iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red oak beams

Started by Berkshire, April 12, 2008, 09:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkshire

I was looking at a timber framed house the other day where the frame was made out of red oak. The issue with the house is two of the beams have checked causing a split which is about 1 inch down from the top of the beam. The joist are flush with the top of the beam. The problem is the 3/4" T&G pine flooring on the second level is buckled up about 3/4" to 1" where the beam below has checked. The pine flooring is run parallel to the beam. What I don't understand is the house is 10 years old and these checks opened up this past winter when the house was unheated. I guessing the oak was installed green or slightly air dried but I don't know for sure. One beam is 16' and the other is 18', and these is a full basement under the house.

(1) Is there any fix for this or does it require new beams to be installed?
(2) If new beams are required, with the info given what would be a rough cost to have these replaced? I can supply the materials.

witterbound

Very interesting that it took so long, and then happened after an unheated winter.  Isn't wood amazing?

I'd bet there is a really good chance the checking does not affect the structural integrety of the timbers.  Jim actually took a road trip, one time, to check on a similar situation for someone.  What about taking up the T&G and planing down the top of the timber a little, and planing down the bottom of the T&G a little bit more?

beenthere

How about a pic or two....we like pics, and it would help assess the situation.   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Berkshire

I think your option of hand planing down the bottom of the floor and the top of the beam will be the cheapest and easiest way to fix it. The picture shows the split before it really opened up. I wish I was able to get a more recent picture but I can't at this point. Here is a link to a photo prior to the split opening up. Not sure if this link will work...

homebin.com/admin//theme/homebin/warehouse/homes//70/717/765_7.jpg

ACTIVE LINKS TO OFF SITE PICTURES ARE NOT ALLOWED.
Please place your pictures in our gallery and then post a link to them here. Thanks.

beenthere

The pic link won't work for long, because it needs to be in your gallery.   :) :)

As the floor will continue to move with the split changing over the years, I think I'd consider just planing (maybe this is where the hand scraper thread for flooring came from) or sanding the surface of the floor from above. Much better, I'd think, than removing flooring (that sounds like a real headache).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Did the temps in the house get below freezing?  Maybe residual moisture in the beam froze and expanded causing the split?  I'd be a bit surprised if that is the case.  Did the split occur while it was still freezing temps in there, or did it occur when you rewarmed the house?  That sounds more likely IMO.  Residual stress in the beam was relieved.  Doesn't sound like something fun to fix.  If you have to remove the T&G, if it's a finished floor, think about a creative way to hide the repair.  For example, if the boards cannot be removed cause the end s are buried by the walls, If you cut along tops of beams maybe you can inlay a pattern-different colored wood etc..... something to hide the repair and look intentional.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

alpmeadow

Hi
The character of wood expresses itself, and a little trip on the floor reminds us.  If I read the problem right, the T&G is running parallel to the beam, means there are joists on the beam to support the flooring.  The beam top, or bottom of the joists, if accessible, is only 1.5 to 2 inches wide where the beam has lifted the joists.  Hence chiselling out the beam top or bottom of the joist just at each joist, to bring it back to level, is not too much work.   Probably only one or two joists are affected.
If I am not right, further explanation of the beam, joist, and flooring buildup is required?
Good Luck
alpmeadow
Tallis Creek Woodlot, LT40G28,KubotaMX5000

Thank You Sponsors!