iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Univent Saw?

Started by zackman1801, April 11, 2008, 09:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman1801

So i was looking around baileys online tonight and i saw somethign rather strange.
I was looking under the chain saw manufacturers and found a company called Univent. it says that they specialize in saws that are designed for ventilation of building for emergency crews, but are now offering saws to the professional woodcutting market...the strange thing is they look exactly like Husqvarna saws! is there something im missing here does husky make these saws for them, or are they just outright copying their design?
And does anyone know how well they preform?
here are some links for picture comparison

husky
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=HU+375W&catID=43

Univent
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=UF+375W&catID=566
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

oldsaw

They are "non-Husky" Huskies.  Sold through a different distribution channel.  Bailey's can sell these on line.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

zackman1801

well its the same price as a husky...so i dont know why you wouldent just get a tried and true saw. but whats the deal. why do they come under a different name? are they maufactured by husqvarna or some other company, and then made up to look like one? or are they just coincidentally look alikes?
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Crawfish

The saw is made by Husqvarna.  It's a 372xp with a different name.  The only reason Baileys is carrying the saw is it can be sold online.  Husky doesn't allow online sales any longer. 

If you have a local Husky dealer, it may be better for you to buy the saw locally but everyone doesn't have a Husky dealer within driving distance.

It's not a bad price.  The saw comes full wrap and duel dogs.

zackman1801

i dont need a new saw i just bought a husky 365 a few months ago but i was just wondering what was up with it, since it looked almost exactly the same.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller610

Jonhsored does the same thing. The Fire Dept. I work for buys Cutters Edge Ventalation saws which are Johnsored saw with Cutters edge stickers on it. There just rtying to appeal to the Fire Dept. market. These "Off Brand"  saws offer depth guages and neat little add ons that you couldn't buy on Huskey's and Jonny's.

zackman1801

depth gauges like the ones on the chain, also called rakers?
or depth gauges that tell you how far your cutting into the wood?
Husky 365sp 20" bar

lmbeachy

They are Huskies with depth control units mounted on the blade so that you can control the depth of the cut into a roof or wall. They are used for ventilation purposes. You have to look close to find the Husky brand on them, they usually carry very prominently they name of the company that modified them, even though the modification is insignificant.
hotfoot

timberfaller390

Quote from: timberfaller610 on April 15, 2008, 01:16:02 PM
Jonhsored does the same thing. The Fire Dept. I work for buys Cutters Edge Ventalation saws which are Johnsored saw with Cutters edge stickers on it. There just rtying to appeal to the Fire Dept. market. These "Off Brand"  saws offer depth guages and neat little add ons that you couldn't buy on Huskey's and Jonny's.
I work for the same department as timberfaller610 thats why our screen names are almost the same. He means a depth gauge that tells you how far you are cutting into the wood. For structural firefighting purposes we use these saws to cut ventilation holes in the roof of a burning structure and use only the first 3 or 4 inches of the bar. The depth gauge can be slid forward or backward to only cut through the plywood roof decking or to cut through the rafters and all.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!