iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill building

Started by bandmiller2, April 05, 2008, 08:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

If you are building or setting up a mill be it band,swing,or big spinner take some time and visit all the mills you can find.We all tend to get tunnel vision but their are so many ways to do things.I have learned things from every mill I visited good or bad.If theirs something on your mill you hate to do correct it as best you can,a mill should never be done keep making improvements especially heavy handling jobs.Even little things like a pocket to put your cant hook within easy reach out from underfoot.If you watch a good sawyer you will see little wasted movement.Oh I stole Chucks term spinner, good way to describe a circle mill as opposed to a swinger. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

gizmodust

Good thought, bandmiller 2.  I own a Norwood 2000 and was looking at a Woodmiser that was for sale by an independent sawyer.  When he learned that I already had one, he wanted to know why I was looking at his.  I said for ideas.  No matter what you do, you can overlook something. :-\
Always liked wood with alot of character

bandmiller2

Gizmodust ,I can remember spending a morning with a sawyer ,he had a well setup circle mill and he was greased lightning but only had a small 4 cyl gasoline engine [IH] every cut he would have to slow the carrage and struggle through the cut.So many times I've seen such clever setups then the guy blowes it on something simple.

gizmodust

So right you are, bandmiller 2.  That's what I meant when I said you can overlook something  :-\  Right, wrong or otherwise  ;)
Always liked wood with alot of character

Captain

Frank, we should plan a tour...I'm putting up a building this year :)

jason.weir

Feel free to visit Chichester, NH..

I hope to have my mill up and running this summer as well.

I've got the foundation, new mill timbers and powerplant in the works.

Just gotta get it all together

-Jason

McCormack

Hey Jason I'm in Gilmanton, NH. I would like to stop by and check out your setup sometime. I'm also planning on building a sawshed this summer and would like to get some ideas. Let me know. Thanks!

Jeff McCormack

jason.weir

Jeff - that great, someone else nearby.

Not sure I'm one to get ideas from, not if you want good ones.

I'm new at this, I bought an old mill that needs to be totally rebuilt - I only started collecting pieces and parts.  I'm hoping to really get going once the snow and mud is all gone.

You should visit the Sandborn Mill farms in Loudon, they have a Lane #1 mill running on water power in a beautiful mill building with a 36' carriage and over 70' of track.  They saw a couple times a week and it is a joy to watch.

More info here

http://smf.websterridge.com/

-Jason

Captain

Well, Jason you're on my visitation list for this summer as that Lane begins to come together.  I'm (Lane) green with envy...now Frank, just when is a good time to see your progress on the Chace 'de Lane??

Captain

bandmiller2

Jason, glad you got dug out of that snow bank we missed you.I have the parts for no less than four carrages most lane.If you need something let me know.Last batch I hauled home,Lane #1 the heavy cast iron husk with topsaw with those massive saddle mount two row ball brgs.Also 45' of heavy rail.What I'll end up with is a chase carrage[like their setworks]on lane trucks and track with a lane husk.Only thing I'am missing are the parts of the friction feed that mount to the husk.As I've said before I have the Heacock flatbelt feed from an old Frick mill ,may use that if I can't find the Lane friction stuff.Frank

bandmiller2

Sound like it will be a busy summer here in the northeast,at least were all talking the talk.Got to drag my old pto cement mixer out of the pucker brush and get some sand and stone.Cappy I've got to revisit your operation this summer,why don't you have anouther mill demo with those spiffy free hot dogs and soda.

jason.weir

Frank,

I've got some of the friction parts - might actually have most of them.  Maybe we can do some trading. I don't mind the Heacock feed because I don't know any better...

I know another member that has some Lane friction parts as well and I know where there might still be a steel husk rack and pinion Lane mill missing just the friction feed parts.  There seems to be plenty of parts around.  Another group I'm part of has had replacement parts cast very cheaply from an Amish foundry.  If we have 1 good part to start with we can have duplicates made..

Captain

You're welcome anytime - not much to look at yet.  I'll keep everyone up to date with any progress.

Maybe we need to have a get-together later on this summer for those of us who don't make the trek out to the annual pig roast.

-Jason

Captain

No more demos for me here, Frank.  We don't represent that manufacturer any longer.  If you come for a visit I'll cook for you anyhow....

Captain

zopi

Speaking of circles...anyone know anything about Wheland circle mills? saw one the other day in the
throes of junkhood...arbor is jacked and half the setworks was missing...still had it's nameplate tho'..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bandmiller2

Cappy thanks for the offer your a standup guy.You might as well make that new building long enough for a real mill.What shade of green are lane mills,??I've got a full gal. of barber green ,green paint the color they use on their pavers.

bandmiller2

Jason , thanks for the offer later I'll probibly take you up on it.It seems their is no shortage of old mills laying around the trick is to find one complete.I'am busy picked up a case 310 industrial tractor with a nice loader,restoring it ,nothing fancy its a worker,getting it ready to paint when the weather brakes.Then its cement foundation time.

jason.weir

Frank,

If you need any parts for the 310 let me know.

I picked up this beauty last fall for the rear diff that I broke in my 530 backhoe.

I've sold the tires\bucket\engine and need the rear diff but the rest is available.

Anything left is yours for the taking - saves me a trip to the scrap yard..

-Jason

bandmiller2

Jason,thanks for the generous offer,but I'am kinda on thin ice with drug home junk if you know what I mean.Did the guy that took the tires take the rims too??Reason I ask is my rims are good but deep dish ether wide or narrow,narrow won't fit because of the loader frame wide is real wide.That case 148 engine would have been just right for the shingle mill,but I'm sure their was a good reason . Thanks again Frank C.

HOGFARMER

Just picked up a little Foley Belsaw M-14 currently it is apart for painting.  Then I will have to pour concrete footings for it.  Am currently looking for ideas on how to make the setup.  Goal is to cut farm lumber for myself and a couple of other farmers. Suggestions welcome.  Thanks!
Manual LT-30

jason.weir

Frank,

The motor had big connecting rod sized holes in either side of the block - nothing I wanted.  I'd never pass up a good running motor...  The rims went with the tires. 

My wife would also say I can't bring any more junk home till I get rid of some of what I've already got..  Not sure how thats going to work out though - I have a feeling that I'm going to disappoint her.

-Jason

Thank You Sponsors!