iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw vs. chainsaw

Started by fabmaster911, April 26, 2008, 10:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabmaster911

This may be coming out of left field but who makes the lightest most powerful chainsaw engine? I'm going to convert one for an airplane but don't have any knowledge of the different manufacturers.

Mooseherder

We definitely will be needing some pictures of that there airplane. ;D fly_smiley air_plane

fabmaster911

I like your airplane. F-14? I guess I should have mentioned i'm thinking in the 60cc to 80cc range. I'll be spinning around a 22" prop and i'm hoping for around 9 to 10,000 R.P.M.

sawguy21

A chainsaw engine would work but there are better choices for your application. Have a look here www.aero-sports.com/airhobbies/about.html
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

fabmaster911

I actually used to have one of those sachs engines. It's the $700.00 price tag that scares me. I figure get a good used saw engine and put it on a diet. Plus the challenge of it all appeals to me. Using a lathe and all.

Woodchuck53

Fabmaster are you looking for a lathe also? I have a Southbend 13x50 engine lathe for sale. Sounds like quite a project there? Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

fabmaster911

People do it all the time. I'm just not happy unless i'm doing three or four projects at a time. How much does a lathe cost now days? I just use the one at work even though they get a little *pithed.

beenthere

Quote from: fabmaster911 on April 27, 2008, 04:32:58 AM
............... I just use the one at work even though they get a little *pithed.
How dare they do such a thing.... :)
....you must be in control.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

Too bad you are so far away woodchuck, I'd like a bigger Southbend. I just made a deal yesterday for a Craftsman 101 (Atlas 10"  ;) )

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodchuck53

This would fix you up Dave. I have a chance to buy the one I use at my third job but promised the wife I would sell this one first. So goes the way of things because I really like my Southbend. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

johncinquo

Dolmar and sachs made engines for small planes.  Bombadier still makes em for large ones like a ultralight or the parachute ones. 

I have a sachs snowmobile engine that could be put to good use.  I was going to use it for another chainsaw, but too many projects as it is.   

Let me know when you get it done, I'll send ya a quote for some life insurance. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!