iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening plug cutters

Started by ohsoloco, March 28, 2008, 07:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Today I cut some walnut plugs for some breadboard ends on a couple coffee table tops.  It's a cheap plug cutter set I got from Harbor Freight years ago...it's done alright for me.  I think I could've started a fire today with some of the embers I made   :-\  The smoke was really cranking out of the holes. 

How exactly do you sharpen a plug cutter  ???  It looks like the one in the link below.  I just googled plug cutter and saw this one first. 

plug cutter

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ohsoloco

Should I file the angled part right at the "tip"?  Any other parts I should touch up?

shopteacher

I sharpen them with a diamond sharpening stone and water.  Sharpen the bevel edge at the tip of the cutter. Try to maintain the same angle all the way around.  You could make a little jig out of wood the keep the angle consistant and maybe find a piece of rigid tube to fit over the shank of the plug cutter. That way you could lenghten it for a better grip and to rotate the cutter against the angled piece of wood and the face of the sharpening stone.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

fstedy

Don't forget to sharpen the inside of the slot. I think you'll find thats where the cutting is going on not the bottom bevel.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

ohsoloco

fstedy, I got to looking at the cutter, and it dawned on me that is what is doing all the cutting.  Just a dozen strokes or so with an auger bit file got me cutting wood again, not burning it   :)

Thank You Sponsors!