iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead rolls, live rolls.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 11, 2008, 06:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

What's the best way to make rollers? I need to make a couple of sections of rollers, probably just dead rolls, not powered. I would buy some, if they were available, does anyone have a source? Thanks.

I know this must have been covered somewhere, I try to search before I post a new toopic, but I have the worst luck searching for things. :-\ I could google pepperoni pizza and get three websites selling black market kidney transplants. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mooseherder

If you're looking for some like these I'd like to find more also.
Seems they shouldn't be hard to make something similiar if you have time with some schedule 40 pvc pipe capped/drilled and some rods thru and thru the ends.

Ron Wenrich

You'll bust up pvc pipe.  It might be OK for light stuff, but a few ties and I'm thinking things will break.

You can build them using 8" pipe and put a shaft through the center.  It takes some welding, then you'll need some bearings.  It can get to be costly.

Or you could go to an equipment dealer and he can get you a new set.  It might cost more, but you'll be able to have more time to saw.  There are a lot of used ones floating around that will run you just a little better than scrap prices.  Equipment dealers have them, too. 

I found several sites that had used ones.  How far do you want to travel?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

I'm hoping not much further than my scrap heap. ::) I am working on a couple of ideas regarding material handling at the new mill. I need to be able to accumulate say two hours production, then fire up the edger deal and with the pile. Baker has a nice roller table with a set of kickers on it, that may end up being the best way to deal with it. If I have a roller table that I can use the drag back on, then I can flip it into a pile while the saw is in the next cut. A tailman would be better, but there doesn't seem to be anybody that wants a job involving lumber chucking, except me, I guess. ::) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Dave they sell cheap flanged ball bearings to fit inside pipe or steel tube.You could also haunt junk yards ,any industry that handles materials is always changing their lines and conveyers.Bakeries and bottling plants especially,alas you may have to travel farther than your own scrap heap. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

D Martin

There is a surplus material handleing outlet on Rt. 125 Brentwood N.H , next door to Brentwood Machine. I forget the store's name and dont know if they still have them but, I purchased two 10 foot sections of heavy duty roller conveyor @ 50.$ ea. a few years back, I'd say that's pretty cheap. 6in channel  2in rollers, the rollers are every six inches. The rollers have internal roller bearings and are removable, I used them as a bed in a chainsaw mill and have had some pretty big logs on em ,30 plus inchers ,pine. It may be an hour up rt. 495 from Franklin Ma then 20 min up 125. Maybe Brentwood Machine could give you the name of the store if you called them as they are right next door.

Ron Wenrich

If you want to have a surge deck, then think of putting it onto a green chain of some type.  They're fairly easy to build and there's no stacking.  Just run the boards/slabs onto the chains and advance it every few boards.  When it gets full, then edge.  Put the edger at the end of the chains.  It will really reduce handling better than shoving it onto a pile to be handled later.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Shepard

I don't think we are going to have the room for that. The addition on the building is going to be either 16' or 20' wide and maybe 60' long. I am hoping that having to accumulate the lumber will be temporary, but not sure. I think if the pile is just to the left of the edger, it will be fairly convenient to pull the boards off the pile and stuff them in the edger. Also, if I do get an edgerman, having the boards kick off there will be convenient.  I'll have to see how things develop. Thanks.

Dave

Fla._Deadheader

Just for kicks, we built ours by welding bolts through washers, then welding washers inside pipe. Drill holes in 2" angle and space them according to length of stuff transported on the rollers, and use nylock nuts. Use hard bolts and bearings are not really necessary. Just a lil drop o slickum on the bolts, and, git r dun  :D

Put the rollers in the angle before welding a couple strips to the angles, for spacing apart, to keep rollers from binding.  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

My sawyer friend years ago made dead rolls for his circle mill from 2x6 oak rails, and 2x4 oak blocks face-glued, then turned on a lathe with a 3/8" rod. Worked for a good number of years.
He was inventive, a lot like FDH. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

You can get new roll case of ever type and size from Grainger.   They sell rollers too.  For the price,  I wouldn't make a roller.

Used ones are like mushrooms.  They are where you find them and you have to hunt quite a bit to find just the right ones or make the ones you find work.  Some suggestions; Scrap dealers will often save back such things they can sell for more than scrap value.  There are industrial contractors that tend to save back stuff they un-install from factories.  If you do business with some factory, likely they may have some used ones that could be bought if you know the right people.

You may find there is a sawmill closing down and will have an auction.  There are a couple of auction services that specialize in sawmill auctions.  Lots of stuff goes for scrap prices – except what I drove 200 miles to bid one.   

Mary and I found some sets of skate roller track at a big farm equipment auction.  They're not heavy enough but they've moved tons of stuff for us and didn't cost much.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ljmathias

Bibbyman: I googled Grainger but couldn't find the roller boards- am I using the wrong keywords or what?  Do you have a web address I could use?  Thanks.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

beenthere

Go on line at Graingers, and go to "material handling", and then to "conveyors".
Should see what they have in rollers there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ljmathias

Thanks, found them,  :) and they aren't cheap either... :-\

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Mooseherder

These are the type items you'll find cheap when you aren't really lookin' for them.
Keep looking and make sure whoever is selling doesn't know you really need them. :D

Dave Shepard

When we went to pick up my friends Wood Mizer last spring, the guy had an 8 ton equipment trailer loaded with live rolls, dead rolls, conveyor, and drive units. $500, but you had to take the trailer too. :-\ Would have been a good deal if you could have found someone to suck it up on a roll back, then scrapped the trailer when you got it home.

Dave

Dave Shepard

Graingers has a good selection of rollers, from about $5 up to $25 for wide heavy duty ones. It looks like the ones I want are about $10, can't make'em for that. ;)

Dave

Fla._Deadheader

Surplus Center youster have 'em, also.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

bandmiller2

Dave, cheap yankees can't just go out and buy new. Buy some and fill in with the fla. deadheader specials.Some of those slick teflon strips between rolls also work.Frank C.

bandmiller2

Dave its too bad I used to have conveyer rolls everywhere I had the scrap concession at the wonder bread bakery in Natick.Hauled many tons of em to the scrap yard.As I said before granger or any bearing place sells cheap flanged ball bearings that will fit in pipe or tube.

D Martin

The place I mentioned Is Brentwood Surplus Sales, Brentwood NH. I drove by it yesterday and looked at the sign. Its a material  handelng surplus store. They prolly got em on the cheap.

johncinquo

Old used boat rollers off old used boat trailers work pretty good, and they are cheap.  I have a couple in use now.  Hard rubber, mounted on a steel shaft. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

johncinquo

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!