iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 350, Motor Problems?, To Be Discontinued

Started by RCrosby, April 14, 2008, 06:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCrosby

Sure glad I found this site.  Looks like you folks can help, and I'd sure appreciate it.
I have a small wood lot and have used a Stihl 032 for more years than I can remember.
The last couple of years its had a serious oil leak but the dealer told me  to just check the oil level before each use as repair would cost more than its worth.
I'm now ready for a new saw.  A neighbor has a Husqvarna 350 that he's had for over 5 years, works hard (about 15 cord of hard wood a year) and he swears by it.
I've been checking prices.  Lowes quoted me $339.00 and the salesman pretty much echoed my neighbors sentiment; i.e. has had a 350 for years and loves it.

Then I called a small local dealer who said,
1.  That Husqvarna is planning to discontinue the 350,
and, of greater concern to me,
2.  That they haven't carried the 350 for over 2 years because of engine problems.  They recommend a 450 at about $369.00

Price isn't a factor, but getting a trouble free saw is. 
So, what's the deal with the 350?  Engine problems?  On the way out?  Other recommendations?

I'll be  cutting 2 to 3 cords of mostly ash and maple a year.  Most running 12 to about 21 " in diameter.
Thanks,
Rob

mountaineer

beenthere

RCrosby
Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump, and hang on....answers and help sure to arrive soon.  :)

Try out the search function above, and see if some of the older threads already cover some of the Husky info. There has been lots of discussion on here. Work with a dealer if you can. That is where satisfaction can run high.

I've a Stihl MS361, and would recommend it to anyone.  :)  Also a super Stihl dealer to work with, for the last 30 years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

A Dolmar 5100s around $400 will outcut a Husky 350 by a lot.  Or a Husky 346xp new edition (50cc) is another good one, I think a little more money than the Dolmar.   A Stihl 361 is around $570 and wieght a little over a pound more than the Dolmar or Husky, also a good saw but a lot more money.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

olyman

seems to me--in the same hp, stihls weigh more----

woodsrunner

My 2 cents (for what its worth, maybe 1 cent nowdays). First go to both Husky's and Stihl's USA websites. Look thru the saws they have listed and pick out a saw from each site that fits your use. I base my decisions on saws on horsepower to weight ratio, power to do the job and for me personally it has to be a pro saw. If you shop around you can find a good deal on the pro saws and they should last better than the consumer saws made today. Then find a dealer who knows saws and knows the product line and who you can establish a good relationship with. Then buy the saw from that guy, no matter what brand it is. Husky and Stihl both make great saws, I don't think one brand over the other is any big deal. What is a big deal is the dealer support you can get. Nothing worse than a saw that won't run or a dealer who can't fix it to your satisfaction. I'm a Husky guy myself, but, that is just habit (kind of like the Ford/Chevy thing) and I have a good dealer close by. For what it worth the husky 350 has a good reputation but IF it were me and I was only looking at Husky, I would look hard at the 346xp or the 359. I have both and really like them, light and powerful. I don't know the Stihl lineup well enough to recommend one of them but I'm sure the Stihl guys will chime in.

thecfarm

RCrosby,welcome to the forum.I run husky so can not help you.But why after running a stihl,I suppose you had good luck with it,change brand now?Sounds like you have a good stihl dealer,stick with him.A good dealer is worth alot.I had an 032 too.That started leaking all over the place too.But that was an saw that I used alot.Than I bought a husky.I guess I did not care for the stihl dealer so went to husky.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, RCrosby!

I've used a Husky 350 a little, was the sawmill saw at my last job. Seemed to have good power to weight. That's all I know about it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sawguy21

The 350 had a good run but it is no longer emission compliant. Husky is over hauling the whole line and a number of favorites are disappearing. Have to wonder about the long term reliability of the new designs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

RCrosby

Thanks for the info and warm  welcome's.  The main  reason I was thinking of leaving the Stihl's behind is just that it's been so long since I bought mine that I really felt a need to find out what folks were doing today.  I'll stop by the Stihl dealership after work today and likely end up doing a point for point comparison between the Husky 450 and whatever comes closest in a Stihl.
I was impressed with the reports I heard about the the H.'s vibration dampening system.  Any comments on how the Stihl's compare in that department?
Thanks again,
Rob

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on April 14, 2008, 07:38:22 PM
A Dolmar 5100s around $400 will outcut a Husky 350 by a lot.  Or a Husky 346xp new edition (50cc) is another good one, I think a little more money than the Dolmar.   A Stihl 361 is around $570 and wieght a little over a pound more than the Dolmar or Husky, also a good saw but a lot more money.   Steve

Totally agree, except the 5100S actually is less than a pound lighter than the MS361.

The 353 is a compromize, with the pro saw design of the 346xp, but with a more primitive engine, with less power.

The Husky 350 has been among the best "consumer" quality saws for years - this is the first time I hear about engine problems.....

The 450 is heavier and has less power - EPA driven design that I would avoid.

Stihl is well behind Husky and Dolmar regarding 50 cc saws, so no real options there, unless you step up to the 59cc MS361.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: RCrosby on April 15, 2008, 08:16:42 AM.... I was impressed with the reports I heard about the the H.'s vibration dampening system.  Any comments on how the Stihl's compare in that department?
Thanks again,
Rob

The only Stihl models that are about on par with the Huskys in that regard is the MS361 and 441.
Information collector.

ve2vk

Hi,
    This is my first post on the Forestry Forum. If I remember well the Husky 350 is not considered a pro saw because the crankcase is plastic, same saw as the Jonsered 2150 except for the angled bar. the 346XP new edition is a pro saw, definitly a good performerin the 50cc class.
If you're willing to go with more weight the Stihl MS361 is a top performer, it doesn't have much competition in the 59cc class  :)

Jonsered 2149W   2150   2152CWH   2153CWH   2156CWH
Husqvarna 365 Zama carb 1997
Stihl MS200T
       MS361 VW Arctic

KentT

Quote from: RCrosby on April 14, 2008, 06:56:22 PM
Then I called a small local dealer who said,
1.  That Husqvarna is planning to discontinue the 350,
and, of greater concern to me,
2.  That they haven't carried the 350 for over 2 years because of engine problems.  They recommend a 450 at about $369.00

Price isn't a factor, but getting a trouble free saw is. 
So, what's the deal with the 350?  Engine problems?  On the way out?  Other recommendations?

I'll be  cutting 2 to 3 cords of mostly ash and maple a year.  Most running 12 to about 21 " in diameter.
Thanks,
Rob

Noob here, who lurked a long time before finally registering...

Just wanted to ask if your dealer provided any insight into the 350 engine problems that he talked about? 

The reason why is that after a lot of research, I just bought one yesterday -- having a bit of a challenge still finding one in stock locally.  In addition to researching the 'Net -- archives here and at "other, similar" sites, plus reading a lot of reviews and feedback from previous buyers at places like Baileys -- and talking to three local dealers, I heard really NOTHING of significance about problems with the 350.  There were earlier complaints from owners about starting -- likely because of flooding from too much choke -- which were addressed with a "primer bulb" and new starting procedures (perhaps among other things), but nothing related to longevity of the engine.

My local dealers led me to believe that the new 450 is essentially the 350 updated to the new smog standards, adding a few extra ounces of weight in the process -- same with the new 445, etc.  One dealer, that I've had nothing but good experience with, actually suggested that I look elsewhere to find a "hold-over" 350, since he only had 345s and new 450s in stock -- he'd sold all his stock of 350s.  That's exactly what I did, even though it cost him a sale, and he knew it.  He also knew that I'd likely be bringing it to him for any needed service, the same as I have with other power equipment.  I personally like the idea of the last production year of a proven design that's had all the major bugs worked out, compared to the first year of a new design -- your perspective and mileage may vary...

BTW, I didn't buy it to be my "only saw" but to supplement the little Stihl 011 that I've had for years.  I've bought retirement property in the woods, and I need something a bit more capable than the 011, which I plan to use for limbing, trimming, etc.  I wanted something that I could safely fell a 12" - 14" hardwood, or quickly cut up the predominant white pines I have in the 12" - 16" range.  I was looking for light weight (I'm getting old and lazy -- or weaker), 3+ HP and an 18" bar.  The 350 seemed to fit that bill nicely at the price I was willing to pay.  I wanted more than a "box store" saw, local dealer support, but didn't need a real firewood processing saw nor something to cut timber with. 

woodsrunner

I think sawguy21 nailed it when he said the 350's disappearance is about emissions. I've heard other more knowledgeable people than I say most of the current lineup of saws from all manufacturers we are all familiar with will soon disappear and be replaced with new saws that meet the US and EU standards for emissions. Just means that the "older designs" don't meet those standards, not that they weren't good designs from a performance point of view. 

Arich

I cut wood for a living and Ive used all kinds of saws and im here to tell you that my experience has been this: buying anything but a stihl is a mistake.

Trax

If your set on the Husky get the 346XP its a little more but its worth it. It will out perform and out last the 350.

RCrosby

Well, time will tell.  Like Kent I went ahead a picked up a 350.  Just felt better to me than the comparable Stihl I was looking at.  That and the fact that I have a next door neighbor who has a 350, cuts more wood each year than I may in what's left of my lifetime, and has helped me tear down and repair everything from small B & S lawnmower engines to another neighbors dump truck gizzards.   Good neighbors are definately one of god's blessings!
Thanks to all who responded.   I'll stop back in after I've covered my toes with wood chips a few times.
Cheers,
Rob

little Bark

Welcome to the Fourm.  I also own a 350.  Have had it almost a year now and I would give it an ok score.  Mine was given to me as thank you gift from my wifes grandparents.  I was running an old 031 av that needed replaced but somehow kept running. The 031 will out cut that 350 any day.  I do like the handeling of the 350 it is a saw that I can run for hours and still feel good.    I keep  a 13" or 14" bar on mine and run 95vp chain.  It is a lot of fun to run w/ that set up.  And makes a great limbing saw.  I did have problems w/ the bar oil pump but that was covered and have not had any other problems. 

I cut about the same amout of wood as you do maybe a little more.  I try to cut extra to sell to cover my cost  and buy my wife a
little something for putting up w/ my little hobby.

Always use the rite tool for the job.

logwalker

Quote from: Arich on April 16, 2008, 07:01:57 PM
I cut wood for a living and Ive used all kinds of saws and im here to tell you that my experience has been this: buying anything but a stihl is a mistake.

Arich, comments like the above don't really come across too well and aren't what this forum is about. It might make a person question what your experience really is. Just my $.02. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

arlen

I own a husky 350 I have used it a few years. It came with a 20" bar and chain. It was quite a step up from the homelites and craftsmen saws I had. I think it is a good saw I have never had any problems with it.  David

thecfarm

arlen,welcome to the forum.What brings you to this great forum?Hope you stick around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawTroll

Quote from: arlen on April 19, 2008, 02:40:34 AM
I own a husky 350 I have used it a few years. It came with a 20" bar and chain. It was quite a step up from the homelites and craftsmen saws I had. I think it is a good saw I have never had any problems with it.  David

Waaaay too long bar on that saw imo - try a 16" one, and you will be even more happy with it..... ;)
Information collector.

arlen

Saw Troll I think you are right. The bar it too long it came with the saw I bought 4 new chains and a new bar for it so I will probably stick with the bar for now and not push it too hard. I just bought a makita 6401 with a 20" bar I will use the makita for bigger stuff. I joined the forum to learn about chainsaws ,cutting wood, and trees thanks. I'll try not to hijack the thread any more David.

Thank You Sponsors!