iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DH 4000 softwood question

Started by Lance in Ontario, March 29, 2008, 06:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance in Ontario

The manual for my dh4000 says I can only put in 1500bdft of softwood. Has anyone exceeded the maximum bdft with good results? My kiln will hold about 2500bdft but I would like to put around 2000 bdft in.I have about 15000 bdft  of 4/4 & 8/4 white pine I would like to dry as soon as possible,an extra 500bdft every load will help over the whole process.The pine is green,not sure of mc because the logs/boards are frozen.
Lance

Don_Lewis

You can easily dry 2500-3000 BF of 8/4 Eastern White Pine with a DH4000. If you are mixing 4/4 and 8/4, you can also put in that much or more. Be sure you set the relative humidity so that it is no more than 5% RH below your target MC or the 4/4 will over-dry. The recommendation for 1500 board feet is for fast drying specias such as Spruce, Fir, Southern Yellow Pine etc. that are usually used for construction lumber and speed is more important than even drying. With EWP, you normally take more time because it is used for mouldings and trim and siding and paneling, and it planes best when all the lumber is the same MC

Thank You Sponsors!