iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oil pump on stihl 028

Started by mountaineer, March 08, 2008, 10:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer

trying to change the oil pump on my 028. how do i get the oil pump assembly apart so i can change the oil pump? i can not figure out how it comes off.   thx

MikeH

I just took my 026 all apart trying to figure it out.  You need to get the clutch off, :-\ I do not remember how I did it.  But, you do not need to take the entire saw apart. 

Al_Smith

You have to remove plate and the clutch drum but I don't know if you have to take the actual clutch off or not.If so it really isn't a big deal to do.Block the piston by stuffing a rope through the plug hole and just wrench it off.The clutch is left hand treaded,lefty tighty,righty loosey .

Usually  a Stihl pump doesn't go bad but the drive gears might or in some cases the oil hoses .Those you might check first before any futher disassembley .

Kevin

Check the vent as well, it won't work without it.
It could be plugged.

mountaineer

Kevin

Adjacent to the bar studs.
If you can't locate it, take a picture where the bar studs are and I'll try to point it out.

Al_Smith

Another age old trick for a bum oiler is to rinse the system by running a tank of diesel or kerosine through it. Take pff the chain and let the saw idle with it gong fast enough to engage the clutch.You can rev it a little.Usually 5 minutes of so will tell the tale .

You might first check and see if your pump drive gears are intact. All that entails is removing the plate and take a peek at them .

mike_van

If you take the plastic cover off [5 screws] you should be able to see all you need to. If it's soaked with oil in there, you'll want to clean it out.  There's an E clip on the end of the crank, then the sprocket/drum will slide off. The clutch unscrews CCW, you may need a piston stop to get the clutch itself off. Sometimes I've been told the end of the oil pump [little plastic plug] comes out? There's a pickup tube in the oil tank too, it has a screen on the end of it........Maybe thats all it is is plugged?
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

mountaineer

just got home gonna go to the basement and tinker some. thx for all the info. my next question is what are the differences between the 028 wb and the 028 av super? thinking about buying another saw and would like to get one or the other. i have a good running 028 wb. i have a parts 028 av super.(never run the super)    which one would you all buy?

thx, andy

Kevin

028WB is 43cc , 028AVS is 51.4cc.
Depends on your specific purpose for the saw.

mountaineer

i finally tried getting the clutch off. i put a rope in to stop the piston (and not a small one) it  cuts through it and turns. it  feels like the piston is moving to the left or right to slice and get by the rope. i am turning clockwise (righty loosey) i can not get it to come off. any suggestions?

thx andy

Kevin

The piston should be above the ports before putting the rope inside.
You don't want to get rope stuck in there.

mountaineer

good thing im learning on my parts saw. there doesnt seem to be much of an area to grab on to on the clutch nut. i slip off very easily. do i just muscle it?

Kevin

If it's a nut it will be a left hand thread so clockwise to loosen.
You need to shock load it.
Put the proper socket or wrench on it and smack the wrench with a hammer or hardwood.

mountaineer

finally got the clutch off and ive decided to take the saw completely apart to see how to do it. the next thing is the flywheel. is there anything that holds the flywheel on besides the nut? i got the nut off and it does not seem to want to come off. also how do i get the piston / crankshaft apart as well? i've come this far so.....      thx andy   

mike_van

Flywheel has only the nut, you're supposed to have a flywheel puller to remove it. I've done quite a few though with two screwdrivers prying under it [easily] and a sharp rap on the end of the crankshaft with a BRASS hammer.  The piston comes off the rod with little clips in the wristpin. The other end stays on the crankshaft.  There's a zillion needle bearings in there.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!