ALLRIGHT,PAY ATTENTION, AUCTION HERE

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 13, 2008, 03:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

The FIRST FF Auction, featuring a piece of EXOTIC Costa Rican Wood, has just been started. I brought the piece to have someone make a top notch project with.

Get your bids in and pay attention. This piece may be the last, for a long long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270228373939
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 13, 2008, 03:33:28 PM
  Get your bids in and pay attention. This piece may be the last, for a long long time.

Are ya never comin' back or has CR run outta wood  ???  ???  ???
Why not just 1 pain free day?

crtreedude

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 14, 2008, 06:31:30 AM
Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on April 13, 2008, 03:33:28 PM

Are ya never comin' back or has CR run outta wood  ???  ???  ???

In all seriousness, Costa Rica is very short of wood. The current number is 50% of what we need we have to import. They figure that by 2010 (2 more years) it will be down to 25%.

Yes, we are running out of wood.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

isawlogs

I dont understand that ...
If trees grow so fast there .. are the people not planting the trees to produce what is needed for the country or planting only exotic woods for export market , ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Haytrader

isaw,

Are you just full of questions.
First ya wanted to understand the ing lish language, now ya want to know if another foriegn country is running out of wood.

:D :D :D

Since ya mentioned it, how can a tropical country be short on trees?
Did they cut more than they should of?
Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Tropical wood is used for everything. The softer wood is used for concrete forming. Framing wood is for general construction. It is a soft hardwood, similst to Pine, in strength, but lighter weight.
Semi-hardwood, is used for beams, open rafter ceilings, and furniture.
Hard-Hardwood is used for heavy construction.
Then, you have fine hardwood. It is furniture quality for tables, beds, etc.

Too many foreigners buying land and building. Hotels are going up everywhere. Houses are going up everywhere. Lota of young people starting to make their own life, and needing houses. The Boom is large, VERY large, here. If the $$ every gets strong again, there is no end to construction that will take place here.

For many,many years, the trees were cut and only the best cuts were used. You can't begin to imagine how much waste is left in the cut areas. Locals are VERY spoiled, to have excellent quality wood, to be so picky, and allow maybe 30% of a tree to lay in waste.

Softer woods may rot in 20 years or more. HARD wood, will maybe never rot. The Tamarindo and Corteza are never rot woods, Tamarindo being just "that much" less dense than Corteza.

The trees that we planted, will take a few more years to make sawlogs, than Fred's, because we are higher and the trees just don't grow as fast. We expect to start logging within 10 years of planting, for softwoods. Fred can do it in 6-8, possibly.

He's in it for the money and then permanent forest. We are in it for future financial stability, and for our families. Best investment I can possibly imagine.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

I will give you the short answer - Ticos aren't much for long term planning. You have heard the saying "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Well, a Tico would say, one bird in the hand is worth 10+ in the bush. They will almost always go for the short term.

So, no one plants trees. Being a long range kind of guy, I planted trees BEFORE starting our furniture factory. I wanted to ensure supply.

The furniture factor after 3 months is totally maxed out - and so we are expanding it to be 3 times bigger.

And now I am worried that won't be big enough. We just had someone today ask us to start making 200 doors, per month - and that is just to start. Seems that all his old suppliers can't get any wood.

I told you so....

crtreedude

Harold, our Acacia at 4 years is ten inches in diameter - is that big enough for you?  8)

Fla._Deadheader

Not bad, Fred. Ours are growing like weeds.  8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

Thanks for the auction everybody!  Corley, yer crazy man. :D

Tonight, if I can get everything done,  I have about 3 auctions to start from stuff from me. Part of it Forestry collectables  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom