iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

water on blade when sawing

Started by Polly, April 22, 2008, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

8) 8)  is it necessary to use coolant or water on woodmizer blade when sawing all kinds of lumber or just logs with a lot of sap such as cedar or pine someone please straighten me outi know this is probly a stupid question but as you all know by now i ant to smart  :) :) :) 8) 8)

Tom

Well, I'm not too smart either, so I'll answer you.    I'll type as slowly as I can.  :D  Yes, a lube of some sort works on all applications.  That doesn't mean that you have to use one.  Some people don't and swear that they get just as good a result.

My experiences have shown me to keep the blade damp.  It helps to keep it from "gumming up".  It makes it easier on the blade (you can tell by the sound).  My cuts are generally truer too.

I use water of some quantity on all my jobs.  Live Oak takes a bunch.  Resin(y) pine takes a lot, especially on dry wood.  I was cutting bug killed long leaf last week that had been dead for several months (like a year) and I was creeping to keep the blade from wandering.  I  had run out of water.  I still had to creep, even with water, but singing and whining of the blade went away and the whoop-t-doos stopped.

Green pine requires very little, usually.  My water oak gets some but doesn't seem to need much.

I don't think you need to always put soap or something in the water, but a little water is good all of the time.

Polly

8) thanks tom for your help i thought it might but i was hoping i was wrong anyway thank you :)

Tom

Why are you wanting to cut dry?

bandmiller2

Polly,this is one place where everyones mileage varies.Only thing I can say is try it boath ways and with different lubes,what works best for you is the true path.The woody LT-70 I work on we don't use any lube works just fine with EWpineand red&white oak,and no mess on the floor.My own mill I use A wick arrangement to apply diesel/oil mix to boath sides of the band,never a drip just a slight sheen on the band.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woodmills1

I use 50/50 diesel and bar oil only when needed, works fine for me.  A detergeny squeeze bottle takes a second to apply.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Polly

??? 8)  my water bottle mounts up so high i need a latter to get to it and i keep getting the plastic tube that runs to the blade tangled up i probly havent got the coolant line routed correctly i been thinking about rerouting it but am not exactly sure how any suggestions :) :)

Warren

Polly,

I do not use water for cedar.  I do use water for most other woods.  Regarding the coolant line, I got a spring from Ace hardware, about 0.5" diameter, 3" long, fine wire, very stretchy like a slinky.  Slipped the loop on one end over the lube tube.  Slipped the other end over the pin on the debarker lock.  just enough tension to keep the tube up out of the rollers for the blade guide arm.

Lot of words for a simple fix.  IF I get a chance I wil post apic.

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

woodmills1

I got sick and tired of the water, either too much or not enough, then freezing ina winter if I forgot to blow out the line.  And then just plain filling the jugs.  Went to the mix and not going back.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!