iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loader bucket tusks

Started by bandmiller2, April 13, 2008, 07:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

For years before I got forks for my old JD60 I used the 5' bucket with tusks.Simply two pieces of heavy angleiron bolted to the corners of the bucket.I tapered the tips and cut a half moon to kinda cradle the logs.Not the best but it worked good ,logs in a pile you could hump them, loose logs you had to roll them on it with a peavy.To use the bucket for bulk materials they came off quick.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

DanG

I did something very similar with mine, Frank.  I made my first ones from some scarifier teeth from an old boxblade.  They worked, but were too short, so I made some longer ones from 2" heavy wall tubing.  I made the sockets from some short pieces of 2½" tubing.

They are held in by the little pin hanging on a chain, and the "nubs" on the fork keep the pressure off the pin.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shinnlinger

Here is what I came up with.

My idea started life as a 3 pt "carryall" that I made stay in the bucket by welding some angle at the top of the bucket and making a hole that went through both the angle and the carryall.  two pins, up and out of the goo are all it takes to remove or install.  To prevent too much strain in the cutting edge, I welded some angle iron in the bottom to lock the base when it is pined.

My father promptly pretzeled the original carry all, so out to the scrap pile I went and made this to replace it.

THe have worked great as virtually everytimber in my house has kissed them at least three times from the woods to the mill to the house.

WHat I like best about these, beside the easy on/off, is the upright portion of the unit extends above the bucket and prevents logs from rolling over the top when the FEL is raised and crushing the operator (Me)
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

snowman

I bought some of those Paynes clampons. What I like is they go off and on in a minute. I did however rip corners out of my bucket prying frozen logs out of the deck. A good welder fixed that, reinforced corners and added steel plates where the forks clamp on. No problems since.

tcsmpsi

I, too, needed something I could take on and off fairly easily, and yet be substantial and purposeful.

This is what I came up with:

These are brackets on each side of the bucket welded on to the bucket, with bolt holes.

It does take removing or applying 4 bolts, but that's pretty minimal output of time and energy.  I built this unit to slide into the brackets.

The forks themselves are two pieces of 1/4" angle welded together to create just a slight upsweep.

The center is reinforced and braced for attaching chain, etc. when/if necessary.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

SeeSaw

TCMPSI,

I like your unique idea.  I'm not sure those would stand up to some of my abuse in moving heavy oak logs around.  However it's neat that you can still use the bucket with the forks on.  I have the style that are removed and re-installed with a solid bar that fits into a half round bracket that welds onto the FEL.  It's quick and simple on and off and they are made of thick heavy steel and will take a lot abuse.  They are a bit pricey though and I'm sure your soultion was priced right.  I will try to get a picture if I can. 
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

tcsmpsi

The forks that I built for my previous tractor, replaced the bucket as a unit.  They were a lot heavier duty, but you couldn't pick them up and move them around without help of some sort.   :D

These have held up to all the tractor can dish out.  I use the forks for bustin roots, too.  I don't take the forks off unless I'm going to do much dirt work.  I needed the bucket open for hauling firewood, toting around chains, comealongs, fence wire, etc.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

shinnlinger

OLd moldboard plow frames make great "fork" material.  NOt as Heavy as forklift forks so they dont diminish your lifting ability, but able to take the punishment.

To toot my own horn, mine can be used on pallets and having the forks closer together is nice when trying to get under a log on rough ground.   I dont think it effects stability as I have had 25ft+ logs in the bucket.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SeeSaw

Well I found the pictures but I can't figure out how to get them in here??  Maybe when I have more time to fiddle with it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

limbrat

I need to learn to post pictures also. I slung mine under the bucket and made them from heavy gague 2.5" pipe 3x3x.25 angle and 3" ratchet tie downs all salvaged from the side of the road and the dump. I cut a piece of 3" angle to fit across the full lip of the bucket. spaced the pipe forks at 30" and centered them on the bucket i let the tails run back the length of the bucket and tied them together with another piece of steel. Put a bolt through the end of the pipe and hooked the tie down strap into it. Ran the strap over the top of the bucket and hooked it into a eye welded were the angle and pipe fork tie together in the front.
Taking it on and off dont require tools just break the ratchet loose or tighten it up. The weight is spread across the face of the bucket a little and the weight is always between the lifting arms of the fel and never on one end of the bucket or the other.
ben

thecfarm

Go to the top of the page and click on to the "help" button. Pcture help is there. There looks like a lot to it,but if you are sending pictures to someone else they should be down sized first anyways.Follow directions and get back to us.Someone will help you if you get stuck.Most times it's right there in front of you.Reason for the albums the pictures will always be here for others to enjoy.looking forward to the pictures.   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

Heavy truck leaf springs also makes a good material for makedo forks.Bolt holes can be cut with a torch,or slipped into a holder and retained with a pin in the centerbolt hole,easy on easy off. Frank C.

Haytrader

I purchased these two attachments recently for my tractor. Both are very usefull. I had some major tree trimming done and the grapple works like a charm in cleaning up. It is perfect for loading logs on the mill.
Haytrader

SeeSaw

Well I went through that whole tutorial today and it took quite a bit to get through it.  Don't quite get that picture re-sizing.  It did not work as easy as the instructions made it sound. Needles to say it failed when I tried to upload the photo.  Did not realize that it was that involved?? Don't expect any pictures from me soon.  Got a ways to go it appears.

limbrat

Quote from: limbrat on April 18, 2008, 01:56:07 PM
I need to learn to post pictures also. I slung mine under the bucket and made them from heavy gague 2.5" pipe 3x3x.25 angle and 3" ratchet tie downs all salvaged from the side of the road and the dump. I cut a piece of 3" angle to fit across the full lip of the bucket. spaced the pipe forks at 30" and centered them on the bucket i let the tails run back the length of the bucket and tied them together with another piece of steel. Put a bolt through the end of the pipe and hooked the tie down strap into it. Ran the strap over the top of the bucket and hooked it into a eye welded were the angle and pipe fork tie together in the front.
Taking it on and off dont require tools just break the ratchet loose or tighten it up. The weight is spread across the face of the bucket a little and the weight is always between the lifting arms of the fel and never on one end of the bucket or the other.

Figured out how to post them photos. I have been trying to tear these forks up for two yrs. They can take more than the fel can lift.
ben

Woodchuck53

Morning Limbrat, just a thought. We welded a pc. of pipe under the lip of all our buckets after rolling one down and out of shape. The hyd. turned out to be tougher than the bucket steel. Where are you from exactly in central La. I live in Kolin the community down hwy. 107. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

limbrat

Im off highway 8 between Bently and Colfax. A speck called Oak Grove
ben

Woodchuck53

Nice area, haven't been up in there for a while. Didn't know there was a mill around there other than the cypress mill in Bently. Maybe we can catch up some time. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

limbrat

Naw im a hobbist. You must not have got my p.m. i will send you another.
ben

StorminN

Some friends of mine dropped off their Kubota at my place last week with the stipulation that I could use it as much as I wanted while it was there... nice friends! Well, I tried moving logs with the bucket and a chain, and it was slower than using my big excavator... I knew I needed forks and then I remembered this thread, so I went home and found the thread and read the posts, and then went out to my scrap pile to see what I had that would work...

Since it's not my tractor, I needed to make a set of forks that attached without welding to or making holes in their bucket. Friday, I got the welder out and ended up with a pair very similar to limbrat's, but used 4" channel iron for forks instead of tubing. I made the forks 27" on center and they extend 43" out from the bucket. I would've liked to have used a piece of angle iron that was the entire width of the bucket lip, but I didn't have one in my scrap pile. I might weld some pieces on there later.

I'm a novice welder, so I was a little leery of my welds... I tried the forks out on small stuff first... light slab wood and such. The next day, one of the owners of the tractor came up and milled some cedar with me, and he went for it, full bore... the second log he picked up was a cedar butt log that max'ed out the hydraulics on the loader... he was bucking the tractor back and forth to get the loader to lift the log (yes, they are hard on their equipment) the forks held up fine, so that made me feel better!

I knew that equipment with forks is indispensable around a mill, but this is the first time I've been able to use one... holy cow, I don't know how I've done without! Sure makes quick work of slab wood, milled lumber, everything! It's going to be really hard giving it back!

-Norm.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

eamassey

I see lots of makeshift forks-on-bucket arrangements.  While I have done some of that in the distant past, let me tell you about how nice a "quick-attach" loader with real fork truck forks on a frame made up just for it. 

Both of my tractors have "euro" style quick attach loaders.  I have two buckets, a hay spear, and fork truck forks. I can have any of these on either tractor in about one minute. 

Look for used (real) fork truck forks.  The set I have been using are virtually indestructable 54" forks.   I recently bought a set of like-new 42" forks for only $100. 

You get better visability and power with a set of forks on its own frame-  rather than as a bucket attachment.

StorminN

Quote from: eamassey on February 17, 2009, 09:49:27 PM
I see lots of makeshift forks-on-bucket arrangements.  While I have done some of that in the distant past, let me tell you about how nice a "quick-attach" loader with real fork truck forks on a frame made up just for it. 

Both of my tractors have "euro" style quick attach loaders.  I have two buckets, a hay spear, and fork truck forks. I can have any of these on either tractor in about one minute. 

Look for used (real) fork truck forks.  The set I have been using are virtually indestructable 54" forks.   I recently bought a set of like-new 42" forks for only $100. 

You get better visability and power with a set of forks on its own frame-  rather than as a bucket attachment.

I agree this is the best setup, but in my case I'm using a borrowed tractor, so I didn't have much choice... when I get my own rig, I hope to have a quick-attach setup...

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

DanG

Good job Norm!  Those are some fine looking forks.  I like the way you spread the load out on the bucket.  Those clamp-on forks you can buy look like serious bucket benders to me.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ErikC

Mud and snow in the yard, looks like mine right now. Slick job on the forks. I like it.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

bandmiller2

Their is little handier around a mill than a good set of forks on a machine where you can see the ends of the forks.My current setup is a JD 60 with a JD 45w loader modified skeliton frame with two real forklift forks adjustable.Big advantage I can see the ends of the forks from the seat.Good reach and the unit will pick up a little [quite a little]over a ton,relief valve set so the rear wheel won't come off the ground.If Johnny won't handle it Frankie doesn't want to handle it  ether.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!