iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade skidder Pictures Added!!!!!!!!!

Started by timberfaller390, April 01, 2008, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

Hey Yall I saw a really cool homemade skidder the other day it was built from a '67 chevy 2 ton truck. The front axle and T-case were from a 50 something army duce and a half the arch was from a 440 deere skider and the winch which was run off the PTO was from an old crane. It still used the truck cab minus the doors, they left the windshield which I would have replaced with cage wire but it's still a pretty cool rig I took lots of pictures I'll post as soon as I figure out how.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

i was contimplating using an old duce and a half truck a while back, for only 4,000 there was a place near my house i could get one, but i found that they didnt have power steering, so that would be bad.
Although i look forward to seeing some pictures.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Coon

Well, seeing as you guys are talking about homebuilt skidders I'll just have to show you the one I built.  I have to scan the pics yet as they are actual photos.  Finally just found my pics now so, I'll get at it tonight.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

timberfaller390

I'm looking for an old duce to use for a log truck my current one is only a single axle.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Nailhead

I sure am waiting for the pictures ;) ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Coon

Well here it goes.  When I was 16 I worked for a farmer on my summer hollidays.  He had this old Versatile tractor  sitting out in his line up of equipment.  He never used this tractor anymore as it was too small for his operation.  He claimed that the tractor was just simply wore out.  One day, after eyeing up this tractor for several weeks, I asked the farmer just out of the blue how much he wanted for the tractor.  He says "Well I don't really know.  Let me think about it for a while.  What would you want that old thing for anyways?"  Well, I told him what I thought it would be good for.  Yup, a skidder.  He kinda gave me a bit of an odd look and says, "how about this?  I'll give you the old tractor to build into a skidder on one exception.  You come skid some logs for me when it's built.  Use my shop to build it if you like.  I'll even help you out."  I was totally in my glory. ;D

The tractor is a 1968 Versatile 118 with a 118hp v6 Cummins diesel with a  9-speed forward, 3 speed reverse, transmission.  Into the lower part of the transmission Versatile also incorporated the 4-wheel drive splitter box.   This  transmission was pressure lubricated and lubricant was cooled by using the transmission as a reservoir for the power steering system from which the oil was returned to the transmission through an oil cooler and filter.   1000 RPM live PTO and 3-Point Hitch as well.

We' mounted a blade, a skidding arch, and built our own clumsly looking winch.  We also made a few guards and put a roll cage on as well.

This old girl is retired now.  It does however still run well but needs a new clutch, new rubber, and one planetary.  The winch works as well as the day we built it.  Have never seen one pull like it does.  Haven't had a log it wouldn't pull.

Mooseherder

Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 01, 2008, 11:13:50 PM
I'm looking for an old duce to use for a log truck my current one is only a single axle.
One like this? ;D

Burlkraft

Quote from: Mooseherder on April 02, 2008, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: timberfaller390 on April 01, 2008, 11:13:50 PM
One like this? ;D

Didn't we just see a different picture of this truck  ??? ??? ???

Wasn't it white  ??? ???   :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Mooseherder

Yep...here it is. :D  Look at my trailer to the right of it. :(

zackman1801

thats a sweet home made skidder you made, coon. what kind of engine does she have? and how much did it cost to make her...and time? that would be a sweet project to work on.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

shinnlinger

Coon,

I like your skidder..any more shots of that winch?  I would like to know more about that.

Thanks.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Coon

Well with two of us working I'd like to say about 20 hours each.  We had some problems getting the winch to work the way we wanted it to.  At the time I think I had about $500 invested in the unit.  I recycled most of the steel used in the project.  The blade cylinders only cost me $50 at an auction. 

The winch is hydraulically driven and is a two speed.  We had to gear the winch down to about 6 to 1 to get the speed and power we wanted for the pulling  of really big logs.  In the higher speed I think it is geared 3 to 1.

Sorry that is all the picks of the winch I could find.  I will take some more pics this summer when I go to start the ol' girl.  "Curly Sue" is gonna get a new set of used shoes.  I also found a planetary I also need to fix her up.  Then she'll get a new clutch when she gets home. 

The tractor has a v6 Cummins diesel and a 9 speed forward and 3 speed reverse transmission.

timberfaller390

Ya I want one just like that!!!! it would look great with a set of log bunks.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

Coon  thats a real nice skidder. love to see some pics. I'll try to post mine tomorrow.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

sorry guys couldn't find the cable for my camera. I'm going to take it to a friend tomorrow he says he can post them with just the memory card.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

i,de sure like to see those pictures.. :'(

timberfaller390

hey delbert tomorrow I promise.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

RSteiner

My cousin has a 6X6 ex-military truck that he wants to sell.  He and his son made a project out of getting it on the road.  I believe it has a gas engine which gets about 4 or 5 miles per gallon.  But as much as you can load on the thing it will carry.

Randy
Randy

dsgsr

I've got a friend thats got an old Duce 1/2 thats for sale if anyones interested. It's a Reo from '50's or '60's Gas job real good condition. Was a fire truck, no body new tires and batteries, located in Franklin, Maine. I think he's asking about 2200.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

dsgsr

Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

zackman1801

anything man...im still dying to see some pics of this beast!
i wonder how big the engine is? and what kind.
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

Photos finally. Follow the link below.

http ://www.photodump.com/ccfr443/a147476/
PHOTOS MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY
See instructions here: Link
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

timberfaller390

It is built from a '67 chevy 2 ton the engine is a 350 chevy  they removed the stock fuel tank and added a 8 gallon fuel cell where the passenger seat used to be.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Dave Shepard

That's pretty neat! How does it pull?

The link to the pictures won't last, you will have to upload them to your Forestry Forum gallery. Follow this link, Posting Photos, and let us know if you need any help. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zackman1801

wow that thing is really cool.  although i wonder how it would go in the snow?
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Thank You Sponsors!