iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10" wet grinder kit

Started by beenthere, April 08, 2008, 03:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Anyone tried out, or looked closely at the Grizzly 10" wet grinder kit?

Germany made, has a slow moving 2" x 10" wheel and a leather stropping wheel.

http://grizzly.com/products/T10010

I'd be interested in any comments...thanks. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

It looks like a tormek knockoff, I think Jet makes one also. I have the tormek and really like it. It doesn't do long planer blades very well but everything else it does an excellent job on.

For the price I'd buy the grizzly over the tormek.

ADAMINMO

It was designed in Germany. But the tag on it when you pull up the manual says "Manufactured for Grizzly in China". So I guess it could be kinda misleading. Thats my $.02.

beenthere

Adam
That is interesting. The Grizzly ad I am looking at (in WoodShop News) says MADE IN GERMANY and in three places.  Quote "You won't find another German-Made tool of this caliber, at this price, anywhere but Grizzly"

Howerver, I would tend to believe what you said tho.. ::) ::) ::)    Do you have one, or what do you mean "when you pull up the manual" ??   I pulled it up on the Grizzly site, but didn't see "made in China".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thedeeredude

Looks a lot like the Scheppach tiger, also made in Germany.  If I remember on the 2008 grizzly catalog it says made in Germany.  Either way my 2ยข is to put that money towards good stones, like Arkansas or some other high quality stone.  Learning how to free hand sharpen doesn't take any expensive jigs or attachments.  And if the electric is out you can still use your hand planes to work ;D

Larry

I bought a 6 X 48 belt sander partially based on a glowing report by Wood Magazine some years ago.  While the sander has been a good value the testers at Wood Magazine musta had there eyes closed when they tested the machine.  IMO the test was fraud.

If you notice Grizzly does not, and has not advertised in Fine Woodworking for a very long time...there is a reason for that.

I'm not a fan of any of the slow speed grinders running in water.  While they can do an excellent job there are other ways of sharpening tools much faster.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ADAMINMO

I looked at the online manual and zoomed in on the info tag. It was a little blurry but you can make out "Manufactured for Grizzly in China."

Thank You Sponsors!