iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just impulse bought a planer/moulder (now with pictures)

Started by jrokusek, April 16, 2008, 12:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrokusek

I've been wanting a planer/moulder for a while but don't really want to spend the money for a new one.  I had an Ebay search set up to email if one was found locally.  Well, I found an OLD RBI one and bought it before I really thought this through!  DanG Ebay.

At least I can afford this one!  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170210800658   I called the company and they actually spoke as if this is a decent machine.  Anyone have any experience with this particular model (408)?  I'm sure I'll need to check the feed rollers, replace the start switch, etc. but what else do I need to look out for?

Haven't told my wife yet.   :o

submarinesailor

Looks alot like a Belsaw that a buddy of mine has.

woodmills1

yes it looks a bit like my belsaw, what does it have for a motor?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don_Papenburg

Look OUT !!!  thats a fryin pan fling towards you!
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jrokusek

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on April 16, 2008, 09:23:03 PM
Look OUT !!!  thats a fryin pan fling towards you!

I broke the news to the wife tonight.  I started the conversation with, "I was on Ebay yesterday....remember that $4500 machine I wanted to buy?"   Once she cooled down I told her the price and she wasn't quite so steamed.  She's a very tollerant woman! 

I'm not sure on the motor, but it is 110 volt.  I thought it looked like the Belsaw too.  I'm excited to get it but it may be 2 weeks or so until I have time.

Larry

RBI is in Harrisonville Mo. just a few miles from Kansas City.  Kansas City was the headquarters for Belsaw now Woodmaster.  Both companies subbed out work to RBI...maybe even whole machines if the truth was known.  Thats the reason for the similarity in the planer/moulder line.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

woodmills1

mine has a 220 baldor 5 horse................
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Ironwood

Those were offered in 3 and 5 HP. preference give n to the 5 hp. Great for custom moulding small runs, historical stuff. If the feed roll is worn, one guy who uses duct tape to wrap it and he run MILES of moulding through his in Auburn N.Y.. He swears by them. Have fun.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Greenskeeper

I have been using duct tape on my outfeed roll on a grizzley moulder for a long time now.I have a new roller for it,just to sorry to take it apart and put it on.It's to easy to just feed more tape on as it ware's down. :D

jrokusek

Quote from: Ironwood on April 17, 2008, 09:37:22 PM
Those were offered in 3 and 5 HP. preference give n to the 5 hp. Great for custom moulding small runs, historical stuff. If the feed roll is worn, one guy who uses duct tape to wrap it and he run MILES of moulding through his in Auburn N.Y.. He swears by them. Have fun.

Ironwood

Can it be 3hp even though it is 110 volts?  I don't have the machine yet so I can't say for sure, but thought you had to have 220 volts to get 3hp.  I really like the duct tape concept!  I am sure I will be trying that!!

Ironwood

You can go up to 10 HP on single phase.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

Don't worry too much about that motor until you've tried it out.  My old Belsaw 12" planer/moulder just has a one horse motor.  I was already shopping for another motor when I got the new knives and rollers on it(the old ones were unusable), and I was amazed at how well it performed.  It will take a good bite out of 8" pecan or oak without straining, and it doesn't even know pine or cedar is in there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pappy

jrokusek,

After ya get it and clean er up ya and ya might want to make some moulding this ole thread I did a few years back might help ya out... I've made a bunch of mouldings through the years with mine..  :)g   And yes RBI and Belsaw / Sears / Craftsman are pretty much the same...  I've gotten parts from RBI for mine...

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,6156.msg85532.html#msg85532
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

David Freed

jrokusek,

A quick look at grainger's website showed 12 different 3 hp motors that could run on 115/230 volts. The next bigger size (4 hp) was only available in 230 volts. I would take a wild guess that it could be a dual voltage motor currently wired as listed.

Ironwood,

I agree, you can get a 10 hp in single phase, but not in 110 volts.

jesse

Quote from: David Freed on April 20, 2008, 01:53:27 PM

I agree, you can get a 10 hp in single phase, but not in 110 volts.

i would not want to see how dim the lights got when starting if the 10 hp was made in 120 volts a 10 hp 240 volt on air compressor dims the lights in the garage and house and they have seperate services

jrokusek

I got the machine today and was pleasantly surprised that it was nicer than the pictures made it out to be!  Turns out I bought the planer/molder from the original owner.  It was actually in decent shape - even the feed rollers look ok.  I gave it a once over and fired it up.  Started and ran fine but vibrated quite a bit.  The owner said he had a jig where he would sharpen the planer blades on a stone mounted in a drill press.  The blades are close to the same weight, but my scale shows there is just over a full gram difference between the heaviest and the lightest one.  I'm really not sure how close they need to be.  They were so dull I'm not sure they would have cut warm butter.  I'll get them sharpened tomorrow.  There was also quite a bit of sawdust under the gibs and I'm sure that contributed to the vibration.  Other than that and a busted switch the thing runs great and did an OK job on a piece of cedar, considering the blades were dull.  Now I need to figure out where to get molding knives and how to make molding!

ADAMINMO

I have a list of several companies that make moulding blades. Maybe they can help you. PM me your fax number or e-mail addy and I will send the list to you.
Adam

hilliardman1965

I have a new to me Woodmaster W-408.  How the heck did you get the blades out?

Michael Kenefick
Michael Kenefick
Hilliard, Ohio
Crappy as always 8>)

Fla._Deadheader

The Aluminum "gibs", that hold the blades, are tapered. You loosen JUST the bolts in the aluminum, and then tap the gibs down, more into the head. The blades get loose and you lift them out.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

sawwood

jrokusek the rbi company is out of bueiness but a company bought it and has some
parts of it. going to our club meeting to night ans will git the adrerss for you.  I have
the woodmaster 18 and i buy my moulding blades from a guy here in KC. there are
a lot of co that has blades and you can buy some on ebay.

Lester
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!