iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM....LT15....... GAS OR ELECTRIC ???

Started by roger 4400, April 01, 2008, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger 4400

Hello everyone....I,m planning in buying a LT15....in a year or so.....I red many of your treads and I think it would be the ideal mill for me....( I do not need high production, I will mill for me and will sell some for fun.I,m retired)...BUT one question.....I have 2 woodlots, one where I live +- 60 acres,mostly red maple (small 16 in and less)  white pines up to 24 in.   some but rare to 30 in.....spruce and balsam to 18 in.. so easy to bring the logs to the mill.
    The other lot is 145 acres but 100 miles from home. Mostly sugar maples up to 28 in average over 16in. Some red maples same size. Yellow birch 14 to 20 in , and 3000 red pines (young plantation 5 to 10 in.) cedars up to 24 in.  and basswood up to 24in...so nice big and heavy wood on that lot.
     What I ask myself  = Is it wiser to have an ELECTRIC mill at home under a wood shed and bring the logs home some at the time on my trailer (18ft 7000pounds capacity that is only +- 5 nice maple logs) or best have them brought by a van, or to have a gas 15 hp Kohler and bring the mill on the other lot....I should have to take back the planks at home anyway....
    If your advise is ELECTRIC.... my shed will be 150 to 200 ft from home, what size of electric motor, size of wiring    and do we always have to have a ***swing pole **carying electricity to the motor when we walk or there is a wire under the mill that does so ????
     THANKS for your precious infos and knowledge.                    Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Bibbyman

I'm a big fan of electric sawmills.  I'd advise doing it where it makes sense.  In your case,  it's a tossup.   With having to run wiring 150-200 feet,  it may cost too much.  Another option would be to see if the power company would put you in a new service.  That way you could keep track of your electricity use.   For us,  running a business,  we take the electric use off our taxes. 

Beings that you've got two locations and I'm assuming the other location would not have electric service,  I'd think going gas would be a better option.  Not only for the mobile sawing but also it would help the re-sale value of the mill having a gas engine – that being far more popular.  Saying that,  try out the new 25hp gas engine option.  Those that have sawn on an LT15 with the 25 hp engine say it makes a noticeable difference.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

roger 4400

Thanks Bibbyman for answering.  Having a second power line would be as much investment $. Over here, Hydro Quebec only get you the first 100 ft, I would have to pay the other 300 ft. It is shorter to go from the house garage to the future mill. I red many replies from you in other posts. I know you like electric mills,,,,,,and I guess me too. Even if I get a gas mill to my other lot, I still have to take the wood back with my trailer and f250......It costs a lot of gas and **arm energy** and time. The 10 hp engine ....is it almost same hp as a 25 gas engine????? Thanks for your time...   Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

roger 4400

Hi !!! Sorry Bibbyman for last night answer, I was in a hurry   ....
    I never used a sawmill, but had some 40,000ft sawed and I helped the *sawman*. I know how much work it is and trying to figure a way to do as needless work as possible. I think that if I log 6,000 to 6,500 ft of logs (a van load ?) at the time and pay a van to bring them back to home, I would work less ( always alone). It would be as costly but less work for me. If I have to saw my wood 100 miles from home ,I,ll have to put it in the trailer, drive back , unload etc...( LESS work means higher production....LOL... I red a link in one of your reply about using a sawmill and increase production...)
   Is electric mill almost free from maintenance ( oil change, carburator set up, weather .....) ?? (need to be covered I guess to protect from weather)
    Is there a wire that runs under the mill to feed the motor or I have to fix a **swingpole** over the mill ???
    I red somewhere that electric 10 hp is almost as strong as 25 hp gas  true  ???
    From my garage If I run a grade 4 wire and use a 50 amp breaker it might do it   ???
     The electric motor will be a single phase 10 hp..........
Concerning the resale value, you,re right..... but I,ll die at home..LOL... and my son might use it  AFTERWHILE ..LOL..
    Like a lot of us I already have to take care of +- 18 gas engines on different **toys**  . So I think an electric motor could give me a break....But I,m opened mind and respect all of your opinions and mostly RESPECT your experience and knowledge....Thanks .                                             Roger   

Dave Shepard

Rule of thumb is electric is equal to twice the horse power of a gasoline engine. If you invest in the wiring to run the sawmill, will there be other things that you could run as well? If you have the power to run a 10hp motor, then you can run planers and other small processing equipment too.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

roger 4400

Dave thanks for answering!
   You are right.... But ....I already have my wood working tools in the home garage. I,ll explain : electric home panel is 400 amp. from this panel I have a 100 amp breaker and number 3 wire that goes to the home garage where I have some electric *toys* on 220 volts ( 20in. planer, shaper, saw etc... I do my own furniture, home, cabinets Look in my link with my wood ...milled BY SOMEONE ELSE.....and I want to change this. Only the kitchen cabinets are nice black walnut  from USA,not my wood.
     Now I want to put a 60 amp breaker in the home garage and run a number 4 wire to my other garage (it is the shortest way) 150 ft from home,and put a 60 amp electric panel where I could put a 50 amp. breaker to feed the mill that will be beside this other garage. If the city do not want to give me a permit for a shed for my sawmill, I,ll open the back wall of that other garage and put the mill inside.
     Thanks for the infos concerning the hp of electric versus gas. So I think with their 10hp electric motor (equals 20 hp gas so almost as powerfull as the advise of BIBBYMAN that told me a 25 gas engine) I,d have enough power to use a LT15. I think I,ll go with electric motor, this way I,ll be more effective.
    You were very kind to give me some time and advise,thanks.        Roger
If anyone else have ideas ....go ahead.. we will DEAL ..LOL......

Thank You Sponsors!