iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Greetings from Kentucky

Started by kentuckyboy, May 29, 2003, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyboy

Hello all. I have been lurking around here for a while reading and trying to gather as much knowledge as I could before I plunge into the sawmill business. I really appreciate all the posts here. They show a lot of insight into this business. After looking at every angle and from every angle, I finally decided..enuf is enuf...JUMP IN. I just returned today from Indy with my first mill, a  WM LT40HDG25. As I have heard many times on this forum, The people at Indy couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Thanks in advance for putting up with another newbie.

Danny_S

Welcome to the forum Kentuckyboy, hope you are a little bit crazy or you will never make it in here!!   :D  

Like you said there is lots of great information in here so hope we can help you and you can help us!  

Buck
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Tom

An LT40?   That's a long jump :D  You've got a great machine there.  I have put well over a million board feet across my LT40 since 1990 and still have it. It might entertain me in my later years.  I can't turn it loose. :D

Fla._Deadheader

WOW.  :o :o Jump in is right !!  That's a chunk-a-change. Good luck with yer new toy. We require LOTS of pics here, if'n ya got a camera.  ;D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ohsoloco

Welcome to the board  8)  

Ditto on the pics comment  ;D

dail_h

Welcome KB,nice entry level toy.What are you planning to saw,custom,comercial,portable,hardwood or softwood or both>
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bibbyman

Welcome and congratulations!   We started out in 94 with an LT40G18 - note no HD!  Sawed on it up until about 18 months ago when we updated to and LT40HDE25 Super.

What kind of "toppin's" did you get?  Debarker? Command control? Accuset?

P.S. Did you mention my name while you were there in Indy and get a free hat with your mill?  I've heard if you mention ARKANSAWER they give you a free ballpoint pen. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I heard if you mention Bibbyman the Hat is an ARKANSAWYER hat. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Well,  it did sound like Kentuckyboy got the "ARKANSAWYER Signature Series LT40HDG25" - just like ARKANSAWYER's Wanda.

If he did,  the mill would have the extra "saw at night" light mounted on the belt shield. :D

Sawing since '94

solidwoods

Welcome KY.
I live in Jamestown TN so if you need any ideas feel free to call or visit
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

sawyerkirk

What part of KY? it's a big place!! I'm over here in southern Indiana, around Evansville, not Luval !!

kentuckyboy

We plan on doing custom work starting out with the goal of working from home in the future. Our farm has about 60 acres of hardwood on it and in between jobs we hope to saw our wood out for our saw shed and buildings. Our mill is pretty much standard with a debarker. I plan to add setworks or accuset in the future.
     Bibbyman, I didn't mention any names and they gave me 2 hats and several pens.The ARKANSAWER OPTION may be a plan, because after chasing cows and kids all day, the sawmill may be a good place to retreat to.

jimbo

Hi Kentuckyboy    good to see another kentuckyen on here with a anothe WD     have fun with it and make lots of money too                

Jimbo

kentuckyboy

SAWYERKIRK, We are located near Scottsville, close to Barren River Lake. We can be at the lake in 5 minutes from our house...seems like a good place to wash off sawdust.

Bibbyman

Well, maybe I got it backwards then.  You mention Bibbyman and they only give you one hat ! ;D

P.S.  The Debarker would be my number 1 on the list too.
Sawing since '94

MM

WELCOME.... From INDIANA...... This is the best place for information. If you need anything let me know. I know some about those mills ;D... maybe you could put me on some good fishing,camping or hunting. I always like to get out and see how others are using their mills. If I get caught up I may take a trip to IA.!!!!        I need to run and saw....... Matt
M.L. Morrow
812/614-1825

OneWithWood

Welcome aboard KentuckyBoy!  A number of us have that very same mill - good choice.  I too am in the process of building a saw shed to house my mill.  I picked up my mill this past November.  So far I have just been drooling over it but that will end very soon as I begin milling the lumber for the shed.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dugsaws

Welcome aboard Kentuckyboy,
 Make sure to keep us posted with your sucess and yes lots of pics
Doug

ARKANSAWYER

Well Sir! You did well for an Kentuckyboy.  You got your self a fine mill and one of the many hats that you will need.  There are many hats need in this operation and any one of them will do for a fishing hat. ;D
   I would how ever do your own sawing and get in a little fishing before the word gets out that the mill is at your house.  It is hard to turn down work when a man is standing there with coin in hand and a log in the truck.
 Pictures are good and we want to know when and what you cut of the mill first.  I have a log dog that I have DanG cut the 3/4 bolt off of. ;)
  Had you of told them Fine Folks at WM that you knowed Bibby and Arky in the same breath they would have throwed in more goodies and taken you our for steak dinner. 8) 8) 8)
ARKANSAWYER

ARKANSAWYER

kentuckyboy

Thanks for the response guys. I will try to post pictures when I can. I found my first mistake was not cutting a pile of logs BEFORE I got the mill. I will be heading to the woods shortly to cut some yellow poplar. I have been cutting some junk logs that had marked for firewood and trying to learn to cut what people may want. I also have the sawmill behind our house on the hill (away from the road) while I practice. After a while, we will move down by the road where the saw shed will eventually be.
       ARKANSAWYER, The next time I am in Indy, I will mention some names.....I Love Steak!
       Gotta Go ...Burning Daylight...The woods are calling!

Jeff

Arky forgot the tell you what kind of steak. Tube Steak. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!