iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new one on me

Started by Furby, March 26, 2008, 01:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

While back I ended up with a pile of cabinet doors and such (some of them are in the for sale section) and part of the pile was shelves for entertainment centers and such.
Seeing how they were plastic laminate over particle board, I really have no use for them and figure I'll probly end up trashing them.

Well I'm working on bulding a set of bunk beds for the place at the lake and trying to use up scrap stuff to build them.
Got the idea to use the shelves for the platforms.
Got my cordless skill saw out and cut one off to the right length.
Now these things were heavy, but didn't feel like other particle board shelves I've had to mess with before and they sure did cut nice.
Finished my cut and boy was I surprised! :o

There is a layer of plastic, luan board and then the center section is cardboard with three metal beams and particle board around the outside edges and then another layer of luan board and then the plastic laminate again.
Never seen such an engineered shelf! :D
Never even noticed the blade throwing sparks either, as it went right through like butter. :)

Dave Shepard

I've seen some weird stuff too, but never that! You have to wonder who dreams it up. It has to go through the bean counters too, to prove it's a viable product.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

moosehunter

How's that saw blade look now ???
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Furby

Carbide, so it's pretty good.
Cut some 2x after that and it cut good but a bit slower.

fstedy

I've seen that before in some lower grade interior doors. It's a surprise when you're fitting a door and you find that construction.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

rebocardo

What is even a bigger surprise is when someone messes up a door lock set or tries to install a doggie door and calls you over to fix it after they butchered it. When I go door fixing now, I carry my sawzall with bi-metal blades and the mapquest directions to the nearest Home Depot.   ;)  :D

Deadwood

That's plastic Core plywood, we use it by the truckload, but then again I work for a boat building company. Its awesome stuff as far as boatbuilding goes, it has a nice veneer face to it, yet its lightweight and does not have the moisture issue that cardboard core wood have. I am a machinist so I don't work directly with the stuff, but it cuts, saws and stuff just fine according to the woodworkers I work along side of.

Here is a picture of our last boat. This is a shot of the galley and main saloon. Here they used White Birch Plastic Core Plywood for the majority of the inside woodwork.

flip

:o :o :o

Don't need nuttin' dat fancy to fish from do ya???
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Tom

Boats like that won't catch fish, flip. :D

Warbird

Quote from: Tom on March 28, 2008, 11:26:46 AM
Boats like that won't catch fish, flip. :D

Boats like that catch something else, entirely...

sawdust

I suspect they do a good job catching scantily dressed groupies. Groupies are a kind of fish arent they?
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Furby

Don't know about fish, but they sure can be fishy Sawdust! ;)

This stuff is cardboard in the center Deawood.
I just went down and tore some out. Looks, feels, burns and smells like cardboard.
Does the stuff they use by you have the steel struts in them?

asy

Tellya what, I'd like to fish from THAT boat!!!  WOWWEE!!!

Deadwood, just out of curiosity, that's not YOUR boat, is it? It's one at work, isn't it??? 

Coz if it's YOURS, I suspect you best not admit it or we'll be organising a fishing trip, or with the size of THAT boat, I'll be suggesting you come over and pick me up so we can go to the FF PiggyRoast.   :D

Now, back to the topic at hand...   Puh, there's a bottom rail in the door, usually, a piece of 'timber' about an inch thick that fits into the bottom of the door to stabilise the bottom and stop 'creatures' taking up residence in there... When you trim off the bottom of the door, you're supposed to remove the bottom rail and replace it into the 'new bottom' of your door.

Enjoy.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Thank You Sponsors!