iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut- What's it worth?

Started by logcatcher, April 21, 2008, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logcatcher

I'm new to the forum and interested in buying a mill sometime in the next year or so.  I've talked with a lot of people about different options and watched some mills in action and spent a little time in the "operator's seat".  I was talking with a landscaper friend of mine earlier today and he told me he is working on a job where they have arranged to take down a Black Walnut tree.  It's about 22" in diameter and straight, no branches until about 24 feet up.  I asked him if I could bring a portable mill and cut it up and he said "no problem, I'll have you talk with the owner".  I talked with the owner and she wanted to know how much I would pay her for the lumber.  Using a doyle scale, I think the tree has about 350 to 400 board feet of usable wood.  This is a pretty loose guess because basically, I'm shootin' from the hip here but based on what I've read, I think that's in the ballpark.  My questions are:  #1 What would be reasonable to offer her for the logs?  They would be laying in her front yard, accessable and cut to length (two 10' logs and maybe 10 or 15 branches averaging 8" x 6'.  #2  What is black walnut worth, dried?  #3  What dimensions should I cut it into?  I was thinking 1 1/8" x 12" x 10' plus whatever I could get out of the branches.  Any advice would be appreciated!!  Thanks!

Tom

Yard trees don't generally bring much regardless of species.  There is too much threat of tramp metal.  I wonder if she was comparing her other offers when she asked how much you would pay.  :D

The chances are that she will have to pay for removal if you don't take the tree.

Still, fair is fair and someone on here will offer a suggestion.  Just remember to consider your time, blade expense and clean-up when you make the offer.

And, Welcome to the forum.

IL Bull

Be carefull offering money for a  log still on the stump.  You don't know what is inside.  This thing probably has 2" of sap wood around the out side and the good boards come of the outside.  I would offer to split the milled lumber with the owner or try to get her to give it to you for hauling it away.  That's not going to happen because she knows that you want it.  
Good luck,
Joe

Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Ironwood

WElcome a"board"
:D
I cannot recall all the postes on this subject (there are many, many in the archives) Welcome and tool around the "search" feature, and scroll down to all the back pages on any sub forum, there is A TON of information there. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

metalspinner

I knock on doors all the time to inquire about logs down in the yard.  If the owner sees $$$, I thank them for taking the time to listen to me, hand them my "Free Log Removal" card, and walk away.  Some times I will barter an equal amount of dry firewood if they will be busting the log up.
Another thing is if you do recieve the log, get it out of there quick.  If you cut it on site and they see good lumber start coming out of the log, you may find yourself renegotiating the original verbal contract. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

LAZERDAN

I just bought a load friday.    Beautiful  stuff.   Forestry quality .30 BF.     Urban logs .15 to .20 BF     Branch wood worthless.   Min 12 to 13 in.  on the small End.   Did alot of research last week. never thought i'd be paying for logs.  But I looked @ what I had and it was crap compared to this stuff.   Google JOHNSON LUMBER CO.  black walnut.   Good info

LAZERDAN

Get end sealer on asap.  Remember unless you have a use for 10 ft. lumber, why cut it so long.  Most wood workers would rather use managable pieces in thier shops. 6' to 8' unless your in it for production.

thecfarm

logcatcher,welcome to the forum.Update your profile so we know where you are from.You mentioned walnut,seems like that is a million dollar baby in some areas.No matter what or how the log looks it has to be worth alot to them You have to realize that thier friends, and relatives have been looking at it and telling them how much that tree is worth because they know someone that had one cut and got a million dollars for it.All the "wood" expects will come for miles with a story and all the free advice with it. I've read many posts on here about yard trees and just the thing you are just about to do.Go into this real careful.There are a few guys on here that do cut yard trees,but there is a lot to it.Hard to deal with someone that don't want the lawn all dug up from removing the tree.Have limbs to to get rid of.If you buy the tree for $100 and you make $100 on it,they feel they been riped off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logcatcher

Hey everyone, I really appreciate the replies to my first post!

logcatcher

I sent that last reply early by mistake so I'm givin' it another try!  I wanted to say thanks to everyone that replied with advice to my last post.  It was useful to confirm some of the thoughts that I had knockin' around in my head.  The comment about being careful about "yard trees" never occured to me, so thanks for that and Lazerdan, thanks for the advice about value and for lending some perspective about black walnut in general.  I don't see much black walnut where I've spent most of my time, mostly in Northern Wisconsin in the Minocqua and Manitowish Waters area.  I get a lot of hard maple, red and white oak, red and white pine, some ironwood, birch and ash.  I think I'm going to saw this tree up and use it as a learning experience.  Hopefully I won't run into too much metal or cause too much trouble for the property owner.  One thing I've always been careful about is cleaning things up and generally leaving things in better shape than they were when I started.  When I learn to navigate this site a little better I'll try to post some pics of what I find once I cut this baby open!!  Thanks again everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!