iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 460????

Started by Maineloggerkid, March 30, 2008, 08:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maineloggerkid

Im looking at making the switch from husky to stihl. I got to run a 441 today and i liked it pretty well. I am more inclined to get a 460, though, because I sometimes have the need to run a long bar(   36"  ) and I think with a full skip chain it would make a nice saw. Also because the 460 weighs the same as the 441 and has more  power.

Anyone have a 460, or can anyone tell me wehter I am thinking right. I think it would make a good everyday saw, and also be good in times where I need to cut big pine.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Mike_Barcaskey

I had a 460 Magnum and with a few months was trading it in for a 660 Magnum. I also have a 361 and the 460 just wasn't a big enough step up.
I you want to run a 36" bar on any basis other than very infrequently, I would suggest a 660 with a full tooth chain. If you know the difference, every time you run the skip tooth on a 36 with a 460 you wont be happy
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

sawguy21

I agree with Mike. The 460 is not enough for a 36" bar even with skip tooth. Could you use a 28" and work from both sides of the bigger logs if needed?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maineloggerkid

I would have figured that a 460 would handle a 36" bar. My freind ran one and he said it wasn't too bad. My problem is that my budget doesn't really accomodate the price tag of a 660. They must run up around $1000, don't they??  At my local shop, a 460 runs $830.

Dave Shepard

Are you cutting softwoods? That should make a difference. I have run a 32" full comp on my Husky 66 a few times. :D It depends on how much you are going to be in the big wood.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maineloggerkid

Ya, all the big stuff i would need to run the big bar for would be pine. Other than that I would just run a 20" bar on it.

Ed

Go with the 460 and do a dual port muffler conversion. It won't have the power of the 660, but it's within your budget. On a new "choked up" 460, the dual port muffler will really wake it up.
Later on you can have a "woods port" job done on the saw, then you will be right there with the power of the 660.

Ed

timberfaller390

proud to see your going to buy a real saw. Husky is a good saw but Stihls are soo much easier to work on. If you alredy have a good saw then get the biggest saw you can afford then you don't have to worry about it pulling a big bar.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

The 460 will be my only saw, so I don't want to carry a huge saw around. It will be running a 20" bar most of the time, so its not like Im trying to get a real power house, just something that will run a 36" reasonably well on a limited basis.

My husky is new, I bought it at the end of last sseason. I want to trade it in while it is still worth $400 give or take. At $800, I need all the trade in value I can get. I plan to use the 460 as my only saw until I can get the money to by a backup- probably another 460 if I like it.

timberfaller390

In a case like that I'd go with a 441 or 460. I run the 390 Magnum and it pulls chips with a 28 in. bar just fine. that means I can cut a 56 in. DBH tree without to much effort.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

I tend to lean towards a 460, because both the 441 and 460 weigh 14.6 pounds, but the 460 has more power. My buddy ran a 441, and just bought a 460. He said he will never go back.

Can anyone tell me about how this saw compares to a 372XP Husky??

a old timberjack

i log everyday with a 441 with a 20 in bar, 95% of the time i am cutting hardwood, more then enough power 441's and 460's ( magnum series really are not made to rev ) plenty of power for me, and carrying it around the woods and in and out of the skidder 100 times a day......everybody is different but it works for me...Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

timberfaller390

sorry maine not a husky man.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Maineloggerkid

WEll, I am liking what Im hearing both on here and around my area. I think I am going to go to the shop and get a demo 460 for the weekend, if he has one right now. They dont always have demo saws.

PAFaller

For what its worth, there are differences between the 441 and the 460. The 441 is stihls newest addition to there linup that meets recent emissions standards set forth in Europe. If you are concerned about fuel consumption the 441 has much better tree-mileage than a 460, and is also claimed to have a better anti-vibration system. However, the 460 is the true workhorse of stihls 70-80cc lineup, and having worked for a couple years in Maine there isn't going to be much it wont handle just fine.  It also mods real well, and there are builders out there who can tweak a lot of power out of them, which is always an option. I currently chop every day with a built 460, and with a 20 inch bar it will outcut a stock 660 in all but bar-buried stump cuts. When you think about the amount of time spent at the stump compared to all the time spent limbing, topping, and dicing those tops, that weight makes a big difference.
It ain't easy...

johncinquo

Keep your husk, keep from Losing $400.  Buy a used 046 for $400.  Now you have 2 saws, that fill different yet worthy needs. 

What?  Am I the only one that thinks this way?   :D   Maybe thats why I have a section of my garage in shelves loaded with saws.   8)

I picked up about 20 saws on Saturday, but thats a whole nudder discussion.  Lots of old big guns.  A 116cc beast!
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

jokers

The 460 isn`t going to have an appreciable amount more power than your 372. The 460 is however going to vibrate your hands alot more than the 372, don`t go down that path at your young age, it`s too easy to end up with white finger.

Don`t buy a 441 or something similar until you have no choice because all of the older designs are gone from the market. Maybe your 372 would benefit from having the carb tweaked, it would definitely benefit from having the muffler open up and then enricheng your fuel circuits.

Maineloggerkid

Ive already adjusted the jets, but Where can I get info on the muffler mod? I have wanted to do this for some time.

Dwayne Ferguson

if i were you i would hang on to the 372 and save some cash and get a 395 to run the 32" . thats the two that i run and they are both rock solid i run a 20" on the 372 and a 24" and 28" on the 395

Ed

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on April 21, 2008, 06:25:13 AM
Ive already adjusted the jets, but Where can I get info on the muffler mod? I have wanted to do this for some time.

Here  https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29140.0.html

;D

Ed

SawTroll

Quote from: johncinquo on April 07, 2008, 01:28:27 PM
Keep your husk, keep from Losing $400.  Buy a used 046 for $400.  Now you have 2 saws, that fill different yet worthy needs. 

What?  Am I the only one that thinks this way?   :D   Maybe thats why I have a section of my garage in shelves loaded with saws.   8)
Quote from: jokers on April 21, 2008, 01:04:08 AM
The 460 isn`t going to have an appreciable amount more power than your 372. The 460 is however going to vibrate your hands alot more than the 372, don`t go down that path at your young age, it`s too easy to end up with white finger.

Don`t buy a 441 or something similar until you have no choice because all of the older designs are gone from the market. Maybe your 372 would benefit from having the carb tweaked, it would definitely benefit from having the muffler open up and then enricheng your fuel circuits.

Now this tread is moving somewhere interesting...... 8)
Information collector.

Maineloggerkid

Thank You Sponsors!