iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small tractor w/FEL

Started by John S, April 12, 2008, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Well, I use a small tractor with FEL around the mill.  Sometimes, I get a log a bit too large to lift and place on the mill, and then I use the tractor to roll the log up the ramps, using the forks on the FEL.   Works pretty well.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Larry

One way to use tongs is to hang them so they hang flat from the forks.  I use tongs a lot to pull logs off a trailer with sides or out the back of a pickup.  They also work to pick a log out of the middle of a pile from the end.  I can pick up a log, drag it out, and release it without ever leaving the seat of the tractor, with the tongs hung in this manner.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

srt

There's no doubt about it - a tractor would be a real help around the mill.  Unfortunately, my tractors are at our farm, and my mill is here with me.  100 miles separates us.  OK enough whining.  Here's my 2 cents worth.

If money is an issue, and you want some real iron that won't tip over with a bucket load of stones, I'd recommend good old 1950-70 american iron.  My Moline 670 Super cost me 3500, with a FEL.  It has about 65 Horses, and is real iron.  No, it ain't easy on fuel, and no it ain't nimble.  However, it can pick up and move, or drag anything I have any business moving.

I have a friend with a 27 or so horse Kubota with a FEL.  That little tractor is just the nicest, handiest, best running thing to come down the pike.  However, it's not the thing I'd want to move logs that could easily weigh more than a couple thousand pounds.  Maybe your logs don't run that big though. 

That's about all I can add.

zopi

SRT is right on...I have a '55 oliver super 55 and a '49 Farmall C...either of which will pull just about any log I can saw...no problem..old iron rocks. I am however looking to add a compact utility tractor with a loader and backhoe for dirtwork and mowing...there are so many things one of the little buggers could save me time and energy doing...I finished pulling the foundation of a little stable I have been tearing up, out today, would've taken a couple hours with a little TLB...took a couple days busting it by hand, then picking up the chunks and hauling them out of the way...

On the bright side, I laid out the batter boards for my millshed and began sawing the timbers out..16' 6x6 ain't light.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

james04

Hi John,

If you would like to have the benefit of a real TLB without the size and expense you may want to consider an Allmand TLB. This is not a Teramite. It is much heavier and made for contractors not just rental yards. Check out there 4 wd diesel here. I have a 25hp gas version and it will lift 2000 lbs with no problem. The only problem I have is getting traction on rough terrain when carry 2k. As the bouncing of the load makes the back end too light. Counter weights or loaded tires would solve this. I have used a couple of large stones in the back hoe bucket to do this. By the way the back hoe is a beast. The power of this machine  for its size is remarkable. If you are interested in a used one call Andy Klien and he will locate one in your area. You could get a gasser for around 10k and a Diesel for around 15k.

http://www.allmand.com/TLB%206235%20page.htm

Edit: I forgot. I have the skid steer type quick attach on the front end so I can use any skid steer attachments. I only have the bucket and forks but there are many attachments on ebay and such.

James

Engineer

Ideally I'd like to have a 5-ton class mini excavator with a thumb and root rake, but that's just me.  I have a JD 4100, which is almost too small for what I use it for.  I have forks for the FEL and I can only pick up about 700#.  A green, white pine log, 12' by 12" dia. is about its' upper limit, and that's not carrying it around, just picking it up and setting it on the mill.

What I'd like to get is a JD 110 TLB, which is mid-40's horsepower, designed as a FEL and backhoe, and can take any high-flow skidsteer attachment.  Unfortunately, even a used one is big $$.  Kubota makes a couple similar machines but I can't remeber model numbers.  I am partial to JD only because I have a really good local dealer who treats me right.

Ironwood

Engineer,

I have a buddy who has a 110 w/ a loader that he uses around his LT15. It doesn't have a three point. WOW will that little thing lift :o :o. I will say parts are expensive, his main hydraulic pump cost $1000 to get fixed (new unit)  :o :o Nice machine for it's small size.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

roger 4400

Hi ! I have an old Oliver 42hp and do some logging but my next buy will be a Kubota L4400 HST, 43 hp, 4WD, loaded tires, a pto Farmi winch to haul logs to your trails, a quick attach set of forks on the loader ( quick attach loader) that can lift +- 2400 pds. To carry the logs to the *parking site*, I,ll use a carry axel.   Good luck                                Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

John S

Thanks for the responses.  The two brands that are availble in my area are Kioti and Farmtrac.  I am leaning towards the Farmtrac 39hp diesel with fel and backhoe.  The dealer is local and one of the few successful farms still operating here in Sussex County, NJ.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

Don't discount that Kioti.  They are some strong and well built tractors.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

ScottAR

FYI,  Farmtrac is in receivership...   Could affect parts supply down the
road. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Ironwood

My dad has an early Kioti, I think they improved over the years. I rented a twin to my dad's (he is 2 hours away) to work on a nieghbors septic and I broke the hoe's main pivot pin, IT WAS CAST IRON :o :o , why not steel I have no idea. Admittedly I was pivoting the back of the machine to the side balancing on the hoe (a typical move on a hoe) when it snapped, but they had no business making that critical part from cast. I think they ARE pretty good, my dad has used the heck out of his. 24HP I think, I dod know the clutch costs $350 to replace ;D I had hopped off a skidsteer and on to his tractor, and , well......you can't expect a tractor to move dirt like a skidsteer ::)

Scott S. (here on the FF) has a bigger Kioti, and I think he REALLY likes it.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

John S

Scottar
I am concerned about your info on Farmtrac being in receivership.  How can I find out more about that?
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

John S

ScottRA,
I googled it and found an article about the Farmtrac problems.  Thanks for the heads-up.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

shinnlinger

JOhn,

For more on farmtrack.....
http://www.nettractortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12613#post12613

It looks like MOntana will be coverning parts and warranties on the compacts and Duetz fahr parts on the 700 series, so if you can buy a farmtrac for CHEAP and you are handy with a wrench it may be worth it.

I Have 3 neighbors with Kiotis ranging from 20-65horse with a 35 in the middle.  All have told me on seperate occasions "next time I'm getting a Kubota"   I dont think they have a specific beef, but just overall sentiment,  but you may want to research that some more  before you throw alot of bling at one. 

For the record I have another neigbor with the civilian version of the JD110 (5320?) and he has had alot of problems with it.  HIs JD just prior was a good machine though.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ScottAR

Been at work...   Pesky job...

Since a good tractor will last 20 years or more a dependable parts supply is critical.

Ask someone with a daewoo car how easy they are to work on now.  Although in a
stroke of irony, some the baby chevys are now daewoos.  I don't think much
interchanges though. 

Anywho,  The newer economy JD's are worth a look.  Anything with an 03 or 05 at
the end of the model #.   Mostly older designs with solid hardware and few frills. 
Simple is good methinks.  Decent prices in my area at least.

The 110 is it's own animal.  It doesn't have a green brother.

5320 is a utility series.  Current models would be a 5X25 series.

Do not be afraid of used.  Wasn't for used stuff I wouldn't have hardly anything at all.   ;)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!