iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey there...calling all Texas eaters...where should I go eat in Austin tomorrow?

Started by Paschale, April 09, 2008, 04:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everybody,

I'm on a tour in Texas with my brass quintet, and I'll be at UT-Austin tomorrow to do a concert and a master class.  We're hoping to get some good Texas grub...nothing fancy, just great Texan food, with a pub crawl to follow.  I'm hoping for some recommendations about a great place to eat, as well as a couple of must-see watering holes.

I put this in the food thread instead of the travel and places thread since the most important thing is the food!   8)

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

LeeB

Serranos on Red River for Mexican food, Kim Phoung on N. Lamar for Vietnamese (best noodles in Austin), Louie Mueller's in Taylor for BBQ (best BBQ in the world). For cheaper more homestyle Mexican food try Dario's on E. 6th street. Texadelphia on the drag makes a good Philly cheese steak. Ironworks BBQ is good and a lot of history. Hit 6th street for music and libations. Katz's deli on 6th for a good sandwich. Shlotsky's makes a good sandwich also. There are so many places to pick from you will have no problem finding something to suite your tastes. The eating and grocery shopping are about the only things I really miss about living in Austin.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

Iguana Grill, just on the west of Austin, at sundown, over the lake, with a margarita in hand and Tex-Mex.  Then 6th street for the freak show.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bibbyman

Many years ago I attended some training in Round Rock Texas.  Somewhere out of town there was a BBQ place called "The County Line".  They served family style.  It was some of the best food I ever eat!   Anyone know of this place?  Is it still there?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LeeB

There are two County Lines. One on ranch road 2222 and the other is somewhere in south Austin, not sure where. In all the years I lived in the Austin area, I never tried them out. I did always hear good reviews though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Texas Ranger

the county line is famous for bar-b-que, Texas style, along with a coldbeer.  That is not a typo, coldbeer is one word in Texan.

pappy19

I've been to The State Line in El Paso which is part and parcel of The County Line. Best BBQ I've had anywhere.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

scsmith42

The County Line is great BBQ.  About 20 miles west of Austin on 2222.  Their ribs are famous, along with the rest of their fare. 

Additionally, the Broken Spoke in South Austin is a Texas tradition.  Anybody that's ANYBODY in Country Music has played at the Spoke, going all the way back to Bob Wills.  Get the Chicken Fried Steak - definitely the best one that you'll ever have.  It's the best example of an authentic Texas Honky Tonk extant.

Matt's El Rancho Restaraunt is also an old-tiime Austin hangout.  GREAT Tex-Mex food.  They're out on South Lamar.

Spend some time in the eveings down on 6th street downtown.  It's one of the most vibrant nightclub spots in the US, and the section that you want is in between Congress Avenue and I35.  Go club-hopping.

If you want a great steak, Dan McClusky's on 6th street use to be one of the best.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Paschale

Well, in Waco, we ate at Rudy's BBQ.  It was very tasty, and I was impressed with Texas BBQ.  I get the sense that there's better stuff, but I really enjoyed it, and the creamed corn was out of this world good.  The next day we ate at a Cajun place called Buzzard Billy's where I had some really good blackened catfish, along with the best hush puppies I've ever eaten.  Then it was off to Arlington, and there we ate at Mariano's Tex-Mex, the place where the frozen margarita was invented.  I had some cilantro snapper that was very good, but the best part of the meal was the table-side made guacamole that was the best I've ever eaten.  I took notes:  avocado, onions, tomatoes, lime juice, garlic powder, cilantro and some of their roasted tomatillo salsa.  Amazing!

We then headed to Stephen F. Austin Univ, in Nagodoches.  I think the best meal I ate in Texas was there, and since we were in east Texas, we ate Cajun at a renovated gas station.  I ate my first crawfish, and I ate 'em like a true Cajun, sucking the juices right out after eating the tail meat.  I ate fried gator, some terrific rice and beans, along with crawfish ettouffe and some deep fried corn, all chased down with Shiner Bock beer. 

In Austin, we ate at Hut's Hamburgers, on 6th Street, near Lamar.  That was a great burger!  We did our concert, and then watched the freak show on 6th street.  We closed down a billiard hall at around 2:30, a bunch of middle aged college professors that last ones there.  Pretty fun, actually.  I smoked a cigar while I people watched, and even blew my first smoke ring.   ;D 

The next day was a great lunch at Whole Foods Market, and that night, we ate a steak at the Texas Land and Cattle near the airport in Fort Worth.

All in all, Texas treated me right, but I sure wish I had had more freedom to explore some of the places you guys suggested, on my own.  When you're with a group, you've got to come to a consensus...but all in all, I ate great!  And three cheers for Shiner Bock!   smiley_beertoast

ADAMINMO

You said deep fried corn ..... was it on the cob still , did they have it battered or just pitched it in the grease?I have never heard of that before.I have deep fried alot of stuff but the corn sounds interesting and good.Can you give me a little insight in that Paschale? sounds like someting I want to try.

scsmith42

Those are some good places that you listed; I had forgotten about Hut's and Whole Foods (which originated in Austin).  Glad that you were able to experience 6th street too!

Shiner Boch is my favoite beer.  Here in Carolina, you can buy it at some of the local grocery stores.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Paschale

Quote from: ADAMINMO on April 16, 2008, 09:28:15 AM
You said deep fried corn ..... was it on the cob still , did they have it battered or just pitched it in the grease?I have never heard of that before.I have deep fried alot of stuff but the corn sounds interesting and good.Can you give me a little insight in that Paschale? sounds like someting I want to try.

I was really curious about it too, and it was a hit.  What they did is to cut the cob into quarters, I'd say, like those little corn on the cobs you get at KFC.  They'd dredge them in a corn meal batter and fry them.  I got the impression from eating them that they had been boiled already, though I'm not sure.  I'd give it a go, and try it first uncooked--I'm just not sure if the corn would have time enough to get tender without boiling it first. 

They were good--you just kind of ate them like regular corn on the cob, but had the bonus of some good breading to go along with it.  Good idea, if you ask me!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the name of the restaurant in Nagodoches:  Delacroix.  If you're anywhere near, do yourself a favor! 

ADAMINMO

Texas Ranger

I have been telling y 'all about Shiner Bock for years, and here you have independent verification of what I have be saying.  Shiner and Cajun, made in heaven, Texas, that is.

Gary_C

Quote from: Texas Ranger on April 16, 2008, 12:43:10 PM
Shiner and Cajun, made in heaven, Texas, that is.

Ya, but when you are from Texas, most every other place seems like heaven.  :D :D

Sorry TR, just couldn't resist.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!