iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I like my FEL!

Started by brdmkr, April 20, 2008, 08:08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

Since my mill is set up off site, I took the opportunity to clean up where I normally cut.  So I spent some extended time on the new tractor.  I cleaned up slabs from several days of cutting, moved the sawdust, and bunked up some more logs for when the mill returns.  All of this took less than 2 hours.  It won't take long for me to wonder how I ever made it without the FEL. 

I can see that a ballast is in order as I just don't think I'll ever feel comfortable riding on 2 wheels.  Anyone built their own ballast?
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Dave Shepard

Do you want a 3 point hitch ballast? I have seen a few ways to do it. One is to put a cheap three point drawbar through a barrel and pour it full of concrete. What size are your rear tires? I have 17.5x24R4's on my Kubota. 55 gallons each at 11 pounds per gallon.

Congrats on the new tractor! At work I have available a 644 Lull and a Samsung 150 payloader with 3 yard bucket and quick attach forks. You just drive into the log pile until about 8 logs pile up and scoot them over to the mill. :D I would have a hard time sawing without material handling.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

I went lookin for pics....we like pics.. ;D ;D

My ballast box is carried by the 3pt quick hitch, and I find that very handy to make quick changes....otherwise, I think I would skip having the ballast box on most of the time. Now it is very easy to drop off and pick back up. 

I have the pallet forks so they also can be picked up with the quick hitch, or quick tach to the loader in place of the bucket. Couldn't get along without the forks... :)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Radar67

Lots of people use a bush hog or other implement as ballast.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

brdmkr

Dave,

I have thought about filling the tires, and that might provide enough weight by itself.  The only hold-up I have with that is not being able to drop the weight if I ever had to tow the tractor.  Still, it may not be too heavy (especially since I will seldom ever trailer the tractor).

A 3 pt hitch ballast would be great.  I have seen the drum filled with concrete.  That may be the best thing fro me to do.

Beenthere, did you make your ballast box?  Any idea what it weighs.

Radar, The bushhog would work, but that really extends the length.  I am still too new at all of this to watch where I am going and what is behind me with a log on the forks.  still, having a heavy bushhog that far back would likely stabilize things.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

LeeB

I used to use a box blade with a couple of big rocks loaded on it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

Will you have the need to grade a driveway or spread some topsoil? A boxblade makes a great counterweight without sticking out too far, and it probably won't cost much more than getting your tires loaded. I have a 6' for my Kubota, and two 150 pound Antique John Deere wheel weights mounted on it. Makes the JD guys envious. :D You can hang all kinds of stuff off of it to get the ballast you need, and it won't rot your tires. A barrel will most likely be cheapest, but you'll have to do a little welding.

Dave

LeeB beat me to it! :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Watered tires are great if you are in an area where they won't freeze.   I water all Four.    To carry weights on the three point hitch, I load a bucket full of dirt or just stuff.  The weight box for the back is a great idea when using forks.

You wouldn't believe the increased traction from carrying weight, nor the smoother ride from watered tires.

Dave Shepard

My Kubota is very bouncy Tom, even with the calcium and box blade, it takes the 2000 lb backhoe to smooth things out nicely. ;) Always happiest with the hoe on, and it's like a small bulldozer too.

Dave

thecfarm

I use calium flakes in my rear tires to rust out the rims.   :)  The calium is the cheapest weight there is. I will need one fixed next week.Another $150 gone.I just find this way easier.I keep the winch on most of the time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Don K

I have loaded tires and a lightweight bushhog but still find myself on two or three tires.

I am soon to purchase a six foot heavy box blade and two pieces or railroad iron to that so I will have more weight and less length plus the option to be able to push somthing backwards if needed.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

I have a question about loading the tires. I understand it helps to increase the traction, but wouldn't the added weight also increase the chance of getting stuck? And how does the extra weight affect the tractor when working on hills and side slopes?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

srt

Calcium is one way to get some weight on her rear end.  However, the cost of a couple hundred may only be about half the actual cost over time.  First off, you may likely have to replace the water valves in the tubes about every year or so as the calcium will corrode them.  Secondly, if there is a leak (however slight) the calcium will rot a rim.   They're costly to replace.

If'in I was in need of some more mass in the rear, I'd buy a box blade or fill a barrell w/ concrete. 

This "calcium will rot your rims out" thing doesn't always happen, but if it happens to you once, you probably won't be such a big fan of the stuff.  I know I'm no longer a big fan, and i have a new rim to prove it.

rbarshaw

As far as the watered tires freezing, just add a gallon or so of antifreeze to the tires, helps to keep from freezing and also preserves the rubber and metal. It has worked for me since 1980 in two different tractors.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

Don K

Terry, In most cases added weight does increase traction. Example, When I was younger and sold firewood my truck would spin like heck in some of the bad holes I had to cross and when I came out loaded to the gills would hardly ever spin a tire. In some situations it might hurt such as hollow ground or bottomless pits. ;D

In my opinion the more weight down low on slopes helps to offset the high weight. Center of gravity and such. I always run my loader as close to the ground as possible when running on a side slope. Same thing on big logs, tucks the weight in closer to the tractor.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Larry

I have filled tires, 240 pounds of wheel weights, and another couple hundred pounds of axle weights.  This time of year the brush hog is on 90% of the time.  I can still get a little light in the rear going down hill with a big log on front...nothing like trying to stop on dew covered grass in the morning. ::)  Keeping it in 4wd does take some of the fun out of stopping. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

HOGFARMER

Calcium is added not only to stop freezing but to make the solution heavier for more traction.  However, it is very corrosive an has done a lot of rims in.  A newer product is called Rimsafe it will not freeze and is heavy also it is non-corrosive and tires can even be ran tubeless when using it.  It costs more that calcium but is worth it.
Manual LT-30

beenthere

Quote from: brdmkr on April 20, 2008, 09:45:49 PM
Dave,

............Beenthere, did you make your ballast box?  Any idea what it weighs.

No, and No....
Bought it from Deere, and loaded it with washed gravel. Will fill with concrete the next pour I make. I have the tires loaded with Windshield washer fluid, and still can get the rear end light with a green pallet of oak firewood on the forks. But all in all, it works well for me when I am careful.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 20, 2008, 09:51:34 PM
.......... Makes the JD guys envious. :D ...........

John Deere guys don't get envious of no Kubota's.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Dave Shepard

They are envious of my wheel weights. ;)

Dave

beenthere

Quote from: HOGFARMER on April 20, 2008, 10:40:12 PM
...............  A newer product is called Rimsafe it will not freeze and is heavy also it is non-corrosive and tires can even be ran tubeless when using it.  It costs more that calcium but is worth it.

Is that the same as Rim Guard ?

http://www.rimguard.biz/Testimonials.html
south central Wisconsin

hansbaba

Just bought a Kubota M8540 a couple of months ago. Dont know why I even milled before getting it. I dont have to worry about deep freezes so I just added water to the rear tires. That adds about 1500lbs. Then I carry an old broken rotovator that weighs about 800lbs. I put the  7- 100lb weights for the front that came with the tractor all over the rotovator with a chain and a binder. That gives me about 3000lbs extra on the rear end plus the weight of the tractor. Unless I am really pushing it I am able to keep the rear tires on the ground. I dont know How I am gonna pay for all this yet but  as long as I dont drop a log on myself with the forks. The broken back this tractor will prevent is priceless.

Don K

I've seen pics of the 8540. That's one good looking tractor. I bet it would pick up a house if you could keep the rearend on the ground. :D Naw... maybe not, but I envy the lifting power of the stronger tractors. I can do around a ton or little less, always finding something where you need a little more lift. ::)

Don

LeeB

Can you load a tubed tire?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stonebroke

You can't get to much weight until you start popping the tires, then you get bigger tires.Also calcium will rot the rims it might take twenty years but it will happen.

Stonebroke

Thank You Sponsors!