iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bump Keys

Started by beenthere, April 16, 2008, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just recently heard about these bump keys... a key that is ground to enable a person to insert it into a lock with tumblers, apply slight rotational pressure while tapping on the key. Causes the pins to jump up and catch the tumbler in the right spots, allowing the lock to open.

Here are a couple videos and source.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5177213949300140850

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Very intersting...read where these have been around for 50 years...???

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

Saw a special on the local news a couple of months ago about those.  Claim is that they can open almost any common residential door lock. >:(
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

leweee

not just for crooks or locksmiths anymore. ::)
locks only keep honest people honest. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

asy

Crikey, that's scary...

I got robbed last year and the insurance company kept asking whether I'd left anything unlocked. Luckilly the police could tell which window the thieves had broken into and how, so there wasn't a question of having left the door open.

Doesn't seem it really matters if keys like this work...    :-\

asy :D

PS: BT, could you please post the actual link to the video site, I'd like to send the link to a friend without linking through the forum. :)
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

beenthere

Asy
Click on "quote" and the link will show up.
The link is all I was after, but the video popped up when I posted.

Also, a search on "bump key" will bring up a slew of sites.  ::) ::)

Locks are really for the honest people, as those really intent on getting in will find a way.

With many of our new homes now, just a utility knife will easily cut the vinyl siding, through the  insulation, and then the drywall. Quiet, and easy entry if the doors are where someone could see one working.  ::) ::) ::) 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

BT,

When my sister was building her new home she was debating wether or not to put plywood underlayment all around the perimeter of the house.  When I pointed out what you just mentioned, she opted to spend the extra few bucks.  Still though, a sawzall is all that is needed. >:(
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Norm

My son accidentally locked me out of our shop on the farm. I got a pipe wrench and put it on the door handle and twisted the tumblers right over.

If someone wants in to your house a locked door is little deterrent. A dog with a big bark is much better.

Bibbyman

I had been called upon a number of times to open locked drawers and cabinets at the office when someone forgot or lost their key.  It's not hard to take a small flat blade screwdriver or knife point and a paper clip and open a lock with pins.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ohsoloco

This reminds me of a video I saw a while back on opening car doors that have keyless remotes.  It was demonstrated in the video that you simply cut a hole (3/4" maybe?) in a tennis ball, place this over the door lock, and push on the ball  :-\  The air pressure somehow unlocks the door.  Not sure if it's real or not though.....

Dan_Shade

the tennis ball thing doesn't work.  that was a video more or less showcasing the girl in the film!

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ohsoloco on April 17, 2008, 09:08:50 PM
This reminds me of a video I saw a while back on opening car doors that have keyless remotes.  It was demonstrated in the video that you simply cut a hole (3/4" maybe?) in a tennis ball, place this over the door lock, and push on the ball  :-\  The air pressure somehow unlocks the door.  Not sure if it's real or not though.....

I think MythBusters took that one on and busted it. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ScottAR

I rekey locks on the rentals all the time...  There's not much in a lock really.

I'm sorta surprised that they keep anything at all out.  I can have one
apart in a minute or two.  I do find it interesting that most more expensive
locks just have more pins in them instead of more complex securing
devices. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Don_Papenburg

The dopers don't use the bumpkey they are still useing a burgler bar .  The little bashtids broke into my new house last night.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Tom

I've been there too.  It's enough to make a preacher cuss.  I hope that law enforcement finds your thieves. My experience here is that there is so much activity that law enforcement doesn't pursuit each and every case.   The best thing we can do is put some kind of identification on everything we own and hope that, if caught, the judge sends them away for a considerable amount of time.

asy

THey caught the ones that robbed me, thanks to some GREAT neighbours I have!

The guys across the road in the Panel Beating shop park cars on the island in the middle of the road between my house and their yard, so they keep an eye out on their cars all day. They saw a strange van stop at my house and four guys run into my backyard, and as the panel beaters said "they didn't look like your usual standard of guests".  (Mind you, I thought it funny that I HAVE a "standard of guest"...).

Anyway, they not only got descriptions, and called the police, they also got numberplates and PHOTOS of the criminals!!!  Only mobile phone photos, but photos to back up their descriptions none the less.

To cut a long story short, they caught two of them, and the other two fled interstate, but were dumb enough to come back and got nabbed. They've all been found guilty, but I admit I'm not sure what sentences they got (the detective went on holidays just after the case and hasn't rung me with the news, it wasn't long ago that they got sentenced).

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

fuzzybear

Years ago I decided I wasn't putting locks on our new house. I figured if they want in they are getting in. And I don't want to have to pay for a new window or door jamb when they force their way in.  Of course I have anywhere from 15-40 dogs around the house at any time. ;D 
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

leweee

:D Donavan.....that will even keep the Bears away. :o :D :D :D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Don_Papenburg

I did not even bother to call the sheriff.  Last two times that I was ripped off I was told that there is nothing we can do unless we catch them red handed.  If I call the insurance company my premiums will go up and they would not pay for half of what stuff is worth.  All of what was taken did not have any ID of any type on it so I would not get it back if it went through court.  Then there is the wasted time of police report insurance report and court with lawyers wanting continuances.   
  I did learn a few things about door jambs.  It looks like I could route out a space for a steel plate that would fit in front of the latch and dead bolt  then cover that with the aluminum trim .Then pry bars would not beable to get between the door and the jamb.  That is how they  got into my  house ,only this is the only door that did not have a deadbolt.     The garage has a dead bolt but I made the jamb for it and it has a deeper rabbit than other factory doors so the bar would not fit very well .
I am thinking cameras and remote moniters so I will know who it is next time . Without proof the law will not help.    I was also thinking of a cattle gaurd only with 1x2s intead of steel bars make it deepenough that the pickup would need the tow truck to get out. That would give me a beter chance of catching them also.

fuzzybear

If I had my home broken into more than twice, I would have to electrify the door knob with about 50,000 volts.  I think the Sherrif would have his proof then. ;D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

pineywoods

You gotta stay one step ahead of the thieves, not easy. Lots of un-inhabited hunting camps around here.
Folks started leaving the motion-activated game cameras at the camps. Thieves stole the cameras. That led to using 2 cameras, one mounted in a fairly obvious place, another concealed, pointing at camera # 1.
That worked for a while, til one thief got caught and the local newspaper spilled the beans. My son has a camp in the wilds of mississippi, he has found a solution that looks good. I just may install it on my house and shop. A motion-activated video camera that has  wireless internet connection built in. Any movement in the range of the camera, it wakes up, connects to the internet and uploads video to a pre-determined server. It can also play back  recording through a speaker, like" hey I see you and I just took your picture". The whole package is leased from a security firm for bout the same as a commercial burglar alarm. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Furby

Piney, look around the web, you can buy cheaper versions of that type of a system.
No point in renting them. ;)

Don_Papenburg

I had been thinking about a vidio system but have not had any problems in the new place for years so it was a backburrner type of project .   In Illinois it is illegal to set traps for crooks ,in an effort to protect your property,if the trap will cause harm.  >:(
However If you left the dropcord with the bare wire spots hanging over the door knob that would be an accident  ,right?

Thank You Sponsors!