iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Changes

Started by Jeff, December 12, 2000, 06:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Some changes have occured in the functions of our forum. If you have not logged out and returned as a guest you probably have not even noticed!

Your profile, and the members list are now hidden except from our members. The instant messaging has been updated, and a help system that will help you post pictures and custom text is on the way. (soon)

One function that I would like your comments on is the popup alert you get if you have a message. Let me know if you want to keep it or if it should be history.(it kinda annoys me) It,s easy enough to tell if you have a private message now by simply looking at your sidebar.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

mmm, I agree, it is annoying. I kept the 2nd or 3rd message you'd sent, cuz I liked the artwork. But the reminder kept popping up.      LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

The pop-up alert for instant messages is history!

Are there any functions that you all would like to see added? Or any that you think need some changes?

L. Wakefield

yeah man! Change your icon so that you are facing away from the puter screen! I want to see what you look like! (LOL) It looks like you are working way too hard. Honestly, where did you get that graphic? It looks like some of the old R. Crum work, if you ever read any underground comix. His guys were always skinny and neurotic, and very very funny, as well as rude. I saw them when I was in college, and now my son is in college and looking at comix himself. R. Crum is now a classic- I don't know if he's still alive.
                       LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

L. Wakefield

ROTFLMAO! First click, and I'm laughing. That website went onto my favorites. I'm afraid there's 3 generations in my (extended) family who thought his work was insanely funny- my ex-husband's mother always kept a collection of his work that my ex had given her (OK, it's a weird family, but I fit right in)- and I know I've mentioned it to my son- but I'll have to show him this site when he comes home from ASU next week.
   On the topic of underground comix- remember Howard the Duck?- another classic, which was made into the movie- I have a copy of the movie. Dr Jennings is my hero. ('Smog inspection! Heh heh heh!')          LW

Bill Johnson

I like the updated look, but what's with the clock? At the present it shows 14:30 hrs and my computer shows 15:30, anyway I enjoy the site and try to check it out daily just to see whats happening. I have great feedback and advice from everyone and do not hesitate to recommend this site to anyone with an interest in forestry.

Keep it coming, and as we say up here "Keep your stick on the ice"

Bill
Bill

Jeff

Hey!
The updates are just started! The problem is a lot of the features that we liked in the old one I coded in, and they are not present here, such as the spell check. Glad you like what you see, but it's what you don't see that will be most important. Don't know if you know about the trashing Steve's board took the other day, but our turn may come,and We must be ready to stop it.

Jeff

Jeff

O.k. I need you guys to tell me if you find any problems, or things that need attention in regards to board function. What do you like, what doesn't seem to work, etc...  If you don't tell me, I won't know.

Bill Johnson

I tried the help and the spell checker, both seem to be working fine now. Of course it took me a while to figure out that if I clicked on contents in help then it would actually show me the contents. (Its one of them days).
Changes look good but you are definitely right about traffic being slow everyone must have gone on a mid-winter vacation.
Bill

Dana Stanley

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2001, 12:33:40 PM
O.k. I need you guys to tell me if you find any problems, or things that need attention in regards to board function. What do you like, what doesn't seem to work, etc...  If you don't tell me, I won't know.
Ok so I am on iphone clicks on something that said full view it was in a box with horizontal limes upper right. Now i have crap view, and that box is gone. Can't get back to original view! Please pm a solution!  
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

lxskllr

I guess you're on desktop view? If so, on the main forum index, scroll all the way to the bottom where the credits are. and click on 'Mobile'

edit:
If anyone else is curious as to what WAP2 is, I looked it up. It appears it was a semi standard made for feature phones, or other seriously constrained devices to render webpages. It appears to be pretty much obsolete at this point, but it looks like it would make a nice ultralight version of the site using text only. If you're heavily data constrained or on a bad network, you can read text with WAP2, and it loads lightning quick.

Wireless Application Protocol - Wikipedia

Firewoodjoe

I hope I'm not asking a question I should know but I've alwasy used the mobile site and yesterday it only lets me see the desktop version. If I select mobile at the bottom of the page it just reloads the same desktop page. 

Jeff

We had a complaint about it so I've disabled it. We are not going to be running it on the new secure server. From my stats thete is only a handful of people running that template

Firewoodjoe

Plankton

Too bad about the mobile was easier to use on a phone. Now that I'm in desktop mode on a phone (dont have a computer) is there a way I can stop the notification "you have one or more unread messages" popup. It comes up everytime I back out of a thread or load a page. I dont believe I have any unread I clicked on each one to be sure.

Jeff

Nomad

Is it just me, or did the Finda-Data-Base go away?  Everything else under the Extra drop-down works, but that doesn't.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Old Greenhorn

I don't know if i have ever used that beyond trying it out when I was exploring. It does not show for me either. I do have the feeling Jeff has been spending a lot of frustrating hours working on yet undisclosed issues that seem to have begun late Christmas night and during a good part of yesterday. Having spent years as a system operator myself, I know these are the thankless tasks that an administrator goes through behind the scenes to keep things running. Few folks understand the hours upon hours spent debugging issues. I really appreciate the fine system Jeff has running here and am not worried at all when something disappears for a while. Any minor inconvenience for the members represents a major hassle for the system administrator. I hope he nails it as he works through it so he can go back to having some fun himself.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

THe last several days we have been under an Asian based DOS attack. We have been playing whackamole trying to ban I.P. blocks.  what @Nomad discovered was simply a casualty of the switch over from http to https and SSL.  the finda database had not been reconfigured. It should be working now. thanks for pointing that out Bill

Nomad

Thanks Jeff.  It's still down as of noon, but I'll check it later.  I realize attacks like this are not easy to deal with!
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Jeff

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

I'm not sure if this is related to the new changes or not. I went to the knowledge base to look for info on drying and none of the links I click on work. The hyperlink address shows up in the lower left corner as normal but I get no response or error when I click on any of the links. Am I missing something. Please don't treat this as a priority, it's not. Maybe just another dumb user mistake.
 Thanks,
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.