iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buy Stihl parts online w/ parts lookup?

Started by woodfirst, April 01, 2008, 09:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodfirst

Does anyone know of a good online source for Stihl parts?  I would prefer a site that has a good parts lookup system.

Thanks

dancan

Welcome woodfirst and see if this site helps
http://www.locvim.com/html/ang/index2.html
it gets you into the stihl ipl  8) and has links for other stuff

sawguy21

Stihl won't like them making that link available, they don't want parts ordered on line ;).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dancan

your probably right , but it is handy and convenient while it works and even if you have to go to the dealer to order your parts at least when the parts clerk says " Is that the part you want ?" you have already  looked at the ipl and have a part number .
it also comes in handy for reassembly (you know that short term memory thing  :)

DR_Buck

Can't say much for Stihl parts, but this is the best link I've seen for Husky, Kohler, Homelite. Echo  and others.

http://www.randysenginerepair.com/
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

LincolnLog

Quote from: woodfirst on April 01, 2008, 09:29:17 AM
Does anyone know of a good online source for Stihl parts?  I would prefer a site that has a good parts lookup system.

Thanks

I don't think Stihl has an online parts lookup, but this site has a really good resource for Stihl parts and other manufacturer parts lookup: www.buchallase.com

GASoline71

There is no online source to buy parts from Stihl... find a dealer.

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

LincolnLog

Just noticed www.stihlpartslookup.com went up. Maybe just a resource for Stihl Parts?

Clam77

Not a source for parts - just someone's blog site with a bunch of useless stuff on it.    ::)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Al_Smith

Here's what you'll find on on line Stihl parts .Unless someone has a cache of new old stock which some do it's "bootleg " parts and will usually cost you more than a dealer .

I've seen them try to sell flippy caps for a 200T for 12 bucks plus shipping you can buy from a dealer for 9 dollars .That's just one example .

T Welsh

I had a site one of our members posted a while back with parts pages on all Stihl models http://www.smaf-touseau.com/rubrique/eclates-tronconneuses-thermiques.html?id_rubrique=275 I went to look up a part # the other day and it was shut down. I take it Stihl found out it was online and shut it down. the company is very protective of there products and will not tolerate any parts look up what so ever. any one have a link to another one. Tim

Al_Smith

If you "google" real good you can find the parts lists .I won't supply any links because of Stihls anal retentive attitude towards things though .

I like the products but don't like the old school attitude of controlling all knowledge of the stuff of which try as they may have never been totaly successfull at .Following that statement 1,000 Stihl dealers got red in the face . :D

I just love to rattle their cages ,can't help myself ,great sport . 8)

T Welsh

Al, anal retentive is an understatement. I as you truly love there products, but they do go overboard on it. when I get in a bind I will search again and bookmark another site to see it fall after its found out :D. Tim

Al_Smith

Here's the deal on that .A few years ago several of us attempted to get a repository together with every known saw every made with IPLs
and parts numbers .It included people from all over the world .

I along with others spent months copying many including Stihl IPL's .I was later told to stop for fear that company would get their tail feathers out of joint if they were ever posted on line .

On reason I won't post a whole lot of IPL's on line is to save the praticular site it's posted on from the wrath of the almighty Stihl .However on that I along with dozens more have the ability to look up many brands of saws parts numbers .I won't send them however through either a web site nor a PM of that site .

Really though if it's a flea bay part they tell you what it fits and a dealer can look it up which is who you otherwise would be dealing with .

The actualy service manuals don't tell you a whole lot if you already know  how to turn a wrench on a saw anyway .Oh some things maybe  but most including myself already had if figured out before we ever saw a service manual .

If you're really intersted in it just keep watching flea bay .They pop up every so often.

bandmiller2

When Stihl clicks their heels all their dealers jump.I hear col. Clink and Shultz went to work for them after the war. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Clam77

It's too bad they have to be that way too - you'd think they'd get wise and let those of us that know how to fix things, fix them, and those that THINK they know and mess things up, mess them up so they get more business by having a new saw come back to the dealer.   ::)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

T Welsh

It does,nt bother me that the company is trying to protect what is there,s in the first place. but they need to get into the 21 century and have a web site that will let you get into the IPL,s so that I can order over the internet or call the dealer and tell them I need this part# instead of going down in the truck and wasting time and fuel. Tim

bandmiller2

Big companys today are on a course to eliminate the small local dealer and the personal service that built their companys.Insted they want mega-dealerships with slick glad handing salesmen that make you feel your older equipment belongs in a museam.They are handing business over to foreign companys on a silver platter.You go into your local guy you've done business with for 40 years and he says JD has pulled my dealership,but he has a curry smelling tractor that looks good at half the price,you trust him,what are you going to buy?? Frank C.

Al_Smith

I won't mention the name of the one dealer I use but I can order parts over the phone . The one within two miles of me I'll ever use again and drive 15 miles to the one I consider the best ever .

I'll also mention Scott again from chainsawr a sponser of this site .He has a lot of stuff not even listed on his site and sells used stuff very reasonable .Something to keep in mind .

Jeff

Stihl also sponsors this website. I think its fine to discuss things that bother you, things you like, things you dont like, old ideas, better ideas but I DO NOT think it is okay to make derogatory remarks such as Frank, bandmiller2  made a few posts ago about a forum sponsor. This topic talks about coming into the future, well Frank, World war two has been over for 70 years.

We have members that work for stihl, we have members that are stihl dealers. We even have an admin that is a stihl dealer. We have very happy and dedicated Stihl owners. There is no reason why all of you can't discuss these sort of things without insulting your fellow members. Believe me, I know when people are being insulted as I'm the first in line to hear about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Oh they meaning Stihl listens .Perhaps aren't too vocal about it though .

I can name a number of instances where feed back on certain things has made it to the upper management and corrective action was taken at least in some areas .

One praticular case involved having several pro users operating somewhat protype saws and evaulating them as to performance etc .This area right here is where real progress can be achieved especially on a new product .Right out on the front lines with the people that use the product .

Fact of the matter I've corresponded with a guy pretty high up in Va Beach about carb problems on the 200T's .That's a long story though .Unfortunately that little icon of trim saws has been replaced at least for now but again that's another long story .

Al_Smith

Now then,ahem dealers .Fortunately there are more good ones than not so good .They aren't created equal though but thank heavens they are plentifull so you often have a choice who to deal with .

Guys' like me it's doubtfull will ever buy a new product which some kind of snub their nose at .Others are more than gracious to get the parts you need in very short order .Fact my favorite dealer can have parts usually within 48 hours which a person certainly can't belly ache  about that .

So to cut to the chase as far as my 2 cents worth is concerned ,fire the dealer but don't give up on the product . :)

Ed

I guess I'm lucky to have good Stihl dealers near me when I need parts. What little bit of service they have done for me has been good as well. I've also been treated good when buying saws.
Over the years there has been only one dealer who will never see my shadow again in their store, they were close to my workplace, only reason I went there was convience, they actually screwed the saw up worse than when it was taken in, then wouldn't admit to it....Ended up taking the saw 30 miles in the opposite direction to another dealer that was recommended to me, IMO their service techs are the best I've ever dealt with and made DanG sure the saw was fixed correctly.

Ed

Paul_H

I had Stihl chainsaws since I began in the bush and we were always very happy with the company and our dealers in Pemberton and Squamish BC.
When we sold out the logging co in 2003 I worked for another logging outfit for the next 4-5 years but was looking for a small sawshop that was a Stihl dealer specifically  because I liked the product and the dealer support.

In this shop we now own and operate,we also service any other makes that come in if we can find the parts.What I find on a lot of Walmart and Homedepot equipment is they have no support or loyaly to the customers.I've sold a few machines to folks that were looking in on their way to Home Depot and I showed them our products and asked them to look at other products but also to inquire about replacement parts while they were there and see if the staff even knew what they were after,let alone provide.
Most come back and buy from us.
Al.it seems to me that you want the best of both worlds,cheap parts off the internet with no local commitment.That is a Walmart mentality that lowers standards and expectations from the consumer.I see Husqvarnas in Sears and Canadian Tire now and wonder how the dealers feel about that?

We have a storefront and land and building here in town and I'm here from 6:45am to 5:45pm year round whether we get one customer or 100 any given day.We stock many parts and a lot of inventory and are committed to have only quality products.I appreciate any company that backs me up on running my business.

I see many similarities between Stihl and Woodmizer in quality of products and their professionalism.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Al_Smith

Paul you're reading some thing into  or I didn't use the correct verbage .

First of all I don't make a living with a chainsaw .I rebuild and repair saws ,collect a few and service some for mainly tree trimmers . I'm not about to dump twice the price into a 20 year old Stihl for repairs as it would bring fair market value .Thusly I use used parts if applicable  .

If it requires new parts and if justified they come from a local dealer .Depending on the application if it's an oldie I might purchase same from new old stock that some flea bay sellers have .

As far as using a dealer,any dealer for repairs I've not met a one that can wrench them as good as myself .That's not bragging just a simple fact of the matter .

Now if per chance I was in the biz of tree work,timber faller etc. I could justify the purchase of new equipment as a cost of doing business and it would most likely be Stihl products .

Now conversely with the shoe on the other foot  I'm a union electrician with both an IBEW plus a UAW journeymans card .I get payed very well .

Now perhaps being a business man you might justify paying 60-70 bucks per hour to have a technician perhaps repair a machine tool .You certainly aren't going to pay that much for a guy or gal to hook up a light fixture in your house .See depends on how you look at things . ;)

Al_Smith

Now let me tell about Husqvarna in case you didn't know .A few years back locally they made power play with some local dealers .Gave them a choice Stihl or Huskey .Stihl won out ,Huskey pulled their franchises and didn't purchase back the stock ,stuck them with it .

I'm pretty certain the Husqvarna models sold at Sears ,Home D. Lowes etc. are consumer models or at least that's all I've seen .If you think back and were around at the time basically McCulloch did the very same tactic and it didn't go well for them .There's of course more to that story as we all well know .

FWIW the closest  stocking Husqvarna dealer is nearly 40 miles away and he's not so good .On that if I need Husky parts they come from a dealer in South Carolina because there just plane out are none in this locality and because of past practices it will be years if ever again that there will be .

Paul_H

QuoteNow conversely with the shoe on the other foot  I'm a union electrician with both an IBEW plus a UAW journeymans card .I get payed very well .

I knew that about you Al and I believe I read the situation properly.You'd be singing a different tune if you did it for a living.
Honestly,what would you do if a crew came on the job at your worksite and were paid the kind of wages you think a shop should receive for the job you do? How long do you think before you were unemployed?

There are a few guys around here that tinker the same as you and want cheap used parts but would demand full wages for their real,full time job.
I give them what I can and don't feel threatened by their existance because they usually deal with the same kinds of folks.The thing is,how long can you receive Walmart prices and service and expect to receive the wages you get?I'm sure you'll do fine but maybe not so much for your grandkids.
It's very rare that a lawnmower or chainsaw goes out of our shop with a bill over $60 unless it is a pro saw in need of a P&C.The largest bill I've done here so far was $1200 for a full rebuild on a exciter for a 1000lb reversing plate tamper but our labour was 5 hours at $60 and the rest was parts.

QuoteAs far as using a dealer,any dealer for repairs I've not met a one that can wrench them as good as myself .That's not bragging just a simple fact of the matter .

I'm not disputing that statement as it's unimportant to me but if I had a nickel for everytime you stated it,I could buy a steak dinner for my wife and I. ;)
I enjoy your posts and your willingness to share your knowledge and that is the truth.

Al_Smith

:D Lively conversation to say the least .

To tell the truth I usually get the pro saws after the dealer says the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the saw .They are honest about it

Example low hours 020T with a cracked oil tank .Dealer probabley 400 labor and all .Good old Al ,used ms 200T crankcase ,flea bay with shipping 50 bucks .Changed the innards in about an hour and a half charged the guy 50 bucks .You work that cheap on saws ?

The trimmer  had 100 bucks in a good running 020T the replacement new of same was over 600 at the time .I don't rob these people but quite truthfully if I don't like them I won't even work on the stuff .I might take a notion to not even charge people .

I'll have to agree with you though if I were in business I'd be bankrupt in short order .Then I'd have to solicite for nickles myself to buy a baloney sandwich .Poor old Al with baloney and Paul with steak ,that's just not right . :D

Paul_H

It works for me  ;D

QuoteYou work that cheap on saws ?
Yes,sometimes I work too cheaply but there are other aspects of the business and things work out in the long run.It's a small town but we service a large area and I like the people,quirks and all.
There are always some freebies and goodwill and it works both ways.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Paul_H on April 04, 2012, 06:59:13 PM

There are always some freebies and goodwill and it works both ways.
Yeah I agee .On that in my own little life it seems an act of kindness is repayed in one form or another about ten fold and often from where you least expect it .

bandmiller2

An apology to one of our sponsers Stihl is in order, I took a rather cheap shot at them that whole heel click thing.They are strict, I'am sure with themselves and their dealerships but thats the price of exelence.The only two new saws I've bought in my life have been Stihl. Frank C.

2458n

IF I was in Defiance Ohio which direction would I look to find Al -Smith?

martyinmi

"...in the center of a giant corn field" of course!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!