iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did Y'all Feel That?

Started by Greg Cook, April 18, 2008, 06:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Cook

Who else was wake to feel the earthquake this morning.  I felt some kind of shaking going on, so I woke my wife up (her coffee was ready)   ;)
She felt it too, so I wasn't hallucinating!
Did some quick searching, finally found a seismographic site,  earthquake.usgs.gov

Saw there was a Magnitude 5 at 4:37 my time centered 6 miles ESE of Salem, IL  and 6 miles below ground.

First glance at the map I thought it was close to Cedarman.
I guess it was close enough for him :o

Hope no one is injured.

Anyway, I've always wanted to be first to post some news on the board, so I'm done now! 8)

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

David Freed

My wife and I felt it 3 miles north of Odon, IN. We are about 60 miles from the epicenter.

Faron

Ditto in Otwell / Petersburg IN.  I watched the clock, and it said 5:36when it started, and 5:38 when the shaking stopped, so it shook for over a minute here.  We were in a second story bedroom, so it might have been amplified a little.  I believe it is the strongest I have ever felt.  By 5:40 I was reporting on the earthquake site. ;D  My daughter says her heeler dog whined and acted odd all day yesterday.  Mine didn't want to get out of the truck last night. ???
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Daren

Felt it here, 120 miles from the epicenter. Rattled the windows pretty good and made the hardwood floors squeak (the floor part was weird, kinda spooky) . Startled my dogs too.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

SwampDonkey

Oh, that was just a small one. ;D

http://earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/historic_eq/20th/miramichi_e.php

The real early one around 1900 mentioned in the above article damaged the western foundation of my house. The house settled 2 inches on that end.

http://seismescanada.rncan.gc.ca/zones/NASZ/nbrunswick_e.php
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Crawfish

They say the quake was felt here, but I didn't feel a thing.  I sleep hard.

All of the pictures are still on the walls......

Faron

It is now reported that there were two related quakes at the same time, downgraded to 5.2 from 5.4.  Some small damage in our area, and reports of a collapsed or damaged building in Louisville Ky.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Kevin_H.

Well we are pretty close to salem and we sure felt it, I woke up this morning to the sound of the "Good" china making noise in the hutch, it was kinda freaky, fire pager didn't go off so I guess no buildings fell  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

bioguy

Had some shaking here in Southern Michigan too, enough to rattle the windows.

Dave
bioguy

ronwood

Felt it to. I about 50 miles east of St. Louis. Bibbyman did you feel out your way?
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

flip

I rolled over and asked Lori if she put a quarter in the bed post :-X :D

Nice way to wake up, eh  ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

faronskid

I had screaming kids running everywhere.  Two of the kids were in bed with me and I grabbed them and rolled out of bed with them and by the time I made it to my bedroom door two more were running across the house screaming.  The fifth one slept through the whole thing.  After it was over my oldest said "Mom, that was cool."  I asked him if it was so cool then why was he screaming like a little girl.  He said "well it was a little scary."     My two year old keeps saying "ooohhh shake me scary." :D 
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

beenthere

Quote from: ronwood on April 18, 2008, 09:15:07 AM
Felt it to. I about 50 miles east of St. Louis. Bibbyman did you feel out your way?
Ron

Or is St. Loius 50 miles east of you??   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

I felt the one this morning and just felt another smaller one a few minutes ago. I thinking Faron or someone else down that way are just stomping their feet. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tree-farmer

In Western NC mountains [Hendersonville]
Heard the house creak like a heavy gust of wind, then the  lamp shade started rocking and rolling next to my chair.

Glad to know I was not going batty. (never mind what my wife says)
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Grawulf

I just thought it was the flying squirrels in the roof rafters until I listened closer and noticed it was glass making noise!

flip

Had another nice reminder about 45 minutes ago.  Never seen a 55 year old man run for a doorway like I did today.  And who says this ain't a fun job. 8)

Daren

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Fla._Deadheader

And, y'all are worried bout me living 20 miles from an active volcano  ::) ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Don't lose your heads over that little shake, this old farm house has been through worst. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

SD
Are ya feelin left out??
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

limbrat

We had a 4 down here last year but the hundereds of feet of soil between the top and the bedrock muffled it no one felt it.
ben

sbishop

Swamp, I remember that earthqake in 82....I was just a young fella but i remember i was in the old house (110 years old) upstairs in my parents room, we were moving at the time to our new house) I couldn't stand up on my own...had to lay on the floor, almost everything fell from the walls....

Glad everyone was ok!

Sbishop

Bro. Noble

My wife said the lamp by our bed was shaking.  She was thinking at first that my snoring was causing it and then decided I'd left the window open.  It wasn't till we were watching the news about an hour later that she had to admit that it wasn't my falt at all. ;D  We are in south central Mo.,  close to the Arkansas line.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Beenthere, nope. Not alone. Just rallying the troops. As the President said, we'll just keep on like business as usual, or something to that effect in 2001. ;)

Leslieann

I live in North Central Arkansas and didn't feel a thing! Maybe I sleep too hard..... :) The Arkansawyer might have felt it. I didn't get up that early.

beenthere

Leslieann
Welcome to the forum. You must be just down the road from that Arkansawyer guy....maybe not far enough down the road, but.... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Tom

Hmmm.   Every quake I've experienced as been somewhere else.   Just lucky I guess.  :D

Furby

My Brother and his family South of Louville, KY felt it. Said the whole house was shaking and they could hear it sorta echoing in the attic.
Said they thought someone was stomping there feet while coming up the basement steps. :o

I was flying down the highway in Southern MI and never noticed it. ;D

Leslieann, Welcome to the forum! 8) :)
It could be real interesting having you here as I belive we might finally get the REAL story about some of these things Arky tells tall tales about!  ;) ;) ;D

Faron

Another 4.5 quake at 1:39 this morning.  That makes 15 aftershocks or so.  At least 2 were noticeable here, about 50 miles from the epicenter.

Roxie

I have a question for those who felt the quake.  What did it sound like to you? 

Years ago, there was a small quake in this area, and I remember the shaking, but what I remember most is that it sounded like a tractor trailer hit the house.  I could actually hear it coming toward me and then the house started shaking.  I was so convinced that I fully expected to see a truck against the house when I looked outside. 

Just curious what y'all heard.

Say when

faronskid

Roxie,  I'm not really sure what I heard during the first quake because I went from sound asleep to all of my kids screaming.  During these last two aftershocks I could hear the rumble before I felt the shaking.  I have heard some people say that the could hear it getting closer and then feel it shake and then hear it rumble off into the distance again.  I'm ready to be done with these quakes, I'm sure not planning  to move to California anytime soon. 
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

flip

Woke up about 5 minutes before this last shakie shakie.  No reason why, felt the shake, counted to about 20, it was over and I fell back asleep.  Somehow I don't think it's over yet, these may just be warm-up.  :(

SwampDonkey

Well, don't say that too loud. I don't want a 6.0 over here, a lot of old buildings might not make it.  :D

Faron

Roxie, your description is pretty close to what I heard and felt.  Maybe a boom in the distance, and a rumble quickly getting closer and louder.  I couldn't swear I heard an initial boom, but it seems to me I did. My first impression on the first quake was perhaps a tornado, but I couldn't square that with what I thought the weather was. I realized what it was as the shaking started.   As the house started shaking, things were pretty loud..

OneWithWood

At first I thought it was a large gust of wind rattling the house.  Linnea said, "No, it's and earthquake!"  She had just read some thread about what to do in a quake a couple of days ago so I thought it was wishful thinking.  That is until the whole hoise started shaking and creaking.  I started to jump out of bed when Linnea said "Stay in bed.  It is the safest place to be.  I know, I just read about it."   :P
Talk about prescient knowledge.  :D
We have a fault line that crosses our property.  For years I thought it was the Stm Mary's spur of the Mount Carmel fault but I recently found out there are a bunch of fault lines all thoughout this region.  And to think I thought I was smart to leave California.  :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

I thought we were having another quake at noon today. I heard a loud thump on the roof and the house  kind of shook. I then thought one of our low flying geese did not make it over the house. After going outside and looking at the roof I discovered that the TV antenna had fallen and struck the roof. It is a clear day with no wind so I wonder why the thing would decided to fall today?  Maybe the earthquake on Friday broke one of the guy wires and it just took a long time to fall. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

You laugh about the goose striking the house, but I know where one did. It took off from a pond, got up to speed, but didn't have enough lift to get above the house. The guy works nights at a dairy farm and was awakened by a wham against the house. Looked out side to see a dead goose on the ground. :D

Furby

Maybe the goose hit the antenna Bob and it managed to get away before you saw it. ;)

Quote from: flip on April 21, 2008, 11:43:40 AM
Somehow I don't think it's over yet, these may just be warm-up.  :(
My Brother either changed carriers or just made some changes to his homeowners policy a couple weeks back.
They asked him if he wanted quake insurance. After both him and his wife looked at the agent like he was nuts, my Brother said "why not, go for it". He figured for $8 a year it might come in handy. Guess you never know eh?  :D :D :D

ScottAR

First, Welcome Leslieann.  Good to see another arkie...

I slept right through it...   I remember a few 3s and 4s back in the 90's.
One happened right when I shut a door quickly.  For a couple seconds
I thought I really slammed the door too hard. Then the neighbors started
pouring out of the houses. 

Seems like we have some small ones every 4-5 years or so.  I figure
if we have several small ones, maybe the big one won't happen. 

I hope anyway...    :-\
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Leslieann

Thanks for the welcome guys!

flip

I wish this would get over with.  Just had a nother 4.0 about 20 minutes ago. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!