iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood from TexasTimbers

Started by getoverit, March 27, 2008, 12:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

Just wanted to share a project that I have just completed with wood that I bought from one of our own FF members, TexasTimbers. This is Box Elder, which he was kind enough to quarter saw and ship to me about this time last year. I was able to dry the wood and build a new guitar with it. This is a prototype guitar what will be shown at the upcoming Newport-Miami guitar festival in April.

This guitar was purpose designed for performing artists that usually play electric guitars, but need an acoustic guitar that plays like an electric. It has a B-band A-11 acoustic pickup in it and fills all of the requirements that it was designed for. The bridge, fingerboard, binding and headplate were all made out of a 1x4 piece of bloodwood that I bought locally.

I might also add that the bridge was made using my CNC machine, which highpockets was instrumental in helping me get set up and running. His help was GREATLY appreciated in helping me with this CNC work.

The finish on this guitar is a catalyzed polyester. It is a fairly new finish being manufactured for stringed instruments and is MUCH more durable than the traditional nitrocellulose finishes. On top of that, the stuff is so clear that it looks "miles" deep.

Many thanks to TexasTimbers and HighPockets for their help in this project!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Sprucegum

8) Awesome piece of work  8)

Does that blood wood grow locally also? How difficult is the "new" finish to work with?

thecfarm

That looks some nice.Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

BEAUTIFUL WORK.  Would love to hear how it sounds.  Do you have any sound clips made?    8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ironwood

Cool, thanks for sharing, I hope it gets rave reveiws.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dakota

Dave Rinker

getoverit

The new finish is easy to work with. It is MUCH more scratch and ding resistant than the traditional nitro finish, but it is actually a thinner coat which makes it more sonically transparent. This is a good thing.

The bloodwood is an exotic wood (south america I believe), and is not grown locally. I bought that wood at a local woodcraft store.

I have bought quite a bit of wood from FF members. Most of it is drying still, but this wood I was able to expedite the drying so that I could build with it.

I will have some more pictures and sound clips of some of the world's best pickers playing this guitar after I get back from the Miami guitar show in April. I'll be sure to post some clips of it when I get them. I already have contracts to build guitars for some of the world's best artists and will get started on those guitars soon also. I am a blessed man!

Thanks again for the kind comments!

metalspinner

8) 8)

Very beautiful work, GOI!

Sounds like you created a new market.  Geat job!

TT,
Beautiful wood, as always. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Outstanding craftsmanship (and my hat's off to you for acknowledging great service and help from other FF members!)

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

That is really cool, goi. 8) I started to learn accoustic guitar in high school, but never pursued it for some reason. I'd like to learn to play someday.

Being the wood is from Texas, would that be properly known as a gee-tar?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Thats an amazing job. Very cool.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodbeard

That's really cool, Ken!
What wood is the top ?
Please tell about the soundholes, as well. I am intrigued.

getoverit

The top on this one is Englemann spruce. The sound holes are 1" holes placed along the x-brace in the guitar and are inlayed with bloodwood "flames" that I cut from the original piece of bloodwood I bought.

OneWithWood

Makes me wish I could actually play  :D

Two tin ears and no timing  -  I could be a rock star  :D :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DWM II

That is one fine instrument 8). I'm not any good, but I'd love to strum it myself. Its beautiful thanks for sharing and good luck at the Miami festival.
Stewardship Counts!

Norm

That is very nice work GOI.  :)

Handy Andy

My son's a guitar player.  He plays with Billy Bob Thornton in the Boxmasters.  He's been working for several years  as a recording engineer.  Think he didn't figure he was good enough to make it as an artist, so went to Full Sail recording school at Winter Park Florida.  But now the music seems to be working for him. Touring in July, Aug and part of September.  If you google Boxmasters, there are several clips of them on Youtube you can see.  This guitar building is intriguing.  Wish my eyes were better.  Hard to start something new in your 50's.  JIm
My name's Jim, I like wood.

SwampDonkey

Nice craftsmanship and wood as well.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Ken,

I believe you could make a sheet of 3/4" CDX look good. You are a true talent.

Every single luthier who inquires about the wood, sees your geetar (yes Dave that is true in Texas, and we don't have violins we have fiddles) as an example, since all my replies to luthiers always contain your images alone. I have many other photos I could use but yours are the only ones that go to a luthier if that tells you what I think of your work. ;)

Y'all who want to see a close up of this, and Ken's other works of art should visit his website. I really believe his guitars will eventually start showing up in the hands of various high profile entertainers and bands. Congratulations on finding your niche Ken. :)

P.S. As much of this stuff that has gone into geetars I have never got to hear it. I need to ring you up so you can strum it a few times for me at least! :)

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

getoverit

Feel free to call, but wait till after the Miami show which ends next weekend. Don Aldr, the 2007 International fingerpicking champion and Kinloch Nelson (PBS musician) are scheduled to do mini-concerts using my guitars, and Kinloch is set to use this particular guiar. I will have some videos and recordings on my website shortly after the show of these two masters of the guitar playing my guitars.

Thanks again for the kindness :)

Burlkraft

Congratulations Ken...... 8) 8) 8)

You do some fantastic work and just remeber your old friends here at The Forestry Forum when yer rich and famous  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

getoverit

I just got back from the Newport-Miami guitar festival, and I took this guitar with me. It was a real show stopper and everyone that stopped had to ask what kind of wood it was :)

Here is a picture of Kinloch Nelson, the guy who does all of the guitar recording for PBS (shows like the new yankee work shop) and a lot of the television and radio recordings test driving the guitar. I think everybody was impressed with both the wood, craftsmanship, and the overall design of the guitar.

TexasTimbers

Ken that's great!  8)

Have you made a recording of this guitar where you could post at least a short wav file or video? I bet I'm not the only one wanting to hear it.

getoverit

I havent made a recording yet, but I will soon. Your wood was a BIG hit at the show!

on a funny note, One woman asked about the worm holes and I explained how the red color was a reaction of the tree to the worm. The only thing she seemed to hear was that there was a worm in the wood and she asked "Did you kill the worm??" :D :D  She didnt want to know that I killed a worm in order to make the guitar......go figure...

TexasTimbers

Beetle. Use the word beetle. It is A) more accurate and B) Less "icky" to women.  :D

"No mam, it's an Ambrosia Beetle. An absolutley beautiful creature itself, and they never get harmed. We don't do worms except when we fish."  ;D

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D

Reminds me of the time I had aerial photos of Mars Hill at a trade fair, which is just a stones throw from my land in New Brunswick. Some lady from down in Connecticut was visiting relatives I guess and she demanded to know what I was doing with photos of land over Maine. I guess she thought I was running some aerial spy ring or something and had nothing to do with stereoscopes and aerial photography used in forestry.  :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

getoverit

This isnt wood from Texas Timbers, but is another dreadnaught guitar that I took to the Miami guitar festival. Here is a video of a guy test driving the guitar. I think his comments about the guitar says it all :)

I am a blessed man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1--ws29dbuk

Burlkraft

That is awesome Ken.... 8)  8)  8)

Good on ya, Man  ;D  ;D  ;D

I wonder who made the carpet selection there  ???  ???  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

TexasTimbers

That guitar sounds great even through my chinsy laptop speakers! Would love to hear it in the hands of a Dickey Betts or Steve Howe.

Woud like to hear that red one in the hands of . . . .anyone! ;D

Part_Timer

I was at Ken's last year and heard him play some of the instruments he has made.  They sound awsome.  The craftsmanship is first class all the way. Congrats Ken.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

Quote from: Burlkraft on April 22, 2008, 04:18:56 PM
That is awesome Ken.... 8)  8)  8)

Good on ya, Man  ;D  ;D  ;D

I wonder who made the carpet selection there  ???  ???  :D  :D  :D

It is Miami, Anytown, South America. They have strange tastes in the lower part of this state. I have been all over South America, Central America and the Carribbean. This was the first time I had been to Miami in decades, outside of just passing through the airport. Miami has got to where every part of it looks just like any big city you would find in South America.

They have one of the biggest scams alive going with the parking situation. It's a no-win situation unless you happen to work for the parking police.....long story behind that statement :)

Of course I sell my guitars. I feel like I have been given a gift to do so and have been blessed with customers who appreciate their value. Still, to see the reaction of some ordinary guy like this one who has just been handed his first handcrafted guitar makes all of my efforts seem worth while. It was the same feeling I got when I was sawing and would see the customer's eyes light up when they saw the first board come off of the logs that grew on their own property.

Never loose sight of why you went into the business you are in. If it is strictly about the money, you will never be happy no matter what you are doing in life.

OneWithWood

Quote from: getoverit on April 22, 2008, 09:55:45 PM
Never loose sight of why you went into the business you are in. If it is strictly about the money, you will never be happy no matter what you are doing in life.

and those, my friends, are some of the most true words ever written!

Good philosophy and excellent work, GOI.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DanG

Here's some more true words for ya.  Those guitars are absolutely beautiful!  I can say that because I had the privilege of stopping by GOI's place last week for a brief visit, and he showed them to me.  I don't know anything about guitars, but I know quality when I see it and those instruments are first rate.

Good going, Ken!  I think you've found your calling.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

You sure have set the bar high for us aspiring woodworkers Ken, absolutely beautiful work   (bowing smiley paying homage)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Sparty

I'm working on restoring a family heirloom, a copy of a strad violin made in the late 1800s.  Man do I wish I had the skill and experiance that you have.  Great looking guitar! I can't wait to start my first guitar, I'm just scared of what it would sound like  :D

getoverit

I dont talk about my first one .... and I try to hide it when people come over too. I even have a few that somehow didnt get burned in the fireplace that should be. I keep them around to help remind me of where I came from and to keep me humble.

you never will know what it sounds like if you dont build the first one. Be warned though, this craft is HIGHLY addictive!

red

More Guitar information from Ken Hodges member getoverit 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: getoverit on April 16, 2008, 10:24:26 PM
I just got back from the Newport-Miami guitar festival, and I took this guitar with me. It was a real show stopper and everyone that stopped had to ask what kind of wood it was :)

Here is a picture of Kinloch Nelson, the guy who does all of the guitar recording for PBS (shows like the new yankee work shop) and a lot of the television and radio recordings test driving the guitar. I think everybody was impressed with both the wood, craftsmanship, and the overall design of the guitar.

Just reading through this thread after Red brought it up and was surprised to come across this post. I've known Kinloch for about a decade and work with him at the Woodstock Invitational. During the day he does workshops and other stuff, and at the end of the weekend he organizes the music the music and players for the after party and I work as his roadie setting it up. A super musician with incredible chops.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!