iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230

Started by 6martin, April 16, 2008, 06:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6martin

Hey guys,I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for advice on a skidder.I operate a small logging business in VA.I use a John Deere 440a skidder and its too small and I'm having lots breakdowns.I looked at a 230 Timberjack with the Allison trans.I think its a 1979.Is this a good reliable skidder?Any help would be appreciated.

a old timberjack

hello and welcome. jd makes a awsome machine, you cannot put them down at all. i have always run and still do , run timberjacks, one big point about a jack compared to a deere, is that a good heavy-duty autoparts store ( napa, car-quest etc, etc.) has just about everything right at their fingertips to keep you running, deere on the other hand, most are dealer items (unless you are a real hacker.)
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

6martin

The 440 is a good machine.Mine is a 440a which alot of parts are discontinued for the A.I just need a bigger machine.The tj 230 I found has eaton written all over it,grill,axles,winch.Some told me that this was a heavier 230,but I don't know much about tj.I do know that its alot bigger machine with more hp.440-45hp and 230-99hp thats a big difference.Also what is a 230 super E? The guy is asking $12000 for the 230 I looked at,doesn't look like its been run much.The hour meter only says 884 which sounds awful low for a 79.Is this a good price?

donny hochstetler

Hi there;  I am from ohio pretty hilly around here , used to have a 230D t.j. couldn't keep brakes on it, i probably redid them 4 times in 2 months, very discouraging and unsafe you couldn;t hold yourself to winch logs up to you. but as far as the rest of the machine it was fine i actually like the design easy on easy of .I also had a 380 t.j. with a 3 spd. clark transmission powershift, great brakes,nice skidder.I like the stick for the steering.

6martin

Now that you mention it the brakes don't work on this 230 either,plus I just called about a 230d with manual trans and he said the brakes don't work on that one either.The auto I tried out seemed to have great power and was in very good condition.I've heard a couple of people mention 230 super e.Has any you TJ fans heard of that?I could really use some advice I don't want to waste money on a bad mchine.Thanks

Dave Shepard

My 208 doesn't have brakes either, the brake and clutch pedal are rusted together. The actual brake parts are in excellent condition . ??? I know where there is a junk payloader with the same axles that have huge drum brakes, that would stop it, I'm very tempted.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

a old timberjack

tj breaks are very simple, single master cyl, 1 line, spring, small wheel cyl and 2 shoes most people dont know how to adjust them, the biggest sulprit on a jack is the transfercase developes a leak and the oil leaks on the drum and dont work, mine leaks, i just on a reg basis, spray break kleen in the drum and let it sit overnite and good to go the next morning, i will also tell you on a 200 series jack 208, 225 230 etc, etc, it cost about 240 $$ to replace everything in the breake system , bolts included, a final note, people forget to check the fluid level in the master cyl all the time there is a small vent hole in the top of the master cyl. when you press the pedal , fluid pisses out, why, i dont know and before you know it, the fluid is gone and no breaks, if you fill it , make sure it is clean around it!!! i seen many problems with wood chips , and crud getting in the master cyl. i have experinced all of these issues.............good luck!!!
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

MaineLogger

Quote from: 6martin on April 16, 2008, 06:08:23 PM
Hey guys,I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for advice on a skidder.I operate a small logging business in VA.I use a John Deere 440a skidder and its too small and I'm having lots breakdowns.I looked at a 230 Timberjack with the Allison trans.I think its a 1979.Is this a good reliable skidder?Any help would be appreciated.
I have run one these auto 230's and I wouldn't be scared of one at all.They used to get a bad rap but that was before the Allison became so popular(school buses,dump trucks,etc.)now there is plenty of aftermarket parts for them.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

MaineLogger

Quote from: 6martin on April 16, 2008, 09:26:32 PM
The 440 is a good machine.Mine is a 440a which alot of parts are discontinued for the A.I just need a bigger machine.The tj 230 I found has eaton written all over it,grill,axles,winch.Some told me that this was a heavier 230,but I don't know much about tj.I do know that its alot bigger machine with more hp.440-45hp and 230-99hp thats a big difference.Also what is a 230 super E? The guy is asking $12000 for the 230 I looked at,doesn't look like its been run much.The hour meter only says 884 which sounds awful low for a 79.Is this a good price?
Just because it's an E model doesn't mean it will always have Eaton rearends.Eaton rearends are what you want,bigger and stronger internals with a tough housing.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

MaineLogger

Quote from: a old timberjack on April 18, 2008, 05:01:37 AM
tj breaks are very simple, single master cyl, 1 line, spring, small wheel cyl and 2 shoes most people dont know how to adjust them, the biggest sulprit on a jack is the transfercase developes a leak and the oil leaks on the drum and dont work, mine leaks, i just on a reg basis, spray break kleen in the drum and let it sit overnite and good to go the next morning, i will also tell you on a 200 series jack 208, 225 230 etc, etc, it cost about 240 $$ to replace everything in the breake system , bolts included, a final note, people forget to check the fluid level in the master cyl all the time there is a small vent hole in the top of the master cyl. when you press the pedal , fluid pisses out, why, i dont know and before you know it, the fluid is gone and no breaks, if you fill it , make sure it is clean around it!!! i seen many problems with wood chips , and crud getting in the master cyl. i have experinced all of these issues.............good luck!!!
The brakes on an auto 230 are in the transfer,but still pretty easy to fix.
I agree with Old Timberjack,on the regular standard tranny models the brake system is so *DanG simple that there is no excuse not have good brakes.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

6martin

Thanks for all the help with the tj.I have only ran John Deere,so I'm lost when it comes to TJ.The brake pedal on the 230 auto barely even moves maybe an inch,got any ideas?I think I might offer him $10000 its been for sale for about a year,don't know why its been sitting so long,maybe the price,around here you can get Franklin 170 grapple for that price,but I want something I can haul myself.Everyone says the 230 is reliable and parts are cheaper than JD.What parts are available at for example napa?

Thank You Sponsors!