iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something about a cemetrary.

Started by flip, March 26, 2008, 07:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

This is my second big tree out of the same 1/4 acre lot, the last one was a big RO, this is a nice 40+" WO blow over. 

This is an ominous sign :o...  Shouldn't there be a movie about this ??? ??? ::)

Burried about 2' under the tree face down, made a nice impression in the dirt.

A little gut rot in the center but a lot of good stuff on the outside.

I made John work a little, he needed some painting practice ;D

Where's a swinger when you need one :(
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Dan_Shade

swinger?  quarter that thing with a chainsaw and get a pile of 16" + wide quartersawn boards!!!!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

flip

Every time I see or get a log like this I pull up the old thread about "homebuilt slabber".  Finances have stalled the project for now but after the tax check comes back it may be a different story.

metalspinner

That's a nice one, flip! 8)

Yeah, the cemetaries around here have biggun's in it, too.  I should introduce myself to the groundskeeper. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

roger 4400

What color will be the final coat??????????????   Very nice logs I,m jealous
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

Tom

What's thehistory behind the cemetery sign?    ???

flip

Across the street is a very old church and grave yard for Ireland (city) locals.  There are a bunch of big old trees that have not been touched for eons and now they are starting to sucumb to nature.  The side of the street we are on is a 1/4 acre or less where they established a pet cemetary and there are probably a dozen or so head stones to puss the cat or rover the dog.  This particlar stone was sitting about 6 feet from the stump of the tree and just marked the dedication of the pet side of the cemetary.  The guy that has been hooking us up with trees from the property is on the board that oversees the church and grounds.  He also restores repairs old headstones in old cemetarys around our area, some predate the civil war.  There is an un written agreement with Shiloh that if we take a tree that Junie, our contact, gets some of the lumber for projects around the church. 

MikeH

thecfarm

Going to saw the logs there? Or what? That sounds like a good agreement to me.Hate to see those big ones go,but sometimes they do it for us.But when they are on the ground and on the way to a sawmill they sure do look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

getoverit

I wouldnt get too spooked about the monument unless you start seeing 2 red eyes lurking in the twilight darkness..
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

JV

Yeah, but if one of those doggy headstones says Cujo, I would'nt go out there at night.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Bodger

Send some pictures of ya'll getting those in the back of the truck.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

metalspinner

QuoteI should introduce myself to the groundskeeper

Come to think of it,  we will all get introduced to him sooner or later... :'(

flip

Since the log trailer is not 100% finished yet our rollback wrecker is going to pick them up and dump them out at the farm.  Going to 1/4 it then QS all I can. 

MS,
Yup we all going to be tree fertilizer sooner or later. :)

sunriseseamless

This is obviously a newbie question.  Why do you paint the ends?  Does it help with checking?

Norm

Yes that's the reason it's done. Some woods are worse than others about checking on the ends. For me the worst is black cherry but all hardwoods benefit from a thick coating of anchorseal right after being felled.

Robert Long

Nice blue paint!       Do you plan to trim the log in beige?  :D :D

What would be nice to do is with a log like that, record all steps of it being felled, milled,dried, dressed,and the project it will become and post it for all of us to enjoy over the next 2 or 3 years.

What a project that would be! ;D

Robert

Woodchuck53

Evening, fine log you have there. I have a contact with their old family cemetary that has turned me on to large red oak from time to time. Had to go out and find a saw to do the job. Routinely put my old 0-90G Stihl with 60" bar into to trunk after it is on the ground. Painting the ends has helped a lot and also rolling them over into my stock pond till I can get to them. Those look just the size to enjoy an afternoon of making saw dust. Have fun. Will want to see some of the finish projects also. Have a great day Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

flip

We put the smaller of the 2 logs on 4x4s yesterday evening in preparation to split it into 1/4s.  I don't know how to figure weight but it was everything the old backhoe had to pick it up and still be able to turn.  Will try and get the saw in it this weekend and take some pics.  I have a ton of RO that is quarter, rift and flat sawn, we are going to QS as much of this as we can.  Gotta love QSWO!

sunriseseamless

If I remember right, you can figure about 50 lbs/cuft for White Oak.  So follow the math and make sure I remember high school geometry. ::)
40" = 3.33 ft, so radius is 1.66 ft.  Pie R2 would make that 8.75 sq ft on the end ???.  If your log is 9' you'd have almost 80 cu ft.  Times 50#/cuft equals 3935 lbs.
Does two tons sound about right?  ???

Furby

5026.56 pounds for a 9' x 40" Red Oak as per the toolbox on the left of your screen. :)

sunriseseamless

That was easy.  Who needs an easy button anyway? :)

flip

Here are a few pics. of the smaller log we worked up yesterday.  Since gas is so cheap ::) and my chains are real sharp ::) we decided to it the hard way.  I made one slice in the end and made a little hole for the jack, we started with a 2 1/2 ton but moved up to 12 ton.

We got the one half on ready for the quarter cut and made a slight miscalculation.  The head was all the way up and we just barely cleared.  Had to trim slightly on the stop side with my sharp chainsaw ::)

Got some killer QS out of this WO.  Think it will go into the "Special Reserve" area for future projects.  Come to think of it, almost everything we cut is in the "Special Reserve" area, oh well.  My name is Phil and I'm a figured wood-aholic. :)

metalspinner

That split perfectly! 8) 8)

I should give that a try some time. :)

olyman

Thank You Sponsors!