iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

loggers boots? what do you wear?

Started by zackman1801, April 14, 2008, 07:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman1801

Hey guys, im looking into getting some new boots to wear for the summer season when it gets hotter.  I am wearing the Husqvarna light 24's  right now and they are  not extremely comfortable, between being made of kevlar and rubber they are cold in the winter and really hot in the warmer parts of the year.  So im looking into getting leather ones. but the problems im running into are the fact that almost no companies except for labonville make leather boots with kevlar protection for your feet.  so my question is what do you guys wear for boots and do you know of any other companies that make boots that are protective enough to wear in the woods. Most places advertise "loggers boots" but then when reading the description they also say , not waterproof,  uninsulated, and some dont even have steel toe.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

My danner tillamook fireline boots pull double duty. the are water proof but plain toe because of NFPA standards. Most logger/ fire fighting boots are un insulated leather. a pair of bailey's red dawgs may be right up your alley or a pair called metatarsel boots google it to find a dealer. It's a style not a brand.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

but are they cut resistant?
All places around here like the osha standards and thats one of them. i surely dont want an osha inspector showing up and writing me a fine that i cant afford. i can hardly afford to do any cutting let alone pay unneeded fines.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

thecfarm

Don't labonville sell kevlar inserts?Buy a pair of boots one size bigger and than put these kevlar socks on.I think these are OSHA legal.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dan_Shade

does osha require kevlar shoes?  or is that a personal preference thing?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Kevin

Dale Hatfield

Kevin
I dont have the paperwork to back it up right now . But I believe in the Logging Regs its says foot cut protection.
Here i found it.
1910.266(d)(1)(v)

The employer shall assure that each employee wears foot protection, such as heavy-duty logging boots that are waterproof or water repellent, cover and provide support to the ankle. The employer shall assure that each employee who operates a chain saw wears foot protection that is constructed with cut-resistant material which will protect the employee against contact with a running chain saw. Sharp, calk-soled boots or other slip-resistant type boots may be worn where the employer demonstrates that they are necessary for the employee's job, the terrain, the timber type, and the weather conditions, provided that foot protection otherwise required by this paragraph is met.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/mainpage.html
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

pappy19

White's are the true logging boot still made in the USA in Spokane, Washington. I have 2 pairs, one logger and one packer. Had my first pair in 1965 along with a Ruana knife from Bonner, Montana. Still the best in both worlds.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Craig

These are what I wear,

http://www.cspoutdoors.com/swedeproboots.html

I have them with caulked soles but you can get them with or without.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

woodmills1

I am all red wing for work and for play, I even use their wool socks.  I get incredible wear from the boots and shoes and the socks keep the sweat away from my feet.  Free laces and stiching for life and the socks cured my stinky feet. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

Thanks for posting that Dale, the regulations are different on this side at least in Ontario.
I'll see what I can find  for a reference.

Looks like there's something in the works but it hasn't passed yet.

QuoteIt is not yet known when the new standard will be in place

http://www.ofswa.on.ca/thelog/march2001/footwear.html

Canadian regulations

Heavy, well-fitted, safety work boots approved by standards like CAN/CSA Standard Z195-M92: Protective Footwear, or ANSI Standard Z41-1999: Personal Protection - Protective Footwear.

In addition to the regular requirements for safety boots, chain saw operators should wear boots made from cut-resistant materials that offer protection from contact with running chain saws.
Boots made of ballistic nylon offer the best cut protection.
Rubber soles for wet weather and snow, and hobnail boots, grip soles or cork soles for rough terrain.

The wording here is should wear and not must wear but I'm sure it's coming.

snowman

Pappy said it, Whites! If you want the best you want whites. Heres an interesting side note though. "You can't get good leather anymore, boots will never be as good as they once were". Thats what guy at Whites told me a few years back. I said, what, cows are different these days? I guess it's about chromoly leather though. You apparently can't use chromium  tanned leather anymore and thats what makes the best leather. Enviros strike again. Anyway, I'm no leather expert, just what I was told.

roger 4400

Hi ! Do you have any friend that works as a solderer? Or in a steel shop?
    Their booth are leather, steel toe and over the laces they have a special *tongue * of steel that cover all from the ankle to the toe cap.... so this way the upper part of the feet is protected.    Good luck                              Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

timberfaller390

Quote from: roger 4400 on April 15, 2008, 12:49:28 PM
    Hi ! Do you have any friend that works as a solderer? Or in a steel shop?
    Their booth are leather, steel toe and over the laces they have a special *tongue * of steel that cover all from the ankle to the toe cap.... so this way the upper part of the feet is protected.    Good luck                              Roger

These are what I refered to as metatarsel boots.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

thing is if i do cut my boots i want just the boots to be unusable not my chain too. if you were to hit a steel tongue in one of those your chain would probably look pretty crappy after.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Dan_Shade

i don't think a metatarsal or a steel toe mean much to a high speed chain.  I cut a 3/8 bolt nearly in half once before I realized I hit something...  I also cut a 5/16 cable in half completely by accident once....

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

I think the most important thing to worry about is the foot and the tendons in the foot that is in the boot.... ::) ::) ::)

Can easily get new boots and new chain....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zackman1801

although im not sure about how moving around in the woods with those would be. although i like the suggestions about the boots. im not sure why they dont make more boots with cut resistant materials more readily available. i see all kinds of boots around that advertise for logging but they fall short of the mark in one way or another.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

woodsrunner

I have been wearing Matterhorn boots for some years now. I have been very satisfied with them.  :-*They have a loggers boot that is pricey but they have kevlar to foul the chain, steel toe and gortex lining to keep your feet dry and a vibram sole. As far as the steel toe not stopping the chain, I disagree. Saw a video on youtube demonstrating the plastic toe and the steel toe chainsaw boots with kevlar lining. The chainsaw chewed right thru the plastic toed boot with kevlar. The steel toed boot did not allow the chain to cut thru the boot to where your foot would be. On a real life personal observation of this, about 2 months ago, I was standing about 6 feet away from my brother when he let the tip of his bar hit the steel toe of his chainsaw boots head-on. The chain when thru the leather and kevlar and hit the steel cap and bounced back out. Instead of having to deal with an emergency way back in the woods (30 minutes on the 4 wheelers to the truck and another 45 minutes to a hospital) all that happened was "DanG it, I cut my boot!!!!! BTW, we also wear chaps and hardhats with hearing protection and eye protection. I have learned the hardway, getting injured hurts too much, costs too much in the short run and costs way too much in the long run. ;)

twobears

when,your limbing on the offside of the tree keep your toes back and you won,t have to worry about cutting your foot..  ;D

delbert

woodsrunner

Sorry, forgot to add i found the Matterhorn boots online at the "Working Person's Store". Probably others have them too.

timberfaller390

The thing about any type of saw protection whether it be chaps, boots or whatever is that they are only made to stop a coasting chain. not sure any thing on the market will stop a saw runnin at full throttle. And no matter what kind of protective gear you wear IT STILL DOESN'T REPLACE COMMON SENSE AND SAFE PRACTICES!!!! I'm not saying don't wear it because I won't go to the woods without it but just don't rely on it to keep you safe. Your health and safety are the most important thing, like beenthere said you can always get new gear not new body parts. Look at Jay Browning no amount of safety gear would have saved his hand. Just pay attention and be careful out there. Okay I'm done
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 16, 2008, 02:34:18 PM
The thing about any type of saw protection whether it be chaps, boots or whatever is that they are only made to stop a coasting chain. not sure any thing on the market will stop a saw runnin at full throttle. .............

timberfaller
My first experience with chaps was with a full-throttle running chain. The kevlar ripped out and plugged up the clutch...the chain never made it through the inside layer before it stopped moving. It happened while cutting off saplings, and the saw caught on a stump,  pivoting the cutting edge into my leg just above the knee cap. Happened quick, and without any feeling of pressure from the saw. Also, the day before leaving for a 12 day elk hunting trip...woulda put the kabosh on that plan for sure. Very chilling experience, to say the least.
Don't suggest anyone try it out on a fresh leg, but there are demo's of full throttle saws dropped onto chaps laying on a log.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

zackman1801

im just interested in getting boots to help keep me safe. i know that in the end it all comes down to common sense, but sometimes accedents do happen that you cant foresee, or stop. 

woodsrunner, im not saying that the steel toe boots wont stop the chain, all im saying is that if the saw bar runs into the side or top of your foot, there is no protection there.

also beenthere, ive also seen the videos of saws running into chaps, Labonville has one with 4-5 chaps to see which ones go through. its scary to see that very few of them actually stopped the chain before it went through.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

woodmills1

was that shoe thing the one with hot dogs for toes like the chrush test?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!