iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kohler starting problem?

Started by woodhick, March 29, 2008, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I have a woodmizer with a 25hp Kohler.  Mill has 440 hours on it so it's not like it's wore out.   The motor struggles to turn over most of the time.  Have to "bump" key a couple of times to get it to start.   I have heard of other having the same trouble with this motor.  Just wandering what others have done if anything.  I know my battery is in good condition.   
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

WH_Conley

25 Kohler retrofit, same problem, no answer. Carburator icing, start it up and let it run til it floods, give a little fuel by hand on linkage for about 30 seconds, shut off, wait 2-3 minutes. Restart with one of those blue paper shop towels over the front, pull shop towel when you take your coat off.
Bill

woodhick

Haven't had a problem with icing on mine just won't start. :(  Seems as Kohler has a problem with this motor not having a big enough starter but I doubt they'll jump in and fix problem.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

WH_Conley

The onan that came out on it did the exact thing.
Bill

ladylake

I'd check all of the connections. battery, starter, solenoid , ground, crimp on the cables.   My 27HP on my B20 TK always cranked over good except when the battery was shot with a dead cell, then it still cranked but was a little sluggish at the start. It has over 5000 hours. Is the battery on the head or on the frame, if it's on the frame the connection from the frame to the head would be another place to look.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

John Bartley

Quote from: woodhick on March 29, 2008, 10:19:22 PMThe motor struggles to turn over most of the time.  Have to "bump" key a couple of times to get it to start.

Pulling the rocker covers is pretty easy on these motors. Pull the covers and the spark plugs. Get someone to roll the motor by hand while you push down on the tips of the rockers at the valves. See if you can feel a decompression "bump" on one valve for each cylinder (I forget if it's ex or int ... I think it's ex). If you can feel the bump for decompression, then start looking at starter/electrical. If you can't feel the decompression bump, start digging into the motor - weak lifter, worn cam lobe...?

cheers
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

cantcutter

Mine does the same thing sometimes, I think it is a starter issue as I hit the starter with a hammer and it fixes it. Mine is a 2004 and only has 70 hrs on it.

Captain

The OE Nippondenso starters on them are upgradable to a Delphi.  It fixes most problems...

Captain

woodhick

Thanks Captain.  Where is the best place to look for a Delpi starter?  You?  If so how much?

Brucer

I had the same problem, starting at around 300 hours. Didn't think much of it -- just turned the key a second time and away it went. Then last fall I started having trouble with the motor stalling when I used the hydraulics. Sometimes I'd have to jump start it when that happened, but it always started first thing every morning.

I eventually put a battery tester on, and the battery checked out OK. Things didn't improve, so I called Marv at Wood-Mizer. "Needs a new battery", he told me. Well, I had my doubts, 'cause the battery had checked out fine. But he was right. Replaced the battery at 960 hours and haven't had a problem since. The original was less than two years old.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Captain

woodhick, pm me a model and spec number.  I'll reply with a price.

Captain

woodhick

I had to take the starter for my (hum wifes ;))  riding mower  to my starter rebuild guy today.  It's a Kohler magnum 18.  I talked to him about the Command 25 and it's starter and he said he sees a lot of them come in burnt up.  He also said the Delphi's were the best way to fix the problem.  That's what he usally does as he said most of them come in in too bad a shape to rebuild.  Guess I'll wait till I have too rplace it.  He is watching for me a used spare to come in. 

WILDSAWMILL

be sure to check your grounds connection
Kascosaw2B

Thank You Sponsors!