iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small tractor w/FEL

Started by John S, April 12, 2008, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I have looked at some small tractors (25-39hp diesels) at two local dealers.  The FEL are rated at 1350 - 2400 lbs.  Are these suitable for adding forks and moving logs?  This is for personal use.  I am retired and do woodworking and want a machine to handle logs and do work on my property.  Thanks for any input.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

beenthere

Might be, if the logs are under that weight and if you have enough weight in the shorts.

Which 'small tractors' are you referring to??
And where is the FEL rated in reference to the forks??

I've a 33 hp Deere  (could be bigger... :) :) )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Take note of the weight box on the back. ;) Are the tires loaded as well, beenthere?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

I've looked at the same stuff...If I had the $$ i'd be going this route..you definetly want some weight in the back....can be as simple as a toolbar and cast concrete...

I tend to manage pretty well with simply skidding logs with a tractor...I would likely not load logs on the mill with forks as it is pretty hazardous to the mill..it would be nice to be able to place and stack as I want to...

If you click over to the forum extras, there is a log weight calculator, you can calculate the rough weight of the logs you deal with most and come up with a working answer...i'd recommend not pushing the envelope of the weight limits tho'...they are put up by manufacturer, and no one EVER exaggerates numbers...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

beenthere

The tires have windshield washer fluid in them, and the Deere ballast box on the 3pt.
Even then, the FEL will lift more than the rear weight will hold down. Need to be careful, especially turning.

Green pallets of split oak firewood usually max out the counter weight and need to be handled very carefully,

Here is a dry pallet.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

I drop the ballast box and throw logging tongs on the hook to bring in logs. With FEL (or snow blade), no problem counterbalancing the 3pt load...just be cautious and go slow.

south central Wisconsin

thecfarm

I would go with 39hp tractor if you can,money wise.I have a 42hp 4wd and it will do alot more than the 25hp you are looking at.Yes,I know what some will say about a smaller tractor,but when picking up just about the limit and the front wheel goes into a 6 inch hole,things happen very quickly.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

oh...and as with sawmill engines, and boat motors, get the biggest you can afford...<G>

hmmm...a backhoe ought to make nice counterweight..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

D._Frederick

The problem with these small tractors and a loader is that the front axle were not designed to handle this much wieght and will fail costing big $$ to get rebuilt. When the tractor is in 4 wd with a heavy load, the front wheel do all the pulling. The gearing in the front end will fail under this kind of load.

Ask me how I know!!

Larry

D, not if it is built Ford tough. ;D ;D ;D

I'm guessing BT's first pic is maybe close to max weight for his tractor?  It would probably be over max weight for my 27 hp 1720 Ford.

I use the FEL equipped with forks continually around my mill.  Loading and unloading logs from a trailer, loading logs on the mill, hauling slabs off, and moving stacks of lumber.  I have forks for the 3-point to handle the occasional 30" log.  In this case bigger is better up to maybe 50 hp.  I had a 100 hp JD 4020...while it had plenty of power it was way to slow and awkward around the mill and yard.

Get a FEL where you can drop the bucket and put on forks.  I think the forks that attach to the bucket are a might dangerous and limit the amount you can pick up.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dave Shepard

If a tractor is offered with an FEL it should take the weight of the loader. zopi, yes, the backhoe does make a nice counterweight. With the hoe on and the tires loaded, I don't have the rear tires off the ground too often. This UD-14A must weigh about 3500 pounds. I highly recommend tire ballast, wheelweights, or a ballast box for any FEL tractor, they just don't seem to have enough weight to match lifting capacity.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

cuttingman423

does anybody  use a grapple set-up on there tractors for moving logs around ? are they better then forks or not?

zopi

Quote from: cuttingman423 on April 12, 2008, 07:55:40 PM
does anybody  use a grapple set-up on there tractors for moving logs around ? are they better then forks or not?
I use a chain choker...bloody grapple is a pain...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cuttingman423

QuoteI use a chain choker...bloody grapple is a pain...

a pain to use or a pain to put on and take off  the front bucket    i guess the product DVD's always make it look easier than it is which i guess is just a gimmick to sell the product  conditions alway seem to be just right too   ;D  they never show reality do they

thecfarm

I know what you mean.They can make anything look good on TV.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

Quote from: cuttingman423 on April 12, 2008, 08:11:18 PM
QuoteI use a chain choker...bloody grapple is a pain...

a pain to use or a pain to put on and take off  the front bucket    i guess the product DVD's always make it look easier than it is which i guess is just a gimmick to sell the product  conditions alway seem to be just right too   ;D  they never show reality do they

it's 8' of hi vis chain with a chain hook on one end and a big steel ring on the other, roll the chain back on itself and lay it over the log, roll the log into the loop and drive off...

jeez, but I wish I had a FEL..I'd a got twice as much done today.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cuttingman423

sorry for the confusion i was referring to the grapple being a pain   i've been looking at them for skidsteer loaders since logs i handle are no longer then 6 foot hoping to talk ny business partner into buying a skidsteer and the grapple set-up for the bucket.

Dave Shepard

I've used a couple of different kinds of grapples. My favorite was made by Bobcat. It was a manure grapple for what we call "pen manure", or hard packed with a lot of straw for bedding. It consisted of 7 pointed 2" diameter rods for the forks, with two hydraulic top clamps like a standard brush grapple. I recently used a small tiny brush or "root rake" style grapple to move slabs, and I found the opening wasn't big enough, but it got the job done. I like having a top clamp for logs, they really slide around on forks.

Dave

zopi

Quote from: cuttingman423 on April 12, 2008, 08:28:54 PM
sorry for the confusion i was referring to the grapple being a pain   i've been looking at them for skidsteer loaders since logs i handle are no longer then 6 foot hoping to talk ny business partner into buying a skidsteer and the grapple set-up for the bucket.
ah...and I was actually thinking of tongs...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ironwood

The other nice thing about a backhoe bucket on the rear is it can be swung extreme left or right depending on the slope you are working to balance the tractor.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

Hi,

Are you purchasing this tractor primarily for sawmill use?  I might suggest a used comercial backhoe .  The hoe, if it doesnt have one already, can be outfited with a thumb, and that is way handy for TONS of stuff you havent even imagined, including loading logs.  THe FEL is also way more heavy duty than almost any log your going to want to manhandle onto a personal mill, and the best part is it will probably be significantly less than if you bought a new CUT that is only half the size.

THat said, I have a 34 hourse Kubota W/homemade forks and conterweight/skidder and it has done me VERY well.  Being able to brush hog is nice also,

PS I have come to aprecaite this sites photo dealie.

PSS

Zopi, I use my forks to load my mill all the time, I drop them on a deck perpendicular to the mill and then it is a relatively simply peavy affair after that to roll the log on the mill.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

zopi

Quote from: shinnlinger on April 12, 2008, 10:24:42 PM

Zopi, I use my forks to load my mill all the time, I drop them on a deck perpendicular to the mill and then it is a relatively simply peavy affair after that to roll the log on the mill.

oh..guess I could have said that better...i wouldn't load directly onto the mill frame...too easy to bend stuff..dead deck is the way to go.

i'm planning one soon.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

cuttingman423

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 12, 2008, 08:51:56 PM
I've used a couple of different kinds of grapples. My favorite was made by Bobcat. It was a manure grapple for what we call "pen manure", or hard packed with a lot of straw for bedding. It consisted of 7 pointed 2" diameter rods for the forks, with two hydraulic top clamps like a standard brush grapple. I recently used a small tiny brush or "root rake" style grapple to move slabs, and I found the opening wasn't big enough, but it got the job done. I like having a top clamp for logs, they really slide around on forks.

Dave

i had Bobcat send me info and a dvd  and after viewing the info i think ill go for a struckcrawler as i'm amazed at the amount of work and size of jobs ans such people used it for  
and heres there grapple brush bucket                             http://www.struckcorp.com/images/DB480.gif
http://www.struckcorp.com/images/Grapple_Up.gif   plus i'm still trying to figure out how they can sell their equipment for such a decent price compared to Bobcat and other skid steers.
Hey Dave what model Bobcat did you use with the grapple

bandmiller2

John,you want a loader that will at least pick up a ton.forks mounted on their own boom[not on bucket]are the handiest.Advice about a used larger machine is sound.If you can afford one of those overpriced small tractors you could even find an articulated loader or loader backhoe that is four times the machine.Have your log yard and aproach to the dead deck level as possible,keep the load just off the ground.A three point counterweight is good if you want to be safer adjust the loader hyd. relief valve to bypass just before the rear wheels lift.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Reddog

Here is a link to the Bio-Mizer thread. You can see the skid steer quick attach on my FEL. I like it alot. Quick to switch from a High volume bucket to forks or to a dirt bucket.
I like the forks to hook as close to the loader as possible. You get a lot more lift capacity.
When looking at the lift capacity look at the rating for both the bucket edge and pivot pin. That will give you and idea of what the little distance changes the rating. Be careful not to get caught on the breakout force. That only applies to digging. And yes in order to get all the lift capacity you will need a counter weight on the back.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29338.140.html

Thank You Sponsors!