iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bump off a bumpy log

Started by Daren, April 11, 2008, 09:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

Not much to say I guess, just some pictures. I am not carver, to be honest this was the very first thing I ever carved. I learned even a little carving is alot of work and a bunch of sanding. I mentioned in the urban forestry section I had a couple redbud burl logs dropped off by the city. I milled the little one, it was pretty punky . I knew this log was not going to be much...I could look in one end and see out the other  ::). But the burls are cool, so I cut one off and went after it. It won't hold much more than a double handful of hard candy, I am on a diet anyway  :D.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Burlkraft

Nice job Daren  8)  8)  8)

I really like that bowl. I like the Redbud too......

I ain't never turned any of that, but it looks like I'll be huntin' some now  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Dave Shepard

That's really neat! We don't have any redbud around here, that I know of. What tools did you use? I believe a hand adze was used sometimes for hollowing stuff, as well as a variety of scorps.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ohsoloco

Daren, I've seen you mention that you're no carver, and a hack woodworker.  Gotta say, there's nothing hack-ish about any of your work.  I really like your work...you're a true craftsman  :)

metalspinner

Daren,
That's awesome. Make sure you tuck that one away for yourself.  If your place is anything like mine, Wifey will make off with it in a heartbeat. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dan_Shade

Daren, you sure have an eye for things that I'd put in the stove :)

it looks nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

thecfarm

That is some pretty.I always enjoy looking at your finds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Looks alien, with freckles.  ;D Ya just never know what nature is going to yield.  ;)

Don K, I hope the railing is not cold steel in Mid January with that tongue thing. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Timburr

There's only one thing to be said and which covers it all.   That's WOW!!  ;D
Sense is not common

Jeff

Thats one of the most beautiful bowls I have ever saw.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

The first couple of pics it almost looks like a tree mushroom. OK fungi people, go ahead and tell me what they really are, probably got it wrong, right? :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Daren,

Looks nice.

Kinda reminds me of a friend, and ARTIST EXTRODINAIRE, Brad Sells. He was in NYC  at a show I was at. He is an award winning wood sculptor. Check out his work, WOW         

http://www.bradsells.com/

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dodgy Loner

Great work, Daren! 8) Wish I was patient enough to make a bowl like that.  I find the instant gratification of lathe work to suit my personality a little better ::).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Daren

Quote from: Ironwood on April 12, 2008, 09:34:02 PM
ARTIST EXTRODINAIRE, Brad Sells.

I couldn't agree more about his talent, holy cow I am both humbled and inspired. (mostly humbled  :D) One thing I did get from his site was a busted bowl with a dutchman/butterfly patch and some epoxy fill...right up my alley  ;) Now I gotta make me a bowl and hope it does crack just so I can do that too.

Daren

Oops, I hit post twice or something  ??? ::)

ely

very nice bowl daren, you could also have turned it over and made a skull out it. anyway i would get more use from the bowl.

WDH

I love the natural wavy edges.  Very beautiful ;D.  I have never tired that, yet...
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Lud

Daren,
                   Nicely done and thanks for sharing. 

That Sells guy is doing some pretty work.    His Art Talk bs  gets a little old.  Probably goes with the territory.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Ironwood

Lud,

Ya know in person he is very understated. When I met thim in Wyoming at a show in 2006, Sam Maloof had just awarded him a very presigious award as a judge in the show, Given ALL the accolades he get from all over, he can be alittle artsy, he has earned it. You should see some of it in person, one piece was 10' tall WOW. I give him a ton of credit, even if hee gets heavy on the art talk on his website. If your work is in the PERMANANT collection at the Smithsonian in DC, you got some "braggin" rights.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dan_Shade

i'm not so much into art.  I still think if I had drawn a picasso in art class and nobody had ever heard of him, I'd have been given an F!  :)

But hey, life is at least partially about amusing yourself, and if somebody else likes it too, then that's awesome :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!