iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locust fence post price survey

Started by Dave Shepard, April 18, 2008, 02:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I am going to be quartering a bunch of small locust logs for fence posts soon. What is the going rate in your area per post? I want to establish a per foot price for the posts. They used to be readily available, but most have gone to steel Tposts. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dale Hatfield

I have to laugh My wife is  from east Texas in the pine woods . Pine post plants all over. But they dont use them. I had to ask. They rot too fast. They all use metal T post.
Locust post round me are anywhere from 3 to 5 bucks each pending on size.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Skip

5 bucks apeice is the going rate here

Ironwood

A few years back I bought a bunch of 4x6 and 4x5 blocking from down in West Virginia. Guy had a specilty short blocking mill. It was a Frick w/ a seriously short carriage and he stood right next to the blade  :o, like 2 feet away. WOW. White oak or Locust $5-7 depending on length. Squared all sides. I was driving by his mill empty after a delivery and stopped by to "check it out". Went home loaded :D

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dave Shepard

Started sawing out the locust yesterday. Good thing I had a dust mask in the truck, blechhh! Some of the logs were about 18" and solid and clear all the way through. :-\ I need to make up some kind of add on to the backstops to grab the logs, they didn't like to dog very well.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

Dave

How is the locust sawing? Is it really hard to do anything with.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

It's freshly killed, I don't know if that matters or not. I haven't had any problems other than dogging the logs. The big ones dog good, so I feed pretty fast through those, the small ones I go slower, I am afraid of ripping them out of the clamp. I haven't even tried the debarker on them, bark is too uneven, might work though. I don't think I can go as fast as I can sawing cherry though. :D The dust has a really nast taste/smell to it. >:(

Dave

Sawyerfortyish

I hate sawing locust it makes everyone in the mill sick to there stomach in a short time. That green haze just hangs about 4 feet in the air in the mill kinda like a fog but just green. I don't get very much locust here. I get 8.00 for oak post and 11.00 for locust 4x4.

Dave Shepard

Fortunately I'm sawing outside in a breezy spot so the dust doesn't hang around. With the wireless remote, I can just stay upwind of the dust when I am sawing. Thanks for the prices everyone. These posts are variable in size and dimension. I think the big logs I should have sawn out 4x4's. There are a few that are just about perfect 6x6's. Them's heavy!

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!