iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Started by ENTS, April 18, 2008, 09:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ENTS

I know it's here somewhere, just don't know how to search for it.  How do you resize a photo so it can be used for an avatar?  If there's a thread that addresses this, just steer me to it.

Thanks,
Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Tom

Pretty much the same as you resize any picture on the forum.  Once in the Gallery, you will find that the thumbnail of your picture is about the right size for an avatar.

The instructions for optimizing can be found at the top of this topic and can be reached by going to the Help button at the top of the page, if you can't find it.  :)

ENTS

I'm obviously doing something wrong.  I've resized a photo (within the parameters specified), and deposited the resized photo in my gallery.  I go to my profile and try to add personalized photo, I give it the location on my computer (resized version) and I get "The avatar you have selected is too large, or not an avatar" error.  I can post the photo (from my gallery) but can't get it as an avatar.

(It's not that good of a photo, just using it to experiment with)

I give, what  am I doing wrong?

Jeff

Within your profile settings, you just needed to click on " I have my own pic" then enter the url for the photo, then save.  In this case the url was: https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/17236/thumb_MRS_RB_RVR.JPG  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ENTS

O.K.  I'm a complete boob, no BOOB.  Jeff, you were able to populate the photo as my avatar.  Thanks.  I kept playing with this and succeeded in blowing it away. 

Here's where I'm messing around at:    Under Profile, Modify Profile, Forum Profile Info. In the first box it has:  Personalized Picture ( and a bunch of choices) , or, I will upload my own picture.  No where do I see "I have my own pic"  O.K.  So I upload another picture (bear3.jpg) and right click on it (once in my gallery)  and copy image location.  I go back to the I will upload my own pciture  and I should be able to paste what I just saved into this location.  Can't.  So I type the whole url in and select change profile.  Nothing, just blew away original avatar. 

I can insert the photo in a post but not in the avatar location.

Sorry to be such a bother but I'm stumped.

Thanks,

ENTS

I can use one of the pictures available, I stuck the N.C. flag in there.  Hmmm, Just don't know.

Dave Shepard

I believe the bear picture is too wide at 139 pixels. I think 120 is the limit. That may be the problem. ??? Do you have a program to resize pictures? I upload my new avatars right from my computer. Click on the "browse" button and find the file you want for your avatar, assuming it is the right size.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ENTS

Thanks Dave,

So I resize a different bear pic

The above picture is well within the bounds of other avatars (W 67px, H 79px).  I write the url into the I will upload my own picture and wala, it blows away the n.c. flag and leaves the area blank. 

I give,

Dave Shepard

If you click on "I will upload my own picture", you must browse the files on your computer for the file you want. To upload from an url, select "I have my own picture". See if that works.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ENTS

For the life of me, I don't find the "I have my own picture".  Where exactly is it?  If it's another option besides Personalized Pic or I will upload my own pic under Forum Profile Info, then my profile doesn't show it.

Dave Shepard

You don't have an option that says this:

I have my own pic:
Specify your own avatar by URL.
(ex: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif)

It should be between "Personlized Picture" and "I will upload my own picture"

If you don't, an admin will have to look into that for you.

Dave

ENTS

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 20, 2008, 02:43:01 PM
You don't have an option that says this:

I have my own pic:
Specify your own avatar by URL.
(ex: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif)

Nope!

Dave Shepard

Try uploading the picture from you computer, that should work.

Dave

ENTS

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 20, 2008, 02:50:20 PM
Try uploading the picture from you computer, that should work.

Dave

Hope!   Saz it's too big or not an avatar. 

Dave Shepard

What is the size of the file, maximum width or height? It may also be too big a file in regards to kilobytes. I'll see if I can dig up the proper dimensions for an avatar.

Dave

ENTS

Dave,

I appreciate the effort but earlier, Jeff, populated my avatar with a picture I had in my gallery. So I believe the sizing is o.k.  I believe the problem is with my profile options not being complete (missing  I have my own picture button). 

Clouds are breaking up outside and I need to get some splitting done today.  Rather do it while the weather is decent instead of when it's 95 out.

I'll be back later,

thanks,

Tom

On your profile, I clicked on "your profile information" on the left side of the profile page and then I clicked the little circle that says "I have my own picture"

Then I went to your gallery and  right clicked on the thumbnail of the bear hanging on the line. The reason I used the Thumbnail, is because the software has already downsized it from what you might have in your gallery and the thumbnails will usually make a pretty good avatar.

Then I clicked on properties and the window opens that has the URL of the thumbnail in it.   I highlighted the URL and did a "cntrlC" which put it on my clipboard.

Now I'm finished with your gallery.

I went back to the profile (I was working in two open windows and the little circle remained clicked on "I have my own picture".

I highlighted the data that was in the window where I wanted to enter the URL and deleted it.  You are only allowed one HTTP: and I knew that the URL I wanted to use had one too.

I placed my cursor in the little window and did a "cntrlV" which pasted the URL of the thumbnail into the little window.

The last step was to go to the bottom of the page and find the button/little square that reads "Change Profile".    I clicked on that and, Voila!!, the avatar appeared.

Try it and let me know if it works and if you understand. :)

ENTS

Tom,

This is the first time that I have seen the "I have my own picture" option.  It has NEVER been there before.  I don't know who did what or what ever, but it makes a lot more sense now.

Dave,

It's there now.  As long it stays there I'm sure I can manipulate it.

Thanks to all and to who (or is that whom) ever fixed it.

Later,

ENTS

O.K.  Hunky Dory,  all is well.  Works fine.

Thanks,

beenthere

ENTS
Glad you didn't give up ....   8) 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: ENTS on April 20, 2008, 07:58:53 PM
Tom,

This is the first time that I have seen the "I have my own picture" option.  It has NEVER been there before.  I don't know who did what or what ever, but it makes a lot more sense now.

Dave,

It's there now.  As long it stays there I'm sure I can manipulate it.

Thanks to all and to who (or is that whom) ever fixed it.

Later,

I can guarantee you that nothing was changed and if it wasn't there, your browser was at fault. I'd love to take credit for fixing something, but there was nothing to fix. :)

ENTS

Shoot, take credit for it.  I wouldn't know the difference.  ;)  The only thing that was different was this time when I went to my profile, I didn't come up in another window (don't ask me why it did, I know enough to be dangerous and that's all).  I even shut down my AV and pop up blocker (didn't help). 

Alls well that ends well.  Let's see if I can get a decent picture to put in there.  My camera is about 10 yrs. old so it doesn't do as well as the newer ones.  But, I'll keep trying.

Later,

Jeff

Profiles should never come up in another window.