iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader bucket tusks

Started by bandmiller2, April 13, 2008, 07:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa1stuff

Here are my homemade forks ,they seem to work OK! Just have to remove two pins to take them off the machine!

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

shinnlinger

NOrm,

Maybe when you point out that the front tires are on the wrong side(Left to right) they will realize they don't deserve a kubota and give it to you out of shame. 

But nice welding and you do need a loader of some kind ASAP...
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

beenthere

Shinnlinger
I think some run them that way if they want better traction from the fronts when in reverse. Seems a toss-up to me. But I have them for traction forward.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

When I had the forks attached to the bucket and zero visibility ,I mounted a right angle bar on the bucket and one on the frame easy to see from the seat.When those bars were in line the bucket and forks were level.Drop the bucket to the ground tilt the forks slightly foward perfect angle to get under log.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

StorminN

Quote from: DanG on February 17, 2009, 10:06:40 PM
Good job Norm!  Those are some fine looking forks.  I like the way you spread the load out on the bucket.  Those clamp-on forks you can buy look like serious bucket benders to me.

Thanks Dan! When I find some more heavy angle iron, I plan to extend the angle to either end of the bucket... the whole width. I agree about the clamp-on forks.

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 19, 2009, 02:17:33 AM
Maybe when you point out that the front tires are on the wrong side(Left to right) they will realize they don't deserve a kubota and give it to you out of shame. 

But nice welding and you do need a loader of some kind ASAP...

Hey Shinnlinger... yeah, I don't know about the front tires... I assume that's the way they came new from the factory last year... and yes, I'm looking for a loader...

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

sgschwend

I couldn't be happier with my all terrain forklift.  I purchased it military surplus and it is sure footed, lifts plenty of weight and is maneuverable and I can transport it to jobs.  There were 26 of these in one auction.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

StorminN

Quote from: sgschwend on February 19, 2009, 08:10:41 PM
I couldn't be happier with my all terrain forklift.  I purchased it military surplus and it is sure footed, lifts plenty of weight and is maneuverable and I can transport it to jobs.  There were 26 of these in one auction.

sgschwend,

Did you get that at Whidbey NAS? Do you see them come up for auction often, or just that once?

-N.

shinnlinger

sgschwend,

I can see that rig making you happy!  Do you use it as a skidder also????
Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

I found the mast and forks off an old fork lift behind a barn where I shoe horses the other day. The ranch manager said I could have them so I cut the mounting hardware off and just took the forks and their slipe plates now all I have to do is fab some brackets for my quick attach for the tractor and I'll be in bidness.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

ErikC

Keep your eyes open TF390, I have made many a good score when out shoeing horses over the last 15 years. ;) One man's junk is another man's treasure ;D

ps And no one has more junk than a rancher
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

sgschwend

The forklift did not come from NAS Whidbey, it came from Georgia.  There is a large base there and they sent them to auction.  I have seen other up for auction at other times.  I have learned that you can purchase other similar lifts, but they tend to be difficult to maneuver an the weight needs to be low enough so that the lift can be moved to jobs.

It is a Model 8606, built by Entwistle (in MA) for the Marine Corps

I think the lowest price was about $2500, I paid $5000 (a story in itself), took less than $1000 to get it ready.

I could use it for skidding but the fastest way is to just pick up the logs and carry them.

I used a web site, http://www.govliquidation.com/

I have also found them on the GSA auction site:  http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sgschwend

I just checked, there doesn't seem to be a lot of auctions going on.   

I have a customer coming this weekend and he is bringing several 30-36" (large end) 25' long DF logs for me to cut for him, the customer wants 24' long semi trailer deck boards. 

The forklift will have no problem with these.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

StorminN

Sounds like some nice logs, sgschwend... you're going to post pics, right?

-N.

sgschwend

Here are some pics.  The first is the truck with the 24' logs

Second picture the log carried by the forklift setup for the limb stubs to be trimmed off.

The third pic is the 24' long log on the Mighty Mite Sawmill.  The black but shows trapped iron.  I am taking a heavy waste cut the customer needs all square sides.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

backwoods sawyer

Those Doug fir are not light logs you are handling there. That off road forklift seems to do a good job of handling them.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

shinnlinger

Sgschwend,

THat is a sweet machine, but it doesn't sound like it was given to you either.  I think a tractor might be a better all around for a small time operator.

And on that note, TImberfaller.  How big is your tractor?  Real forklift arms are nice, but they weigh so much they would significantly reduce the lift capacity of my 34 horse machine.  If you scored the mast as well, I would consider a 3pt mounted unit.  If your tractors hydraulics aren't up to the task, perhaps a PTO powered  unit complete with Bogey wheels to take the weight might be a sweet unit with some real capacity.
Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

my tractor is a 50 horse. i didn't get the mast but could have. it was already rigged for 3 pt but it turned over an 80 horse tractor, thats why it was in the junk pile.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

shinnlinger

Did it have wheels on it????  I would think a truck axle would really stabilize things back there, but if your tractor is 50 horse you will probably do alright.
Shinnlinger

timberfaller390

No wheels. It rolled the tractor over backwards like what happens when your skidding with a small tractor and the log hangs. They were stacking round bales with it and got one too high. For what I cut they should be fine on the loader and I don't think they weigh any more than a set of Deere forks made to fit my tractor.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

bandmiller2

Shinnlinger,real forklift forks come in many sizes,some would be perfect for your tractor.A couple of years ago bought a pair of 3' forks at the Doublin NH. show for 50.00.Best thing is their own dedicated mast to fit the loader bucket,and the ability to slide the forks,wide for logs narrow for pallets.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

I looked in my album for a shot of my forks, but I cant seem to navigate away from the first page and I am not even sure if I ever posted them here so who knows....

I got my forks in Canaan NH for free, the were in my scrap pile in some other form, but an hour or so later I made a set that have been invaluable to me.  THey are modeled after a 3 pt hitch carry all frame, in fact thats how they started life, my father came over and chained a carry all into my bucket.  I thought he was crazy at first, but they were handy, so I welded some "QA" tabs into my bucket and used the carry all untill my father pretzeled it digging a rock or something....went out to the scrap pile and made me a super duty carry all that has held up really well...even to my fathers abuse.

Timber faller,

To be clear, I think your using the forks on the bucket/loader will be far more convenient than a any 3pt thing.  Good score!!!

Shinnlinger

StorminN

shinnlinger,

are you talking about the same forks that are on the first page of this thread, reply #2??

-N.

shinnlinger

Norm,

It appears you are correct.  I am talking in circles...at least I wasn't crazy (at least in this case) for thinking I had posted the forks up here at one time...even if it was only last month....
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!