iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ace Bar and Chain Oil

Started by Crawfish, April 13, 2008, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crawfish

Do you folks have any experiance with the Ace brand bar and chain oil??

I have always used Stihl oil, but I'm paying $13 a gallon for it.

I can get the Ace oil for $6 a gallon.

Cutting 100 to 120 cords of firewood per year, it adds up!

What do you guys think?  Should I try the Ace oil?

jjmk98k

thats a big savings!

I noticed the Poulan pro stuff seems to sling off the bar easier than the husqvarna stuff.... but probably gets the job done, but maybe not as effective.....

I personally trying to stick to the husky stuff as it appears to be more sticky, but I dont use as much as you go though in a year!

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Gary_C

I think your answer is in here somewhere.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,15250.0.html

May not, but it only took two years to write so there surely must be an answer in there somewhere.   :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

footer

Quote from: Crawfish on April 13, 2008, 05:19:44 PM

I have used Ace bar oil for years. I dont cut near the amount you do, probably 10 cords a year max, but havent had any problems. I used to use only Stihl oil also, but couldn't justify the cost difference.

Crawfish

Quote from: footer on April 13, 2008, 09:51:28 PM
Quote from: Crawfish on April 13, 2008, 05:19:44 PM

I have used Ace bar oil for years. I dont cut near the amount you do, probably 10 cords a year max, but havent had any problems. I used to use only Stihl oil also, but couldn't justify the cost difference.

Thanks for the response!!

I'm going to try a gallon this week.  It can't hurt to try to save $7 a gallon......

sawmilllawyer

Crawfish, let us know how it works or does'nt. You know the old saying, learn by other people's experiences.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

RSteiner

I have been using the Poulan oil from Wal-Mart for a few years now without any problems.  My son bought me a couple of gallons of Stihl oil for a Christmas gift last year.  I really haven't noticed a big difference between the two. 

At work we use an oil to lubricate the ways of the CNC mills and Lathe.  That oil has very good "tackiness"  when you put some between your thumb and finger then pull then apart the oil strings a couple of inches.  I don't know how it would do once it got warmed up by the saw.

Randy
Randy

snowman

When it comes to saw mix oil I dont pinch pennies, buy the best their is. When it comes to bar oil I use cheapest thing I can find. I used to get dregs from local oil distributor for years, it was bottom of barrel of any and every kind of oil and they would give me 50 gallon drums full at a time to get rid of it. Neve had any problems really, then these guys with oil burning shop heaters started offering to pay them fo it. That free ride was over. :D

footer

The way I see it, at $7.00 a gal difference, you could easily justify replacing your bar and chains more often anyway.

timberfaller390

there is a brand of bar oil available hear in GA. called Gold Band that costs aout three bucks a gallon works fine I;m sure they sell it elsewhere too.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

gus1957

Poulan at our Wal-Mart is back down to $4.80/gal.

TSC was $4.60 with the 10% off coupon - unlimited quantity.

I noticed no differenece cutting with the Stihls or Husky on hardwood firewood or Pine saw logs at about 20-24"

SawTroll

I just use the Husky Veg-Oil - better for everything -one involved, and as a non-pro the cost doesn't bother me..... :)
Information collector.

ENTS

I go thru 1-2 tanks of fuel on my 044 or 460 (which ever I grab going out the door) as well as in the 353 per day.  They all use TSC bar oil.  I have had NO problems with excessive wear on the bars or failure of the oiler to do it's job with this oil.  How is it formulated compared to other bar oils??????  I have no idea, only that it works and it's cost effective.  A long time ago I used old engine oil.  Big mistake since ultimately the oiler would hiccup and fail not to mention, it (old engine oil) didn't do the job it was meant to do.  As far as generic bar oil go, they work.  Different story with 2 stroke oil.

Fred Henry     
over worked, under paid

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

Crawfish

Well, I ran the Ace chain and bar oil all day today.  Everything seems to be working fine.  If there's a difference, I can't tell.  The gallon of Ace oil seems to be as tacky (stringy) as the gallon of Stihl oil I have.  I understand there may be some variation between batches from both company's.  I will contunue to update as the weeks go by, but so far I'm happy to be saving money.

gus1957

Timberfaller390,

What color jug does the Gold Band come in and what store sells it?

Thanks

timberfaller390

Gus its in a white jug black and yellow label with a little picture of a saw on it. mostly just local feed stores I don't know if any of the chain stores carries it. got a jug in the shop I'll see if I can get you an address or something.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

oldsaw

Not a big bar oil nut.  If its slippery and a bit tacky its okay by me.  I've used a lot of different brands, but have been buying Quaker State at Menards for something under $5.  I liked it better at $4 for some reason.  Have a case and a half of Husky oil, and a couple of jugs of Poulan that I use in the Aux oiler on the mill on colder days because it's a bit thinner.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

bandmiller2

Most bar and chain oil is just the cheapest oil stock they can find with a little STP or motor honey added for tackiness.I think it is more critical to thin it in the cold.None of it stays on the chain for long.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!