

hi all:

I got some problems, with my OLD machine here. I can't log onto anything where SSL is used, security settings are some how messed up.

what happened is I had a problem with windows 98 se and my 3com network card, it got all funky some how? anyhow then the network crashed, as it turned out that there was a cold solder joint in the network modem/switch's power supply., I fixed that but the NIC card would not work, and after tons of messing around windows 98se died and needed to be re-installed.

I did that and there was an old restore point that it (98 disk install) used for settings ect.

I got back on-line and all seemed well until I try & log onto secure sites that require SSL... (pay bills, e-mail yahoo ebay ect)

I normally use Fire Fox, (using IE now as Fire Fox after re-installing it to try & fix error won't work with out crashing?)

IE just goes to Security error page and will not go anywhere after that.

FF shows an error when starting that says

"" could not initialize the browsers security component. and most likely cause is problems with files in you're browser's profile directory. please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and you're HD is not full or close to full (it is fine) it says to exit browser and fix the problem and that if you keep using the browser you will see incorrect browser behavior when accessing security features""

anyhow I've checked all the internet options for SSL all are ON and tried the default settings to no avail, I can't figure out what FF means by fixing the " browsers Profile directory >:(" I tried setting up a NEW user accounts on the PC but that maid FF crash completely...

any hints what to do next? :'( :-[

please don't say buy a new one, too much for me when I have to buy gas and fix broken stuff that i HAVE to have ..

mark M

Jeff

You should try to repair the browser. Go to control panel/add remove programs/internet exploror. When you choose to uninstall internet explorer you should be presented with the option to repair it. Choose that.

From google:

For Firefox If you received the message "Could not initialize the browser's security component." The most likely cause is problems with files in your browser's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the browser and fix the problem. If you continue to use this browser session, you might see incorrect browser behavior when accessing security features....

* Check your hard drive's remaining capacity and the file permissions on the files in your profile folder.
    * Delete the cert8.db file in your profile folder and try again.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SPIKER

Jeff

finely sounds like someone knows how to help :)   

I have not tried either of those two things as of yet..   I have to call it an early day tomorrow so I'll work on it then and get back here to post how it worked 8) :P

thank you
Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SPIKER

hi gents:

sorry I haven't been on this dang thing in a while, I'm still having same problem, says SSL is disabled, but in all profiles it is enabled HD is plenty of space. so that can't be it.   I dumped the CERT8 files in fire fox and same for ie

also I found a NEW problem when here at THIS site, (FF site)  every time I change a page and or try to view a new post it pops up a window and says I can't connect securely to paypal ???  only does that here @ FF site so codeing must be in FF site.  WHY do we have that here???

Mark M

EDIT IN:

HELP
I gave up and deleted windows, and was re-installing 98SE from disk. but the dam KEY is no where to be found!  I need a 98se key so I can finish my re-install...  anyone got one handy quick so I can finish I'll check back soon
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!