iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My worst log EVER today!!!!

Started by 379hammerdown, April 18, 2008, 02:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

379hammerdown

Its such a shame... this was a great 16' butt log 13" on the top too!

Okay, I picked the log up with the mill log loaders and when it was about a foot off the ground I cut the very bottom off (Where the wedge was cut while cutting it down) so it was flush and just a few inches over 16'. Here's where the nightmare began!

Once the chunk fell off to the ground... sap started POURING out of about an 5 inch crack in there... I've never seen anything like that before so I took a couple video clips with my cell phone :) but literally within 2 minutes there was about a half cup puddle on the ground.

Right then my neighbor comes over wanting to buy some lumber and I hollered at him to come check this out! We checked it out some more just watching it pour out... he decides he's gonna stick his finger in it  :D and you know how that turned out!

I thought that it probably wasn't too big of a deal so I decided to go ahead and load it up & start cutting 2x6's out of it. It all went well... squared it up, cut it into two cants and began cutting boards. After I was all done cutting I was left with a nice couple stacks of 2x6 boards... and we started stacking them.

Okay... I'm taking too long to get this out... but long story short.... all but two boards were bad.... the rest had a big crack right through the middle of em and that crack was FULL of sap, making a HUGE mess all over my mill and on the ground etc... so we started prying them apart (They were stuck to each other!) the dripping sap was getting blown onto our clothes from the wind, and we were grabbing big handful's of sap! My neighbor got a quarter size plop on the top of his head... he stepped in a puddle of sap which made him get taller with every step from the sawdust, I got it all over my arms.... it was a HUGE mess  :D I'll bet $100 that no less than a half gallon poured out of that thing... and its still dripping out of the boards, standing vertical.

Next time.... I'll know better!

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

379hammerdown

:D Yeah it did kinda look like snot

Leslieann

That sounds kind of gross!  :D I bet you had fun getting all of it off!

woodmills1

musta been a pair of pants log,  seen it, bin there didn't like cleanin up :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MikeH

Kcwoodbutcher

A few weeks ago I was felling a nice white oak, about 24" DBH.  The face cut went fine, but about halfway through the bore cut water started to gush out. I pulled the saw out and proceeded to take a shower from the waist down. Turns out that tree was hollow all the way to the triple crotch about 30 feet up. That crotch acted like funnel and and kept the hollow filled with water.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Thank You Sponsors!