iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

FACE CORD FIREWOOD

Started by beav39, April 18, 2008, 07:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

This whole face cord thing has been beat to death not only here but everywhere else on the internet that has anything to do with firewood  :P ;)  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

Does that mean that you don't want to talk about it ? :D

Corley5

Yup  :) ;D  I've already talked about it  ;D ;D

Tom

Furby

I'm goiny to NY and selling face cords for half the price of the other guys. ;D 8)
Not my fault when I drop a load of 2" long stuff in someone's yard, they ordered a face cord. :)

LeeB

The feller I buy wood from sells by the "rick", which to me is 1/3 cord. I never measure what he brings me. The wife likes it 12-14" and that's what he burns himself, so when he cuts for his own use, he does some for us too. I'm happy with the load and price, so he could call it a donkey load if he wanted to. If I didn't like it he'd be carrying his donkey load right back out with him.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

I don't think it is "beat to death" as long as we have a thread starting out with a member wanting to know the difference.

;D ;D ;D

Just call it what it is....I think, :)

When I go to the gas pump, I expect a gallon of gas to be metered out.   Might not be too happy if I found out the volume of a gallon had changed to something less than that, without being told up front.
Like Tom said, there are basic reasons for the standards being set....as someone tried to deliver less maybe? 

All is well as long as the buyer is happy with the units.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dan_Shade

there are a lot of scam artists in the firewood business.  I support the full cord or part thereof.

unfortunately, if one is slick, then he can still scam the consumer by simply "mis education"

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

CLL

here in Mo. people use face cords to rip other people off, when they get caught they always say they said face cord not cord. DA in our area has caught several pulling that scam.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Tom on April 19, 2008, 01:09:32 PM
I think some of you are missing the point.  Standardization of marketed sizes is the only fair way to compete or shop.  That is why we have a bureau of Standards.   We don't have to mess around with trying to figure out Yellow pounds and blue pounds or light dollars or heavy dollars, or round gallons and square gallons, etc.  When you market a size of anything that contains an unknown quantity, you are opening yourself up to lawsuits and scams.  While face cords might be understood locally,  the quantity will change from locale to locale.  Face cord is like looking at a two dimensional picture.  It has width and height, but the depth is unknown.  A cord is defined in 3 dimensions and still the quantity may be questioned because of the tightness of the stack and  split or nonsplit wood.  Still, it makes sense to use one configuration that gives representation of the quantitys in all  localities.

This is how the metric system got started. I think the French had to many square gallon scam artists. :D

Dave

I like the metric system, by the way. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

Good recovery Dave  :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dave Shepard

I'm predicting a metric comment from Tom at any minute. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Giving the New York guys credit, their State Dept. of Ag. allows the marketing of face cords, but all three measurements must be given.

In looking, I found this company that advertises by face cords. Even a cord is defined by two face cords.  You will notice that the sticks are 18 to 24 inches long *on an average.  I don't see how the buyer can tell what he is getting.

http://www.nycfirewood.com/wood-quantities.shtml

mike_van

I like Toms dollar comment -  :D I'd like to pay in 'light' dollars, and be paid in 'heavy' ones!  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dana

We have a firewood dealer near us who has the nickname Short Cord. He got that name by being short on each load of firewood delivered. When called on it he tells the customer that it depends how you stack it. ::) He somehow still has a customer base.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Corley5

Quote from: beenthere on April 19, 2008, 11:05:35 PM
I don't think it is "beat to death" as long as we have a thread starting out with a member wanting to know the difference.

;D ;D ;D

Many times someone has asked a question about a topic already covered and it's been suggested they do a search of the Forum to find the answer  ::)  :) ;) ;D  Do a search for face cord  ;D :D 8) :)  There're lots of answers here  8) 8)

woody1

2x4x8 = 1 1/2x 3 1/2x 96, sometimes 92 5/8. 3/4 plywood= 23/32. What the heck.
May be a cord can be adjusted for bark, splinters and dead space.  ::) ::) :D :D
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Riles

Does the state of Illinois mandate a specific scale for loggers and mills? (Let's be consistent with our logic here). Or is it not an issue since there are no "consumers" to protect?
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

leweee

Quote from: mike_van on April 20, 2008, 05:29:26 AM
I like Toms dollar comment -  :D I'd like to pay in 'light' dollars, and be paid in 'heavy' ones!  :D

Mike......that's paper currency & coins.  :D :D :D

Species has a lot to do with  how happy the customer will be with their legal CORD of firewood. ;D

A CORD of Bass wood or a CORD of Hickory.. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

mike_van

There you go again lewee - Light cords & Heavy cords!  :D - I'll take the heavy one please -  8)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

johncinquo

I saw a sign at the pizza shop last week that cracked me up. 

Firewood for sale. 

Face cord $30
3 face cords $90
Full cord $120

Oh ya know I called, just for fun.  Yep, 16" long.  I had fun for a couple minutes trying to get him to sell me a full cord at face cord prices.   :D 8)  I think he was even more cornfused by the time I hung up.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beav39

this thread drew alot more attention then i thought it would seems there are many different thoughts on this subject!   thank you for the input       scot
sawdust in the blood

Dave Shepard

That's cheap firewood, unless it's one of those 4'x4' face cords. ::) :D

Dave

WILDSAWMILL

i had a guy call me wanting to buy 5 cords  or more said he wood pick up at my place with semi he spent a lot of time explaning this measureing thing,
he claimed the split wood has to all be stacked split side up so not have to much air space, allso he claimed the legal measure meant 4' high one row wide 32' long or 2 rows wide 4' high 16' long . i told him hes crazy his reply was dot was holding the proffesional sellers to this standard.
i told him he was not welcome on my farm
Kascosaw2B

Thank You Sponsors!