iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to saw sycamore and red maple, and what to do with it.

Started by Dave Shepard, April 02, 2008, 06:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've got two different projects coming up, one is a few large sycamore logs, and the other is a good sized whack of red maple. The red maple we are thinking flooring, I have never sawn red maple before, is flooring a good use for it?

The sycamore logs, I don't know what they are going to be used for. Is it good for cabinetry and flooring? Is quarter sawing going to give us the best figure? Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

Dave, everything I've read on here leans to Q-sawing the Sycamore. I don't know about the red maple.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dave Shepard

That's what I was thinking as well. Only thing I have heard of using red maple for is pallets.

I missed out on a big sycamore last winter, 36"x9' clear and sound. It ended up as firewood, what a waste.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Radar67

I'd use red maple for turning before I cut it up for pallets. I'd be willing to bet it would make good framing wood for cabinets. I'd use it for any trim I planned to paint as well.

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

roger 4400

Hi Dave, I,ll try to help you as you did with me...
Sycamore..I don,t know
  Red maple I know....It,s average to put on floors, softer than yellow birch, ladies with **high heels ** will mark the floor. Would be great for walls or furniture or moulding , cabinets... Sugar maple or hard maple is a lot better for flooring.
    If you put it in a bedroom (floor) it will be fine, but myself I would not put red maple where there is a lot of traffic. Just my opinion.    See you.        Roger

Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

beav39

dave ,do you have a picture of what you are calling red maple if so what is white maple ?sugar maple?
sawdust in the blood

metalspinner

Dave,
I am just starting some cabinets with spalted QS sycamore.  Lots of stuff is happening in those boards. 8)  the wood is a bit soft - mostly from the spalting.  But sycamore in general is softer than other common hardwoods.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Reddog

Quote from: roger 4400 on April 02, 2008, 08:55:40 PM
     Sycamore..I don,t know
  Red maple I know....It,s average to put on floors, softer than yellow birch, ladies with **high heels ** will mark the floor. Would be great for walls or furniture or moulding , cabinets... Sugar maple or hard maple is a lot better for flooring.
    If you put it in a bedroom (floor) it will be fine, but myself I would not put red maple where there is a lot of traffic. Just my opinion.    See you.        Roger

I am with Roger. A little soft for floors.
Some times you can get curly red maple to. Most times a light stain really brings out the grain.
"Sycamore..I don,t know" same here.

Wally

scsmith42

Jeff Mills (Dad2nine here on FF) has quartersawn quite a bit of sycamore, and I've dried it for him.  It is a dream to work with - lots of nice ray flect and it does extremely well in the kiln.  I use the same schedule as red oak for it.

Try to end seal it as quickly as possible after felling the logs, and mill it / get it into the kiln ASAP for minimal degrade.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Don P

We got paid today for a red maple / hickory project. I used both on walls, ceilings and floors.

I've used pine on floors for that matter and have taken up a 150 year old poplar floor that still had plenty of life.

metalspinner

"Softer" floors pick up the patina a lot quicker.  Many people like that look.  These woods might be "soft", but I wouldn't want to get hit in the head with one. smiley_swinging_board

Dave Shepard

The guy that's bringing the sycamore said he has heard that if moves a lot, even once it's dry. Said a friend of his made cabinets out of it and they moved around too much. I would have thought dried q-sawn would be more stable. I know I will need a dust mask when I saw it, being a platanus species. ;)

Dave

metalspinner

You should ask if his friend dryed it thoroughly and properly. I know some guys around here that pay no attention to MC when they build furniture then complain about movement. ::) :-X

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beav39 on April 02, 2008, 09:16:13 PM
dave ,do you have a picture of what you are calling red maple if so what is white maple ?sugar maple?

red maple = white maple = soft maple ;)

white maple is a common name among woodsmen around here to.

sugar maple = rock maple = hard maple  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dale Hatfield

according to USFS Red maple make a great framing lumber stronger than SPF. But if it has caricature ,wave ,curl,or ambrosia   Id hang it on the wall some how.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

bandmiller2

Dave, is red maple what we call swamp maple,grows in lowland areas??I've never had much luck with it seems to always have a dark heart.It seems to move around alot drying usally now it just keeps me warm.I've never milled a sycamore can't say anything about it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SwampDonkey

bandmiller yes, also silver maple can be called that to, they both grow on our low lands and river bottom lands.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

OneWithWood

I have sawn both.
Flat sawn sycamore is boring.  Quarter sawn sycamore can be eye popping georgeous  :o
Falt sawn soft maple will basically end up as paint grade because the grain pattern can also be bland.  Quarter sawn soft maple is hit and miss.  The heartwood has a beautiful texture that stands out.  The sap wood can show some good figure, depending on the finish.
I would quarter both.  The more bland soft maple can be put to good use as structural wood in furniture and cabinetry.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dave Shepard

Bandmiller2, yes, this is what is known as swamp maple around here. As SwampDonkey says, it is grouped with silver maple. There is a huge silver maple butt log at work, but I don't know that it's worth sawing. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dave

beenthere

I really think the grouping is "soft maple", of which red and silver are within that group. Seems to be some confusion afloat here.

Red maple (Acer rubrum) is a species, and identified easiest when looking at the tree. After the wood is sawn, it is not easily separated from the other soft maple species. Silver maple (Acer saccharinum) is a species, of which red isn't in there. Both are in the soft maple group.

Also afloat are some 'local' names given to the wood, to add to the confusion.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I've been trying to call it red maple, which is the proper name. I agree it can get confusing using local vernacular. Hedge apple is even worse in regards to local names. ;)

Dave

beenthere

I think the term 'white' maple is used to designate the sapwood of maple, soft or hard. It isn't a species, as SD implied (but just my midwestern opinion... ;D ;D )

Here is a helpful site showing the relationship between the maples.

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/frame.htm
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

No, white maple = red maple, one and the same regardless of sapwood. Ask anyone in Maine and the Maritimes who cuts wood.

Yes to your previous comment beenthere. ;D

oh and black maple is a hard maple as well as sugar maple. I doubt most anyone could tell the trees apart, let alone the logs. ;D

hmmm red oak, then there is white oak, then there are chestnut oaks........ :D :D

Beweller

Around here, the stumpage for red maple has gone up.  I have heard (second hand) that the reason is that it can be stained to resemble cherry.
Beweller

SwampDonkey

Possibly, but I think yellow birch would and has been used as a look-a-like until you get looking at the grain closer. Never heard of red maple stained cherry. We do get yellow birch with pinkish heart on old growth and is much more stable than maple heart.

Thank You Sponsors!