iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CS mills for 2 siding

Started by arojay, April 12, 2008, 11:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arojay

I'm thinking about a future project to build a 2-side log structure.  I'm a logger so I have access to logs but I don't have a mill.  I expect to have logs from 20 to 40 feet.  A used Woodbug is for sale  locally with 60 feet of carriage, that made me think of them.  I don't expect to mill for others, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  I have looked at Alaskan, Logosol and Woodbug rigs, but I'd like to hear opinions from builders and others with chainsaw mill experience.   
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

arojay

I posted this question to timberframers and log builders as well.  I'm thinking of a 2 sided log project and am interested in opinions on chainsaw mills.  Alaskan, Logosol and Woodbug are my most likely options.  Lets hear some pros and cons.

zopi

I have an Alaskan III...and Stihl MS 660...works well, but work and time are the big factors..they are very labor intensive...

ok..i'm spoiled...WM has made me lazy. lol

If you go this route get the biggest chainsaw you can...milling is tough on saws.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Amen to Zopi's comments.

The advantage of the Alaskan and similar systems is that your length of cut
is unlimited.   As many times before on the FF, I will recommend Will Malloff's
book published by Taunton:  Chainsaw Lumber Making.

Two sided long logs with an Alaskan are very easy.  You just make two cuts
at two differing depths.  When you have made the top of the log flat (using
a guide system which can be a ladder, or rails, or a plank), you just drop down
the dimension desired and cut again, inserting kerf wedges as you move along.

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Peterrum

I plan on using my Alaskan for doing 3 sided and probably the longest logs I will cut are 24'.  I also am thinking of building like you and mine will be a 24x12 structure.

arojay

I just like the look of 2 sided construction.  The woodbugs look look less setup but I have no experience with them. I sold logs to a guy with alaskan and have seen them at work a little bit.  What species of logs, Peterrum?

Peterrum

More than likely larch as there is plenty of that on my property.  Alot of the older log buildings in my area are made from larch and they have stood the test of time. I would tend to think that the larch will last longer than the years i have left.  I am just in the formative stages for this project though and i have about 5 other large projects to do and this is more a nice to have right now rather than a need to have.  Since time is not an issue for me i have no trouble thinking of using the Alaskan.

Thank You Sponsors!